US Politics: A Game of Pedantry

awesome possum

Nestor,

Thanks for the breakdown of the justices positions on the ACA decision. I'd forgotten all about that. Or maybe didn't know the specifics in the first place.

To your question:

Honestly, in terms of general perception and the general public, I don't even really know what the difference is supposed to be between a "tax" and a "penalty" other than meaningless political rhetoric.

In terms of public perception?

A tax is something people pay to fund the government. There's basically no reason other then that.

A penalty is a fine you pay for doing something wrong.

If you think when it comes to the government, these two overlap heavily, you'd be right. But language is ambiguous like that.

Maybe John McCain, since he's full of fucking opinions on the use of America's military.

Doesn't work. John McCain is already too busy being a permanent news correspondent and occasional politician.

I came across this post on Fark and couldn't resist reposting it. The thread is about Sen. Lindsey Graham's response to the latest Benghazi investigation...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/23/politics/lindsey-graham-benghazi-report/index.html

(Protip for those not wanting to bother to read the link: Lindsey thinks the new report is BS)

So one poster posts this response: They should make it a permanent committee to investigate. Maybe make every future thing -ghazi instead of -gate.

/and let senators CCW in the Capitol

Which then leads to this post...

This is actually a fantastic idea. The Joint Committee on Executive Oversight, or something like that. All the idiotic "Gubmint is taking over" would get sent there. Some right wingers would take it seriously, but for people with brains, it would be the Congressional version of the kiddie table, where elected idiots are sent to make sure they can't interfere with actual important stuff.

Plus, 10 years from now, a shiatty suspense thriller novel will come out about one young but earnest Senator from, let's say North Carolina. He's too honest and uncorruptable, so the senior legislators try and get him out of the way by assigning him to the Joint Committee, where he is deluged with tin-foil bullshiat all day. Then, just as he's giving in to morose depression because he's being shut out for not playing along with corruption, he finds a REAL CONSPIRACY. Only now, no one will believe him, so he has to SAVE THE COUNTRY by himself, even as the dark forces of the hidden rulers try and stop him. There's pretty good shiatty-movie potential there too

I would watch the fuck out of that movie.

I came across this post on Fark and couldn't resist reposting it. The thread is about Sen. Lindsey Graham's response to the latest Benghazi investigation...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/23/politics/lindsey-graham-benghazi-report/index.html

(Protip for those not wanting to bother to read the link: Lindsey thinks the new report is BS)

So one poster posts this response: They should make it a permanent committee to investigate. Maybe make every future thing -ghazi instead of -gate.

/and let senators CCW in the Capitol

I think that poster just stole a line from Alpha House. (Great show, go watch etc.)

Seems odd to me given there are only 2 years left, wars are winding down, and Republicans have control of congress. Unless there is a senator/congressman that just lost, who can they pick without damaging their # seats?

Whatever happens next, I hope the Obama administration plays it smart and forces the Republicans to publicly vote on respective resolutions on what to do with syrIA and isis.

Whatever happens next, I hope the Obama administration plays it smart and forces the Republicans to publicly vote on respective resolutions on what to do with syrIA and isis.

Rand Paul is introducing a formal declaration of war - will be interesting to see the partisan reaction.

Whiny, entitled teen brats complain about their free lunches. Hilarious and newsworthy, by which I mean neither.

Do you even know why the school lunch program was started? It was found that boys who were drafted were to malnourished to actually serve in WW2. In some ways it's actually worse now, instead of being calorie deprived kids are nutrient deprived, they might be little butter balls but they are unhealthy as fuck.

This country needs free school lunches that are healthful, nutritious, and tasty. That lunch could be the only healthful meal kids get in a day.

Whiny, entitled teen brats complain about their free lunches. Hilarious and newsworthy, by which I mean neither.

I guess you just posted a whitty response instead of reading the article or doing research yourself. As expected.

One of the locations quoted in the article is Richland Center, Wisconsin and by doing a basic google search I discovered that the average income for that area per household is under $40,000.00 a year.

I wouldn't consider a teen whose family earns under $40,000.00 a year "entitled".

To help you in your next whitty response here is the link that I found for the average income.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Richland-Center-Wisconsin.html#b

Archived