What-If Question Concerning the Stormlands

The Grey Wolf

They could easily have evaded being burnt alive. By walking out of the gates of StormĀ“s End to bend their own knees, and leaving the gates open and their Queen in her dress and crown on her throne. Would it have kept her dignity if she could honestly say she fought to "last man", being a woman left alone when all men deserted her?

Arresting her AND stripping her naked was not the only decision they could have made to save their skins. Yet it was the decision they did carry out.

Oh, and other equally relevant women vanish from record. We never hear what became of Sharra Arryn, or Rhaena the Black Bride, or Princess Aerea.

This.

It isn't only that they betrayed her, it is for a big part how. They didn't just disobey her, they disrespected her. A good ruler needs respect form their lords. As I said, it takes more than just a good idea to be a good ruler. It takes ability to realize the idea. If she just spent her time in her castle screaming how great her plans are and how the stupid lords refuse to carry her orders, she would not be a good queen, even if she was right. Also, i don't know what you imagine as "legend", but for me, it is incomparably more than just a "good" ruler. Her situation was very, very hard one, I do not blame her for failing, I am not calling her a bad ruler. But a legendary person would succeed, that's what would make them legendary.

Daenerys is average ruler. I was going to explain but then I realized this thread would immediately turn into a discussion about her, so better not.

Hoares were surrounded by 5 kingdoms, all of which had reason to fear. Starks, Arryns, Durrandons, Gardeners, Lannisters.

They aren't even a remote threat to the Arryns and the Arryns had a boy king besides, they can only do petty raids on the North, and the North would be even more exposed to those if they marched on them, and the Gardeners are probably of the mindset of "fuck 'em both". The recent Hoare kings have been the type of guys you don't want to fuck with if you don't have to.

They aren't even a remote threat to the Arryns and the Arryns had a boy king besides, they can only do petty raids on the North, and the North would be even more exposed to those if they marched on them, and the Gardeners are probably of the mindset of "fuck 'em both". The recent Hoare kings have been the type of guys you don't want to fuck with if you don't have to.

Combine that with really no love for the Durrandons at all, and you have the situation.

Combine that with really no love for the Durrandons at all, and you have the situation.

On the other hand, I did get the feeling that the Riverlords were more or less ready to rise for almost anyone who chose to "liberate" (or even just flat out invade) the Trident area, with the notable exception of the Durrandons themselves. If, for the sake of argument, Jonnel Arryn had grown up to be a martial king, and decided to invade, I'm fairly certain that the Tullys, Blackwoods, Brackens, Mallisters, and Freys at the least would have risen for him. If Harren had decided to invade the Stormlands however, then they likely would have all decided to revolt (separately). So, overall, I do not think that it was totally hopeless for the Durrandons- if anything, I would say the Reach and Dorne were likely to be greater concerns.

Archived