Can anyone verify this statement on the Three-Eyed Crow?

Vaxis

I remember it being said before that "the Three-Eyed Crow always had to be a Targaryen". Even before his backstory was developed, George had decided on his bloodline.

Is this correct? Does anyone know if this came from an interview with George? Did I hear it in one of Elio's videos? Am I making this up?

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I've read the ASOIAF books and considered myself (possibly incorrectly) to have not missed any major plot lines etc

So can somebody please briefly explain to me what all the talk of The BloodRaven is?! From what I gather he's the three eyed raven, but everyone on here seems to know or theorize at least so much about this guy. Where did all this information or ideas come from?

Maybe I missed some important stuff as I read the whole series in a short space of time.

Thank you in advance and please don't be horrible to me if I've made a huge boob.

I've read the ASOIAF books and considered myself (possibly incorrectly) to have not missed any major plot lines etc

So can somebody please briefly explain to me what all the talk of The BloodRaven is?! From what I gather he's the three eyed raven, but everyone on here seems to know or theorize at least so much about this guy. Where did all this information or ideas come from?

Maybe I missed some important stuff as I read the whole series in a short space of time.

Thank you in advance and please don't be horrible to me if I've made a huge boob.

Welcome to the forums, It Rhymes With Sneak! I hope you have a good time here!

It's true, most of the information that people bring into their conversations about Bloodraven, aka Brynden Rivers, doesn't come from the ASoIaF novels proper. Instead, they come from the Dunk and Egg books The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight, and from TWoIaF. You can get a summary of some of his history from his wiki entry, though it hasn't yet been updated with the info from TWoIaF on account of the spoiler period.

He's an interesting and mysterious guy!

ETA: And I definitely recommend the Dunk and Egg novellas, they're quite good, and add more depth to the "world" of the novels.

Bloodraven

His story is not covered in the ASOIAF novels, but he's one of the historical Targaryens that ended up on The Wall, sent there by his brother Aegon V (the Egg from the "Dunk and Egg" short stories).

Welcome to the Forums!

Bloodraven is mentioned in the main series, though briefly. With all the other names mentioned, it is easy to miss.

Mention #1

AFfC - Chapter 15 - Samwell II

"Bloodraven?” said Dareon. “I know a song about him. ‘A Thousand Eyes, and One,’ it’s called. But I thought he lived a hundred years ago.”

Mention #2

ADwD - Chapter 41 - The Turncloak

Their footsteps echoed through the vault as they made their way between the rows of pillars. The stone eyes of the dead men seemed to follow them, and the eyes of their stone direwolves as well. The faces stirred faint memories. A few names came back to him, unbidden, whispered in the ghostly voice of Maester Luwin. King Edrick Snowbeard, who had ruled the north for a hundred years. Brandon the Shipwright, who had sailed beyond the sunset. Theon Stark, the Hungry Wolf. My namesake. Lord Beron Stark, who made common cause with Casterly Rock to war against Dagon Greyjoy, Lord of Pyke, in the days when the Seven Kingdoms were ruled in all but name by the bastard sorcerer men called Bloodraven.

Mention #3

ADwD - Chapter 67 - The Kingbreaker

Daenerys, and rose in rebellion when denied her. Bittersteel and Bloodraven both loved Shiera Seastar, and the Seven Kingdoms bled. The Prince of Dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crown, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses. All three of the sons of the fifth Aegon had wed for love, in defiance of their father’s wishes. And because that unlikely monarch had himself followed his heart when he chose his queen, he allowed his sons to have their way, making bitter enemies where he might have had fast friends. Treason and turmoil followed, as night follows day, ending at Summerhall in sorcery, fire, and grief.

He actually appears in the Dunk & Egg novella The Mystery Knight and is mentioned in The Sworn Sword.

i wouldnt worry too much about him. He's not a major part of the story. Kind of like All-For-Joffrey.

Archived