Why didn't Tywin just have Tyrion killed as a baby?

H.P.

I don't think tywin wants to murder tyrion. He hates him but it is also partly because tyrion is into whores which upsets the family name. Even during tyrion's trial, tywin tried to save his life by trying to send him to the wall. He could have had him killed, but he didn't. Also, kinslaying is a big offense in westeros.

1. Tyrion is a Lannister, and Joanna's son.
2. Tywin didn't want to be a kinslayer. Also most people thought Tyrion won't live that long. Why bother to kill him then?
3. Tywin Lannister hate losing, even to the gods. Everyone said the gods gave Tyrion as a punishment for Tywin's arrogance. If I was Tywin, I would want to prove them wrong more than I'd want to kill Tyrion.
It was not unknown for dwarves to become septons or masters. But Tyrion messed up everything by marrying Tysha and choosing not take a path of celibacy. But by that time, Jaime was in the KG and Cersei was the queen. Tywin needed a son to increase power, and Tyrion was useful, however repulsive he was to Tywin. I think Tywin may have let Tyrion inherit CR before Cersei dismissed Selmy from KG, setting up a precedent for KG not serving till death. He was the most powerful man in Westeros, he could make Jaime resign and become lord of CR.

Kinslaying is the gravest sin someone in Westrosi society could commit.

Roose Bolton was about to kill his bastard son, but reframed from doing so because Ramsey has his eyes.

Roose Bolton, a man who does a lot of evil things in the series, is not willing to kill kin. That should give you an idea of how entrenched this social ethic was.

It's very interesting that kinslaying is so bad in Westeros.

Did you burn a village to the ground, slaughtering every man, woman and child? Good going man, that will teach people to never mess with you!

Did you kill your brother who has been torturing you all your life? Sinner! You shall repent for eternity in the deepest of the seven Hells!

Plus I think people underestimate just how much of Tywin's feelings built up over the years. The things that Tywin seemed to hate the most about Tyrion were the things Tywin hated about his own father: whoring, being mocked, and being perceived as soft or foolish. Being a dwarf was just the insult on top.

But he would place him in the front lines at the battle of the Green Fork.

Jaime was in the front lines in battle. The Northern Lords were all fighting over the chance to lead the Vanguard(the front lines) for Robb.

If you want respect from subordinates a good way to do that is lead in battle. Tywin gives Tyrion the chance to do this, he succeeds and Tywin rewards him by making him his Stand in Hand at Kings Landing.

It's very interesting that kinslaying is so bad in Westeros.

Did you burn a village to the ground, slaughtering every man, woman and child? Good going man, that will teach people to never mess with you!

Did you kill your brother who has been torturing you all your life? Sinner! You shall repent for eternity in the deepest of the seven Hells!

It showcases different values placed on the acts. Tywin undertakes a campaign and practically carves right through the populace of the Riverlands in a "kings" name, which dooms many to famine in the next winter. How many? Half? More? The Lannisters justify as the belief they are rebels and that they earned their fate, and would even be accepted by a number of their peers/allies and justified in later history books if they don't fall. The kinslaying carries a tone of the supposed disaster of challenging authority, endangering the established order. A son killing his father is challenging a patriarchy, perhaps even endangering the bullshit power structure that many nobles and commoners buy into.

:lmao:

"What, Joanna? I didn't catch that? Huh? You gotta speak up. No, still can't understand...oh, she's dead."

Yup. I doubt it's because he was superstitious about kinslaying. After all, Guest Right didn't mean anything to him, so why would this ?

Do you really not see the difference? Robb was not Tywin's guest in any way. Tyrion was his kin, even if not his son.

Archived