How Many Pov's in WOW?

The Bastard of Walton

So not counting prologue & epilogue Chapters

GOT-8 Pov's

ACOK-9 Pov's

ASOS-10 Pov's

AFFC-12 Pov's

ADWD-16 Pov's

So far WOW has 8 confirmed Pov's, that we know about out of 20 possible. Do you believe we will see a Pov from all the rest & if not, who do you think might be missing until ADOS?

Jon Snow for me will be the only one missing. Think we'll get at least one chapter from the rest of the remaining Pov characters.

Think they're all the right numbers apologies if I've missed anyone.

I think Mel will probably be missing from TWOW. I think she might have been a one off POV that GRRM wrote to give us an insight into her thinking, so she didn't just come across as an evil people-burner. She's too mysterious to have as a regular POV.

Jon could be missing for all or most of it.

Everyone else should get at least one.

I dunno but I'm really curious about the next book, coz Martin wrote about nearly everything slowly with details, there are a lot of POV characters in 4th and 5th books, and I doubt that the 6th and 7th will look like the previous 2 which happened nearly at the same time divided into 2 books, so we need POV characters in nearly every place of Westeros and the necessary in Essos, so in my opinion book 6 has to be very long.

The confirmed POVs are:

Aeron Greyjoy (Iron Islands)

Sansa Stark (Vale)

Arya Stark (Braavos-Faceless Men)

Arianne Martell (Dorne-Stormlands-Jon Connington)

Theon Greyjoy (North)

Victarion Greyjoy (dragonhorn-Meereen)

Barristan Selmy (Meereen)

Tyrion Lannister (sellswords-Meereen)

So I think we still need someone for:

Wall: I vote for Melisandre and/or Jon through Ghost

Kings Landing: prolly Cersei

Rickon's case: Davos, but maybe they will just appear suddenly and we will get explanation later

Jaime+Brienne+Cat's case: one of them at least, which is not Cat

Oldtown: Sam has to show himself, he went to Oldtown to be a maester, plus maybe the Ironborn will attack Oldtown, plus I think the alchemist-guy is the Faceless Man known as Jaqen, so imo Sam has to be POV in next book

Also Dany is a really main character so she should be POV for a few chapters to burn the Dothraki Sea ("when the seas go dry") and they should go away from Slavers-bay. Jon Connington should get some chapters too about the Golden Company, "Aegon", Arianne who's going to meet them, and the greyscale. And finally Areo Hotah to show what happens in Dorne, for example the Gerold Dayne case.

So I think there should be at least 16 POVs and a very long book.

Well, some of the POVs might not have many chapters. GRRM has said he means to reduce the number of POVs, which means some of them will die.

JonCon's greyscale will surely do for him sooner or later, and Theon seems a likely candidate to die of starvation even if no one lops his head off. Either Victarion or Barristan will probably die as well in the upcoming battle. And of course, GRRM will send our jaws to the floor by suddenly and unexpectedly killing at least one POV whom we really liked in a way we will never see coming and yet will make perfect sense.

Well, some of the POVs might not have many chapters. GRRM has said he means to reduce the number of POVs, which means some of them will die.

What? No. One is independent from another. Here's all what you need to do to get rid of one point of view: don't write more chapters from that particular point of view. That's it. You can keep that character alive, even active, just don't write his story through his eyes anymore.

What? No. One is independent from another. Here's all what you need to do to get rid of one point of view: don't write more chapters from that particular point of view. That's it. You can keep that character alive, even active, just don't write his story through his eyes anymore.

That possibility was mentioned to GRRM in an interview, and the way he answered suggested that this was not his plan.

So far WOW has 8 confirmed Pov's, that we know about out of 20 possible. Do you believe we will see a Pov from all the rest & if not, who do you think might be missing until ADOS?

With the possible exception of Jon Snow, I do not see why Martin will not simply retain all of the point-of-view characters.

That said, I imagine a great many will die during the book and where there are multiple point-of-view characters in the same location, we will be getting a lot less of each (i.e., Theon/Asha, etc.).

How many POV's in TWOW? I did read that one poster thought that since the pov's bloomed from 8 to 16 the author would now be able to bring the number of Pov's back down. My opinion, I expect all characters will meet in one place sooner or later unless they die. I did get the numbers of Pov's and the chapters that each POV had mixed up. Besides we might get the thrill of hearing Puh-puh-Podirck, Puh-Payne's POV for following Brienne around. Reference is AFFC p204pb

I think Mel will probably be missing from TWOW. I think she might have been a one off POV that GRRM wrote to give us an insight into her thinking, so she didn't just come across as an evil people-burner. She's too mysterious to have as a regular POV.

Jon could be missing for all or most of it.

Everyone else should get at least one.

But we need a POV at the Wall. And since Jon is unlikely to have a POV for a while, Melisandre as the Wall POV makes most sense, if GRRM really means to stick to what he said before, that they would be no new POVs. (Which is too bad, I'd love a POV from a wildling who's now a part of the Watch or at the Wall.)

But we need a POV at the Wall. And since Jon is unlikely to have a POV for a while, Melisandre as the Wall POV makes most sense, if GRRM really means to stick to what he said before, that they would be no new POVs. (Which is too bad, I'd love a POV from a wildling who's now a part of the Watch or at the Wall.)

We don't necessarily need a POV at the wall, GRRM could have the action take place off screen. Look at the people at the wall right now - Mel, Selyse, Shireen, Patchface, Tormund, Val, Bowen Marsh and a few others. These are hardly main characters, and we don't necessarily need to see what happens to them first hand. Maybe Jon could wake up a few weeks later with everything in absolute chaos. Maybe we'll just hear rumours of the others attacking from a character elsewhere in Westeros.

Personally I think Mel will have one or two chapters max in TWOW.

Archived