House of Lannister inspired by House of Nassau?

Ulthosian Stark

Well, I like to look up people in history with my first name, so I came upon William the Silent, Prince of Orange, of House Nassau (they held areas of modern day Netherlands and Germany)

First thing I noticed about this house is its coat of arms, a golden lion being the main focus, and on many later and earlier arms red lions.

Second, was its wealth, as several of this houses males had the epithet the Rich, and Nassau castle reminds me of a "lesser" version of Casterly Rock. Its built upon a high hill instead mountain, and has a very "vertical" feel to it.

They come from a land known for blonde hair as well

They revolted against the Spanish king (like the Lanns did to the Targs), they have female members marry royalty (like the Lanns), they themselves at one point were royalty.

So many parallels my brain hurts. I know nothing is strictly based off of anything (I personally HATE people trying to graft Ragnarok onto the Song) but it seems this house could have been an inspiration for them.

Thoughts?

The Lannisters are on the west coast of Westeros, their colors are red and gold, and Jaime was known for his immense talent with his (sword) arm.

The Lannisters are an obvious reference to the San Francisco 49ers. Jaime is a Joe Montana shout-out. (Remember that GRRM is a football fan, and started the series in the early nineties.)

Lannisters were inspired by House of Lancaster in the War of the Roses.

I have to explore more about Nassau, sounds interesting and they share similarities with the Lannisters.

Yeah the Lancasters are the first one people think of, but as ASOIAF was inspired by the War of the Roses and not *based* on it, I think more then one famous House can inspire single in-story houses

Archived