Exercise and Fitness: Keep the Car Running

OnionAhaiReborn

Finally managed to get a gym membership sorted, and went back to 5*5 after more than half a year off. Sooooo sore, soooooo happy! Now only to manage to get into a good groove nutritionally again...

Just got back from vacation. Tried to stay active, did a little yoga and lots of walking, but well, it's vacation. :) Oh well, plenty of time for healthy food and regular workouts. Went for a run today and it felt really great just to get out there and work a bit. Start my official training plan in about a week and a half for my next race (half marathon), in the meantime will probably just be doing a couple random workouts so I stay on top of things.

Just got back from vacation. Tried to stay active, did a little yoga and lots of walking, but well, it's vacation. :) Oh well, plenty of time for healthy food and regular workouts. Went for a run today and it felt really great just to get out there and work a bit. Start my official training plan in about a week and a half for my next race (half marathon), in the meantime will probably just be doing a couple random workouts so I stay on top of things.

I'm training for the Denver rock and roll.

My training plan looks like this:

http://www.halfmarathons.net/half-marathon-training-schedule-for-beginning-runners/

Is yours similar?

Still hacking up a lung and snotting all over the place, but tonight is my brown belt test. (My cold is mostly better, but it is breaking up and sounds worse than it feels) Time waits for no woman.

I'll take some decongestants tonight and hope they don't do anything but stop the nose from dripping.

I'm training for the Denver rock and roll.

My training plan looks like this:

http://www.halfmarathons.net/half-marathon-training-schedule-for-beginning-runners/

Is yours similar?

Nice! Your plan looks a lot like what I did for my first half-marathon, which worked really well (beat my goal by 12 minutes). My plan this time is http://www.shape.com/fitness/training-plans/10-week-training-plan-your-first-half-marathon, which I like because it includes strength training, speedwork, and yoga (my cross training choice). I have adapted other running plans in the past to include those elements, so it was nice to find one that already had it built in.

My terrible soccer team came back from 6-1 to tie! This was a big accomplishment for us because it's the first game we didn't lose. The pregame drinking seems to help us.

Lol, not if you're going down 5 right away! ;)

Have kept to my exercise schedule every day for the last two weeks, but I think I've cheated a few times too many on my diet over the last few weeks which has hampered my weight loss. I had a similar plateau when I lost weight last time at just over 210. One thing I'm noticing though is I'm improving A LOT on my strength and endurance. Need to stick to my diet a bit better and I think my new muscle mass will start chewing through that extra flab.

^ Normally without the drinking we would go on to lose 10-2.

That brings back memories of playing for a work-based coed indoor soccer team. The skill level was variable to say the least and game results could go any which way depending on who actually turned up and the eternal wildcard of ringers. The worst losses were when dilettantes turned up for their once-a-season appearance just when a regular was unavailable. But we had a lot fun and no small amount of flirting. We did at least wait until after the games to drink, so I guess we were models of professionalism compared to you hacks.

I can remember one season when we had an influx of new players who had hardly ever played before in their lives. One guy ran into the end wall as he dribbled and delayed his shot, one woman stumbled on the ball and fell on her ass on the ball (rebounding off it too), another guy air-kicked several times in a row until he stubbed his toe badly.....all in the same game. It was comedy gold except I have a very competitive streak. Myself and the other regulars had to manage the subs to keep 4/6 competent players on the field at all times. One time that ratio inverted and they conceded 3 goals in a minute.

A couple of the guys kept inviting their hottest female colleagues to play. I think they thought it was a non-creepy way to ask them out (perhaps it was). But it definitely left us in a situation where half our women players were really hot *princesses who couldn't kick a ball but looked great in short shorts and a tank top, while the other half were tough-as-nails and played on competitive teams several nights a week.

*princesses was the official moniker levied by the tough-as-nails crew

We have a problem with people not showing up. To be fair, we didn't take into account well enough the amount that people travel for work, but a few are just flaky. As a result, we have to double up for our other team who never has enough players show up and I play A LOT. The game we tied had no female subs. The woman I was playing with was legitimately good and I at least have the fitness and endurance to hustle for two games. But what are we going to do between games besides drink?

I passed my brown belt test!

But truthfully, I sucked! I was so sick and I knew I was messing things up. I am sure my instructor advocated for passing me (she is so awesome!)

It takes at least 3 2nd degree or higher black belts to agree to pass someone to brown belt (2nd grade). (before this stage, the instructor can pass anyone themselves, even if they don't do well on the test, if they have seen them doing well in class)

Even though I have been through the rainbow of colors, and only have the brown w/black stripe left, I am actually only about half way to black. It will be a minimum of 3 more years before I could possibly be ready for the test. (the belts are very front loaded, mostly, I think to keep kids encouraged in the beginning)

I did "ok" on my one-steps; did so-so on my jujitsu; and I really suck at sparring :P (I know I am being pretty critical of myself, but I have done better at all these before) About the sparring, the guy I am going against is a classmate/friend and we knew we would have to do 2 matches, but didn't know if they would both be against black belts or if we would would spar each other first. We agreed that if we sparred each other first, we would save our energy for the black belt match. So we are probably only giving about 75%...until the "10 seconds" warning is given. Then the dude just totally pummelled me :lol:

Congrats Lany on passing your test and sorry to hear about asthma Arch-MaesterPhillip.

I just got back from Les Deux Alpes, France where I had quite an enjoyable week of snowboarding.

Great slopes, great weather (though a bit warm for my liking) and fun crowd... Couldn't recommend it more.

As a bonus, I dropped 2kgs over the 9 days the trip took.

Does anyone here have any long term experience of Bikram yoga?

I've just finished a 21 day trial and have now signed up for a monthly membership. I like the meditative aspect, the calm peacefulness, the focus as well as the hard work and the challenge of it.

It's doing great stuff for my chronic lower back and hip issues so I'd keep it up for that alone but I just wondered if anyone has done it long term because I'm curious: is it possible for everyone to complete the full expression of the postures eventually? I'm definitely going to work at my own pace and not be pushed too fast but I just wanted to know if it's possible for everyone to get there in the end (barring any specific physical limitations)?

Archived