Skipping Thanksgiving

Weeping Sore

I LOVE Thanksgiving (I am making an entire traditional meal, including a 6 lb turkey breast, for just myself). It's all about food, which is awesome, and reflection, which is always nice.

But if you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. I would not say any explanation is required. I rarely go home for holidays because it's annoying to travel there (my parents live 3 hrs from the nearest major airport), I'm not super close with my family, and it's usually the only time my boyfriend and I can both take time off at the same time. I just tell them, sorry, not gonna make it. Trying to explain things just usually makes it worse, IMO.

fuck thanksgiving.

mine will be the same as it has been for the last few years. me. 1,000 guests. so much food that i am sick just by looking at it and about 13 hours at work. have you ever gazed upon 30 gallons of gravy? 1,200 pounds of turkey is a lot. 50# of cranberries is good bit too. i love pie, but when you see 1,200 pieces of it you get ill.

i look more to the next day when a bunch of mates from work and i will get together, drink beer, gorge ourselves on tacos and play a pickup soccer game.

I guess if you're a vegan or alergic to poultry, traditional Thanksgiving isn't that great. Though there's nothing stopping one from having a vegan, or vegetarian group meal to count your blessings over.

For me, it's the best day of the year.

You wake up, maybe hung over, maybe not. Then you have options. Go watch a high school football game in the morning, or maybe go play some pick up ultimate. Or maybe just go back to sleep. Since it looks to be a snowy morning, probably head over the girlfriend's early because her dog goes nuts in the snow.

Then tuck in for dinner, watch some hapless teams play football (will be a bit odd this year since the Lions and Cowboys are both decent), and take a nap. Then dessert.

Things you're not expected to have to do on Thanksgiving: You're not obligated to buy presents, you don't have to get particularly dressed up, you don't have to make any decisions tougher than how many different pies you want to sample, you don't have to go to church. It's pretty much the perfect day, unless perhaps you can't get along with your family.

And then there's leftovers on Friday too. Yum.

Though as to the OP, if you are skipping Thanksgiving, heading to Canada for the day sounds like a good idea. You could even give thanks that the US is 0 for 3 or so as far as conquering Canada goes, so you have a place of refuge on Thursday!

This will be our second consecutive Thanksgiving with a restaurant reservation. It's usually just us (my wife, our son and I) and the big rigmarole isn't worth it. Just twice in 14 years have we spent Thanksgiving with family. And now that I do have a sister and her boyfriend in Chicagoland, I'm not at all feeling like spending the holiday with them.

We just enjoy the break from work and school.

If a family Thanksgiving isn't making you happy, just don't do it is the smart thing to do, er, um, in this case to do. Something like that. :)

I have always loved our holidays spent out of the country too.

This year's Thanksgiving is going to be spent in the Dominican Republic, though not really. No traveling! But with a group of Dominicans here. The music and dancing are just as important as the food, and the food is VERY IMPORTANT. And delicious. :)

Our closest family is 500 miles away. There's not enough time for us to pack up the kids, spend 12 hours in the car and come back 2 days later, so we are having a quiet Thanksgiving at home this year (which will likely become the tradition now that they are in school) with just the four of us. We will travel to see our family after Christmas- unfortunately for my 5 year old daughter, she will have to spend her birthday (Dec 27th) in the car all day. I'm usually more into Thanksgiving, but I'm looking forward to Christmas more this year because both of my children are at the perfect age to understand Christmas, and seeing them light up on Christmas morning is better than anything.

Our closest family is 500 miles away. There's not enough time for us to pack up the kids, spend 12 hours in the car and come back 2 days later, so we are having a quiet Thanksgiving at home this year (which will likely become the tradition now that they are in school) with just the four of us. We will travel to see our family after Christmas- unfortunately for my 5 year old daughter, she will have to spend her birthday (Dec 27th) in the car all day. I'm usually more into Thanksgiving, but I'm looking forward to Christmas more this year because both of my children are at the perfect age to understand Christmas, and seeing them light up on Christmas morning is better than anything.

That sounds just perfect. :)

If I just get drunk with friends like I do every Thursday and I don't eat any more than normal, do I get to say I celebrated thanksgiving?

You most certainly do! :cheers:

What's important is to do what you enjoy, what makes you and yours -- including the cat and dog, whomever -- happy.

Even if it turns out that is DOING NOTHING. Doing nothing is very important to a person's well being too.

I'm not looking forward to it this year. I work weekend nights, so playing Christmas elf for my mother after 9AM on Friday is out. But thanks to all the retailers that will be open Thanksgiving, my 4 hour shopping limit will be stretched out to all day Thursday, Thursday night and into Friday morning. I will stand in lines, make multiple phone calls for instructions and use my apartment as Santa's workshop for the next month.

Could I get out of it? Sure, especially since I have the Miata which can't handle more than 2 stores worth of merchandise. Unfortunately, the insurance gods are gifting my mother by giving me an SUV for the week while my bumper is repaired. :bang:

If you are cooking a turkey this year I suggest stuffing oranges inside of the turkey. They should make the bird really, really juicy.

We brine the bird overnight and then I stuff it with lemon, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, and brush the skin with melted butter and sprinkle salt and pepper on it. The brine keeps it super moist.

Archived