You're the female heir to the IT, what do you do?

TheWitch

Simple question really. You're the heir to the Iron Throne BUT you're a woman, you're dad the king wants you to become next ruler. So how are you going to consolidate your power and make sure the throne stays with you.

Feel free to shake it up! Do you have close male relatives? Is a certain house defying you? Who do you marry? Do you have dragons?

First, I investigate the magic that took my man bits and gave me a uterus.

In all seriousness, I look at it realistically. I have to marry, and in all likelihood, I need a male figurehead in the Westerosi world. I try and find some oaf, similar to Mace Tyrell, that I can manipulate into doing what I want. Marry him, rock his world, and then work mainly behind the scenes.

Now, if I'm in a situation like Arianne would be in Dorne, or like Dany potentially is when/if she wins the IT, who cares, I am THE ruler, not just the royal spouse? I'd basically do the same thing I'd do as a male, except now some of my enemies may only hate me because of my gender. Still doesn't change the fact that I need to subvert them.

As mentioned, find a husband from a powerful family and one that you can think won't simply take all power away from you after the marriage. If possibly I might even marry a second or third son, like Mara of Acoma does in that series, so that I can perhaps gain some advantage from that angle and if possible make the children take my name.

I'm assuming that I am a Targ without Dragons

I would marry for heirs obviously, and for allies. Thats why I think I younger Tyrell would be a very good call. I would have the military might and wealth of the Reach behind me. I wouldn't intermarry because I think it would be stargically weak. I would also marry as many of my heirs to the other great houses so that I would have nation wide support, marrying them of as soon as I could. If Iv'e married out of my own family it will mean I have too take control of government, as other great lords wouldn't want a Tyrell on the throne. I would be assertive but recognise the pomp and ceremony I would have to bring. I would be charitable and merciful like a 'good' woman, show a great deal of piety and make sure I LOOKED regal and powerful.

Immediately marry a man without a backbone, but still has a relatively good claim. Then bend him to my needs, most notably to change Westeros' societal standards so that women can rule, without a man. After that's done, at least 2 children to strengthen my family's claim.

If I was a woman and queen I would marry someone who combines power with decency. Either Edmure or Willas Tyrell. And in the first case still try to befriend the Tyrells and promise them things and in the later the same with Edmure, maybe arrange a marriage between him and an attractive relative. I follow a similar view to what I posted in the choose your small council threads. Try to choose decent, skilled people for my small council and keep the biggest number of crazy deceitful assholes out. Personality and trustworthiness would be important, though being known for being a good person who doesn't betray isn't the same with being a yes man.

Become super pious and cloak myself in the Seven. That way, if anyone is questioning your legitimacy, they are doing that of the reigning religion. Any houses that aren't rebellious have a vested interest in keeping the status quo social order. Furthermore, I could raise support for suppressing the Iron Islands, the North, and any other "godless" lands under the auspices of religion.

I wouldn't marry, both because it would compromise my piety and it would invite power from the outside. I would secure my successor, however, in order to avoid any conflicts about succession. My successor would probably be the child of one of my siblings, in birth order, regardless of gender. I would appoint a council of Septons to carry out inquisitions to nominally search for enemies of the faith, but instead they would look those plotting against me. I would be nothing but merciful to my enemies, using their trials as an opportunity to showcase my forgiveness and love for the people of the seven kingdoms. Probably send them to the Wall and confiscate a portion of their lands and wealth.

I would arrange marriages between my house and both domestic and foreign interests. I would pursue trade policies designed to maximize importation and exportation so in the event that I had civil issues I could call upon my foreign allies that depended on my reign for trade for assistance.

The problem with this 'marry a man with no backbone' plan so many of you are running with is that he may grow a backbone along the way. Or have one all along and play you for a fool. Or his family may grow one for him. Elizabeth I never married to avoid that issue.

First move is to get great bodyguards becausethere is a real risk you'll get murdered early on. After that, to secure your rule you need to start shifting the basis of your legitimacy from : 'Child of previous king' to something a little more solid. The IT is such a paper monarchy that there is no shortage of place to start. Impementing an actual code lof law (one that support your right to rule at every turn)? Try to increase the crown holdings (It's completely absurd that the king has less lands and holdings that his most important vassals!)? Abandon some despotic powers in favor of increased legitimacy by including the other kingdoms in governance through some rudimentary parliementary system? Actually boter to develop the country with engineering projects such as a real road network (The King's road ain't even paved!) so that you get vast support from your subjects who are completely shock to see a sovereign actually care for his damn country...

As is the IT is a completely shitty and crazy place to rule even if you are a man. It was built pretty much as just a no-hassle tribute collecting system by guys who had dragons and obviously little interest in the dirty business of governance. It can't go on like that.

1. Form a powerful army

2. Form a powerful council

3. Get the people to love me

4. Keep the lords in line, make sure to get support from the most important ones by making them gifts and honors, but still not spoil them too much.

5. NOT marry until my power is so solid and real that any attempts from my husband gain power over me are quickly vanquished.

1. Form a powerful army

2. Form a powerful council

3. Get the people to love me

4. Keep the lords in line, make sure to get support from the most important ones by making them gifts and honors, but still not spoil them too much.

5. NOT marry until my power is so solid and real that any attempts from my husband gain power over me are quickly vanquished.

Form a powerful army can't be step one. You need a lot of ressources to field a powerful army, wich the crownland does not have. So develop your holdings comes before develop your army. But It's long term work though. A marathon that will last your entire reign and will mostly benefit your heir (or youself in 30 years if you reign that long). So you need other, short term ways to develop your legitimacy.

My list of what I'd do (regardless of gender):

-get the love of the common folk (travel much, give much)

-find ways to reduce the taxes

-marry someone decent (like Willas Tyrell, Sansa Stark) from a paramount house; if there is no one decent, then any scum would do (until a male heir is born)

-trust the people of the court as much as Aerys did, but show it less

-do extreme things such as punishing severely the crimes and rewarding generously the good deeds (the best laziest way to ensure that, as a ruler, you're both loved and feared)

-find a hand not afraid of doing the dirty work, or playing the bad cop if needed (so I won't get much hatred directed at me)

-attend religious ceremonies

I would flirt my ass off and try to make all the lords think they have a shot at marrying me. I would give everyone who tried to court me a solid maybe with a wink trying to hint at a yes. I would find some excuse not to marry and pretend I am still looking for suitors. THen, no one would want to attack me because that would hurt their chance of marrying me.

First off, make sure I'm super hot.

Flirt it up, get all the fellas interested in me.

Be charitable, travel the realm. Get the smallfolk to love me.

Arrange to be kidnapped by some random people (bandits or something will do). The realm will freak out, and want to save me. Eventually they will, and I will be even more beloved than before.

Marry some loser with a good family, bust out a couple kids, then arrange for said loser to die tragically.

Be strong and powerful, but kind.

Surround myself with loyal bodyguards.

Archived