Screw Mars, let's go ballooning on Venus!

KAH

Apologies if this has made its rounds on the board already, I've been here very infrequently the latest months...but thought this was kinda cool.

Screw Mars, let's go ballooning on Venus!

This idea dates back to the Russians in the 1970s. The surface of Venus is far too hot, and the atmosphere too dense, for Earth life. However, our air is a lifting gas on Venus with about half the lifting power of helium on Eath. A habitat filled with normal air will float high in the dense Venus atmosphere, The atmospheric pressure there is the same as Earth sea level (1 bar). Temperatures are perfect for Earth life too, just over 0°C.

Also, just as weather balloons naturally rise to their operating level high in our atmosphere - and don't need to be engineered to hold in high pressures, so it works in the same way for our habitats on Venus. They float at a level where the pressure is equal inside and out, and can be of light construction. It is arguably the most hospitable region for humanity in our solar system, outside of Earth itself.

I have it on good authority that the Venusians (Venians?) are not so picky as the Martians, and will, in fact, welcome their new OVERlords...aah ha ha ...ha.

OK, that was probably a new low for me.

Wouldn't wind speeds of up to 700 km/hr in the middle atmosphere pose a problem? Without a hard line of density change (like the difference between ocean water and atmosphere on Earth) wouldn't these floating habitats flip over constantly, too? And then there's the sulphuric acid rain...

Wouldn't wind speeds of up to 700 km/hr in the middle atmosphere pose a problem? Without a hard line of density change (like the difference between ocean water and atmosphere on Earth) wouldn't these floating habitats flip over constantly, too? And then there's the sulphuric acid rain...

Pfft! Killjoy!

I actually read that LONG article. It's an interesting idea, but it points out that in the end virtually anywhere on earth is more preferable to anywhere outside (including arctic, under ocean, death valley, Everest, etc).

Pretty much the main 2 benefits of Venus is pressurization in the upper atmosphere, and availability of gas/minerals. Mining specific astroids probably are significantly better for the latter, and for the first, it does not seem to be a HUGE issue considering you don't want to mix the atmospheres anyway. I sure as shit would not want sulfuric acid leaks...

wouldn't these floating habitats flip over constantly, too?

Yes, some people pay good money to go on roller-coasters, so ostensibly colonists will pay an entertainment premium of some kind, which will include the random spatial reorientation of the colony.

And then there's the sulphuric acid rain...

Which means the squeaky clean exterior of the floating colony will be something the colonists can aspire to mimic on the structure's interior, keeping a clean, healthy and presentable environment that all colonists can take pride in.

Turn that frown upside-down! Just like the new colony!

The Russians also had plans to terraform Venus (in the 70s), by using microorganisms like algae. Glad to see our grand visions have become smaller over time, funding must be a bear.

Since Indians and Russians were close before the cold war ended, we got discount russian books including science ones. A lot of their ideas were laid out in such books.....

Hogwash Martian propaganda.

Yeah, right. The only thing I trust less than a balloon is a NASA gyroscope. Those suckers had to fake the moon landing so there is no way they're getting a non-flippy balloon* hovering over Venus.

ETA: * a non-flippy balloon that won't get blown into powerlines.

I won't ride in a balloon and I'm certainly not living in one. Period. Those things are always getting blown into power lines and shit.

Power lines is only the secondary priority on Venus, so there will be a grace period before you get blown into one.

As for shit, methinks you want to keep fecal matter disposal indoors...700 km/hr wind speeds is a mighty fan for the shit to hit.

Archived