The End Fight - Good versus Bad?

Ello Stark

Hey everybody,

as I have often read here, GRRM said in an interview that he won’t write a Good versus Evil story. He is said to have stated that there will be just two groups fighting each other. Additionally, I have often read that he said he won’t add a new POV Character in TWoW and DoS.

I guess we can all assume that – with the exception of the many other “villains” from Westeros - the WW are the most dangerous threat for mankind in the upcoming future.

However, having a closer look on the hitherto depiction of the White Walker, we as readers and also the protagonists from the novels see them as the ultimate threat for humanity, because they were just displayed or shown while killing actions.

Consequently: let us take GRRM’s statements as premise.

So in order to present the WW as “species” (missing a better word) with intentions and reason for their behavior, we need a POV character who is able to show us (moreover make us understand) their motivation behind all of their actions.

Ø Because there won’t be a WW POV and the there will be no fight Good versus Evil (see above).

Hopefully, you agree to this point.

Well, the question I asked myself now: How could GRRM solve this issue?

As a consequence, I think we could assume that we will get a PoV or more PoV characters who will fight side to side with the White Walkers, couldn’t we? Because I think otherwise, it would not work to persuade the reader to sympathize or just to understand the intentions of the WW. For the reader, they would nearly stay as evil as they were perceived beforehand.

P.S.: Hopefully, I put this in the right section and this hasn’t been asked a hundred times before.

Moreover, I am a non-native, so pardon me for errors I may have made :rolleyes:

I believe that Benjin Stark will be hanging out with the WW. At the end of the next book he'll come strolling back to the wall with bright blue eyes and tell the resurrected Jon Snow that he's on the wrong side.

But Benjen wouldn't be a PoV character, so I don't know. I actually thought it could be Jon Snow himself or Bran, because those are two who are located in the right area.

Moreover, I think Benjen already died, sadly :crying:

So in order to present the WW as “species” (missing a better word) with intentions and reason for their behavior, we need a POV character who is able to show us (moreover make us understand) their motivation behind all of their actions.

Ø Because there won’t be a WW POV and the there will be no fight Good versus Evil (see above).

I believe Bran will be our POV for the Others, spying on them through his tree- and animal-warging abilities.

I believe Bran will be our POV for the Others, spying on them through his tree- and animal-warging abilities.

But then he would just spy and not fight with them in the sense of having a sword in hand. He will just sit in his cave.

They hunt us down like we hunt down animals. Yet we don't think we are bad, why should they?

As soon as Jon Snow is the Night's king we will ave some insight in the society of the Others.

I agree. They appear to be spoky, because they seem to have some extraordinary power and therefore, humans can be seen as their "yammi yammi"

But I also guess they have some kind of strategy, I am also wondering what Jon will be up to.

But then he would just spy and not fight with them in the sense of having a sword in hand. He will just sit in his cave.

Why is it important that there must be POV who fights alongside Others? The important part is understanding Others' culture, motivations and society - and I think that Bran's POV will do just fine for that.

Why is it important that there must be POV who fights alongside Others? The important part is understanding Others' culture, motivations and society - and I think that Bran's POV will do just fine for that.

I agree, but nevertheless, this would just satisfy the reader and not the protagonists in the novel.

We would know their reason. Except Bran spreads the news in some way. If he does something like this, I would then go further and say, he can win over/convince more people to follow the WW

But Benjen wouldn't be a PoV character, so I don't know. I actually thought it could be Jon Snow himself or Bran, because those are two who are located in the right area.

Moreover, I think Benjen already died, sadly :crying:

He dosn't need to be a POV. All he needs to do is to show up in some POV charakters chapter and start converting them to the WW way. I doubt that Benjen is dead since it would be kind of a let down for him just to be a goner... at least let him go out in the true Stark-fashion: Death by stupid decision.

Archived