Things I never realised about a book until...

SpaceChampion

"If it's true"? Come on, it's been a long time since I read the stuff, but it's spelled out right in the introduction of the first book, Dragonflight: that is how she could ruin Ruatha Hold, stay undetected and how she was caught when she tried to influence F'lar. I mean, it's not like there is a dragon around when she thinks about the "pushing" she does.

Now that you mention it that does sound vaguely familiar. Maybe I did realise that at the time, but have forgotten in the 20-odd years since I read it.

In AcOK, I didn't realize that... well, just what the hell was happening at Harrenhal.

I usually read it late night when I was dead tired, so I completely missed all the details. I I didn't know who is who and who is on whose side. Didn't know who Roose Bolton is. Or the Bloody Mummers. Completely missed Qyburn being there. I got even more confused during Arya's escape, when she helped some people break into somewhere and kill some other people. Actually, I still don't know what the hell happened there, I really should do a re-read.

In the Pern novels, I of course knew Lessa of Pern could communicate with all dragons; it was only yesterday I read a comment on io9 about how she could also push / lean of people telepathically to influence them. Is this true?? Never occurred to me.

I'm very surprised that Lessa's telepathy could be missed.

"If it's true"? Come on, it's been a long time since I read the stuff, but it's spelled out right in the introduction of the first book, Dragonflight: that is how she could ruin Ruatha Hold, stay undetected and how she was caught when she tried to influence F'lar. I mean, it's not like there is a dragon around when she thinks about the "pushing" she does.

Exactly this.

It's right there in first 50 pages of the first book of the series, and it's not as if Anne McCaffrey was aiming for subtlety in that case.

That Narnia was a huge Christian allegory. In retrospect, the last book does make more sense now, I think I was confused by the ending at the time.

I read the first one again when I was about 20 or so and thought I was pretty smart as soon as I realized it. I also kind of wondered if it was meant to help brainwash kids by design.

I could probably write a million things about The Second Apocalypse that I didn't realize until much later on, but the biggest one is (kinda spoilers?):

Same. When I go into those threads it really exposes how little I know what is going on there. Philosophy seems like my weakest field academically for some strange reason.

A recent one for me would be that a certain Hemingway character is impotent (due to injury I believe). Once I found out, it totally made sense with the book and made me feel like an idiot.

Oh, I just remembered the most stupid thing ever. The first time I watched the first Harry Potter movie, I was really confused. This needs a little explanation.

When the first book came out, my father read it to me and my brother. And I was always wondering why "Herr Mine" hangs out with children like Harry and Ron. So, I am German. The German name of Hermione is Hermine. "Herr" means "Mister" in german. And I always thought that this omnious Mister Mine was a professor (in Germany we adress our teachers with "Herr") who hangs out with Harry and Ron.

Imagine my confusion when I watched the movie and found out that Herr Mine was actually Hermine. A girl of the same age as Ron and Harry...

In the Pern novels, I of course knew Lessa of Pern could communicate with all dragons; it was only yesterday I read a comment on io9 about how she could also push / lean of people telepathically to influence them. Is this true?? Never occurred to me.

Having just reread Dragonquest for at least the fiftieth time, I feel like I realize something new each time. For instance, I knew Lessa could influence people, but I either didn't realize, or forgot, that she not only put the suggestion of going to the Red Star into F'Nor's head, but Brekke knew she was doing it...

If it's true then I didn't realise it either.

That Narnia was a huge Christian allegory. In retrospect, the last book does make more sense now, I think I was confused by the ending at the time.

I missed this, too. (or I deliberately ignored it, I can be stubborn sometimes!)

I had no clue about the L+R=J theory until I first started following this forum.

I found this forum when I did a re-read and started to wonder if anyone else had noticed...

Having just reread Dragonquest for at least the fiftieth time, I feel like I realize something new each time. For instance, I knew Lessa could influence people, but I either didn't realize, or forgot, that she not only put the suggestion of going to the Red Star into F'Nor's head, but Brekke knew she was doing it...

Oh, yes I'd forgotten about that!

Archived