3 heads

dRagonese

So somewhere I read how Danys vision in HotU of rhae rhae is actually his plan for the dragon to have three heads and not him reciting a prophecy. This made me wonder if he had the 3 eggs that eventually came to Dany. Is it just a coincidence that Illyrio had 3 eggs and it later comes to Danys attention that "the dragon has 3 heads"? I think not, I think Varys or Illy knew of Rhaegars plan and got his eggs and passed them to the family when the time was rite. Any ideas on the connection between Illy giving 3 eggs to Dany and Rhaes plan for his kids? Either way the idea of Rhaegar creating the idea of the dragon having 3 heads and it not being a prophecy is an intriguing notion.

I have thought of this possibility myself. Ever since the reveal at the end of ADWD, there has always been a debate about why I&V gave Dany the eggs. Why should he waste precious (called "priceless!") dragon eggs on Dany and Viserys if he is really Aegon's supporters (and probably Illyrio's even his dad!)?

Here are some possible reasons people give:

1.) "Illyrio is super rich and has TONS of dragon eggs - it was nothing more than a suitable present for Dany given she's a Targ. He probably even has some he's planning to give Aegon - maybe there is even one on Aegon's ship."

Personally I don't find this likely - it is emphasized repeatedly how rare the eggs are. I think if GRRM wanted us to think this, then it would be very easy for him to show it (by giving Aegon an egg).

2.) "Illyrio, Varys, and Mirri Maz Duur were conspiring together to hatch teh dragon eggs."

This one is a bit crackpot. I doubt that MMD would approve of a plan which involved her burning to death as a sacrifice. Also there's no connection whatsoever between V&I and MMD.

Personally, I think that Varys must have been aware of whatever prophecy Rhaegar read. I assume that is the one given by the woods which - the same one that led to Aerys and Rhaella's marriage and previously, the tragedy at Summerhall. By the time Illyrio is gifting the eggs, there are only 2 remaining survivors from Aerys and Rhaella's line (as far as they know) are Dany and Viserys. If anyone is going to be able to hatch the eggs, it's going to be them. Illyrio and Varys figure, why not see if they can hatch them? The eggs are priceless, but dragons are beyond priceless.

Edit: as for the three heads specifically, I don't think Rhaegar made it up but we really dont' know.

I have thought of this possibility myself. Ever since the reveal at the end of ADWD, there has always been a debate about why I&V gave Dany the eggs. Why should he waste precious (called "priceless!") dragon eggs on Dany and Viserys if he is really Aegon's supporters (and probably Illyrio's even his dad!)?

Here are some possible reasons people give:

1.) "Illyrio is super rich and has TONS of dragon eggs - it was nothing more than a suitable present for Dany given she's a Targ. He probably even has some he's planning to give Aegon - maybe there is even one on Aegon's ship."

Personally I don't find this likely - it is emphasized repeatedly how rare the eggs are. I think if GRRM wanted us to think this, then it would be very easy for him to show it (by giving Aegon an egg).

2.) "Illyrio, Varys, and Mirri Maz Duur were conspiring together to hatch teh dragon eggs."

This one is a bit crackpot. I doubt that MMD would approve of a plan which involved her burning to death as a sacrifice. Also there's no connection whatsoever between V&I and MMD.

Personally, I think that Varys must have been aware of whatever prophecy Rhaegar read. I assume that is the one given by the woods which - the same one that led to Aerys and Rhaella's marriage and previously, the tragedy at Summerhall. By the time Illyrio is gifting the eggs, there are only 2 remaining survivors from Aerys and Rhaella's line (as far as they know) are Dany and Viserys. If anyone is going to be able to hatch the eggs, it's going to be them. Illyrio and Varys figure, why not see if they can hatch them? The eggs are priceless, but dragons are beyond priceless.

Edit: as for the three heads specifically, I don't think Rhaegar made it up but we really dont' know.

Let us also assume that V&I have already had (F)Aegon attempt to hatch them. He would have had all the time before Daenerys' wedding to have tried (and to have been unsuccessful, obviously).

I do like the theory that these eggs were originally Raegars. Very intriguing.

Archived