Exercise and Fitness: Keep the Car Running

OnionAhaiReborn

I had Shaun T's Insanity program workout recommended to me and I'd like to ask you guys what do you think of it? Has anyone here been through it?

I did the entire Insanity program and was not satisfied with the results. I did not lose any weight, despite following the diet plan and doing all of the workouts. I also had problems with ankle pain and a lot of stress on my body, and that from someone who was already pretty fit. However, I do like Shaun T as a trainer and a lot of the workouts themselves are great--I use them individually now from time to time. I just didn't think the overall 60 day program really worked. I had better results from the P90X program.

Of course, everyone is different, and I know there are plenty of people out there who got good results from Insanity.

I did the entire Insanity program and was not satisfied with the results. I did not lose any weight, despite following the diet plan and doing all of the workouts. I also had problems with ankle pain and a lot of stress on my body, and that from someone who was already pretty fit. However, I do like Shaun T as a trainer and a lot of the workouts themselves are great--I use them individually now from time to time. I just didn't think the overall 60 day program really worked. I had better results from the P90X program.

Of course, everyone is different, and I know there are plenty of people out there who got good results from Insanity.

Yeah, I don't really need to lose weight - I just need to keep it where it is now. My goal is to increase my strength.

Anyone else here do combat sports? I've been kickboxing and boxing for about three years now, though somewhat inconsistently due to college ad graduate school. Won my first kickboxing fight in April though, which was cool. Recently found out I need hernia surgery though, which is a bummer. I was about 217 lbs. before I started training, I got down to 165 lbs. after about six months, and have stayed around there since. I'm 6"1', so I'm quite a bit healthier now obviously :D Haven't been able to train nearly as much as I'd like due to graduate school and hernia bullshit, but getting back into now that the semester's wound down.

Anyone else train or compete?

Hot Shit Soup! That's a lot of weight. I can't imagine your power output was the same. 165 at 73 inches is skinny.

I had Shaun T's Insanity program workout recommended to me and I'd like to ask you guys what do you think of it? Has anyone here been through it?

I have to agree with Starkess in regards to Insanity. I tried it because I was looking for something a bit different, but I didn't get the results I was looking for. There's a shit ton of Plyo, and it was not good on my knee. Shaun T will absolutely keep you motivated when you're ready to call it quits. The music also pumps you up! It's also the only home video where the extras completely crap out during the workouts lol.

I had better results with P90x as well. That is one program I will recommend until the day I die. There's strength training and cardio, so I liked it. Tony Horton is hilarious. I picked up P90x2 after it, but didn't find it was as effective, on the whole, as X1. Now, I just stick with P90x, but I'll switch it up once or twice a week and pop in a DVD from a different program.

Yeah, I don't really need to lose weight - I just need to keep it where it is now. My goal is to increase my strength.

Insanity is not something I would recommend to increase strength. It is primarily geared towards cardio/interval training and weight loss. It's all body weight exercises, which can definitely increase strength, but wouldn't be my go-to. P90X has more strength workouts, including weights (or resistance bands).

I have to agree with Starkess in regards to Insanity. I tried it because I was looking for something a bit different, but I didn't get the results I was looking for. There's a shit ton of Plyo, and it was not good on my knee. Shaun T will absolutely keep you motivated when you're ready to call it quits. The music also pumps you up! It's also the only home video where the extras completely crap out during the workouts lol.

Except Tanya!! Damn her! :tantrum: I am not proud of it, but when I saw her in the ad for the new T-25, where she got a little out of shape after having a baby, I was a little glad, because I am a terrible person...

Wow, now if THAT description doesn't make people love rugby nothing will. :lol:

The immense feeling of satisfaction after beating some proper 'orrible bastards by a couple of points is one of the best feelings in sport.

@Ithanos

Gloves can protect your skin, but at the expense of grip. Wouldn't recommend them personally.

Bah! I hate calluses. Actually I don't mind having some calluses on the hands, kind of a badge of honour - though I do think they look rude. Its developing the calluses in the first place that I hate. I talked to my old workmate who runs our gym and he showed me the seasoned calluses on his hands and joked about having to clip them every now & then. Shit I hope he was joking - eww!

Oly lifting club is going well and I'm starting to get comfortable with my bar work and the grips involved. But because I have a layer of fat still in my palms there's some pain to endure while I develop a thick skin :) Do gloves protect the palm & fingers as well as provide decent grip? I'm guessing they would since I found gloves quite useful when I was doing a bit of cycling. May have to invest in a pair - or just bring out my cycling gloves a try them.

Real lifters, let alone men, have calluses. They are glorious. :D

But really, give the cycling mitts a try. Like HairBearHero, I have trouble with my grip when I wear them, so I prefer going barehanded. But to each their own, and maybe really tight gloves can help.

On occasion though, what I do is take a couple of those paper towels, spray them with cleaner, and grip the weights using them as a bit of a cushion. I only do it once in a while, since it isn't exactly environmentally friendly. But I find it to be a nice middle ground where my hands aren't being shredded and I'm not sacrificing too much grip.

--

I'm halfway through a 5/3/1 with Dave Tate's periodization bible. It essentially has 2 leg days a week (1 deadlift day and 1 squat day), which has me waddling around like an old man for 2-3 days a week. Any way to reduce soreness, or will it just subside as I go further with this routine? I've got 3 weeks left. Overall it's 4 workout days per week, and I've been seeing some really nice strength gains.

This morning I got a message from my rowing buddies that we've been invited by Zagreb University rowing club to their Christmas tournament.

Here's the catch - tournament has nothing to do with rowing, it's FOOTBALL!!!

If you've never seen rowers play football you have no idea what you're missing.

As Sir Steve Redgrave once said: "Rowers row because they can't kick, catch or throw a ball." :D

Now, we're recreational rowers and have been playing football, basketball and stuff like that semi-regularly throughout our lives so we're not THAT disabled but some of our group are even worse.

There have been occasions of people literally tripping over the ball and/or faceplanting when we played rowers' football. :D

I'm rather looking forward to participating in that tournament.

Today is day 1 for me at the local Crossfit box. Got a - comparatively - great deal but still over $100 a month.

And the first workout is squats, pushups and pullups. Things I do at home. Irony.

• 2 weeks later...

Between ripping my toe nail off, starting a job that completely exhausted me, getting a nasty cold and the holidays, I have been a bum with regards to exercising and have slipped back to my old eating habits (drinking habits really---Coke!) the past two months

But the cold, the holidays and my birthday have all passed, so today I have returned to exercising and no SAGs. Starting off easy with the kettlebell dvd...tomorrow kickboxing and weights

My wife did both P90X and Insanity. She enjoyed both for a good home cardio with lots of motivation. Now she goes to Shred 415 classes here in Chicago.

I pulled a muscle in my back, just below my right shoulder blade, in the gym on Saturday evening. Luckily I was able to get a massage immediately afterward and again on Sunday. With ice, ibuprofen, bio freeze and a compression bandage too it has responded really quickly. It has gone from locked up and spasms at any movement on Saturday to now nothing more than a twinge provided I move slowly and gently. Hopefully I'll be back running by end of week and back to weights and swimming in 2-3 weeks. It could have been worse.

I was on my last rep of my last set of a long workout. After bench pressing and rowing pretty heavy weights, a moment of poor form on a scabby arm curl did the damage. That's my first gym injury in 15 years.

At least I'll miss the short-lived over-crowding in the gym in early January.

I worked out yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks, and today I planned a run--but of course I'm getting sick. So bundled up on the couch instead and probably will be a week until I'm well enough to hit it again. Frustrating.

I can't wait until Thursday. It will be the start of several NY Resolutions I have promised myself I will achieve. I'll start easy by doing Yoga after a night of eating and drinking. I have a Half-Marathon on April 12th, so I'll begin to train for that as well. I'm going to start off with a routine of 3, 3-mile runs per week, and will gradually raise the mileage as the race approaches.

My ultimate goal is to have a six-pack (shit, I'll be happy with a four-pack) so that's in the works as well. I haven't decided yet as to what my routine will be, but I think I'll be doing a P90x/Insanity hybrid during the week. All snacks, fried foods, and junk food will be eliminated. I will also try desperately to limit my alcohol intake. That's going to be a killer.

I was really doing great this year, and I peaked with my half-marathon in October. Unfortunately, after I finished it, I was all like "FTW! YOLO!" and I have been pigging out since. It's been fun, but my body is pathetic (for me) and I know I can do better.

I also will begin to work out in the morning. I have always been an after-work late-night workout person, and I need to start my day off the right way.

I can't wait until Thursday. It will be the start of several NY Resolutions I have promised myself I will achieve. I'll start easy by doing Yoga after a night of eating and drinking. I have a Half-Marathon on April 12th, so I'll begin to train for that as well. I'm going to start off with a routine of 3, 3-mile runs per week, and will gradually raise the mileage as the race approaches.

My ultimate goal is to have a six-pack (shit, I'll be happy with a four-pack) so that's in the works as well. I haven't decided yet as to what my routine will be, but I think I'll be doing a P90x/Insanity hybrid during the week. All snacks, fried foods, and junk food will be eliminated. I will also try desperately to limit my alcohol intake. That's going to be a killer.

I was really doing great this year, and I peaked with my half-marathon in October. Unfortunately, after I finished it, I was all like "FTW! YOLO!" and I have been pigging out since. It's been fun, but my body is pathetic (for me) and I know I can do better.

I also will begin to work out in the morning. I have always been an after-work late-night workout person, and I need to start my day off the right way.

Why the obsession with the 6pack? Why not just be strong and healthy?

Archived