Does Jaime really believe Tyrion killed Joffrey?

Witch

I don't think he believed it until Tyrion admitted it. But I think he's willing to believe anything of Tyrion now - their relationship has completely broken down. After all, Tyrion killed Tywin, why wouldn't he kill Joffrey? He had plenty of motive to kill Joff but there's probably still a lingering doubt in Jaime's mind because he knows Tyrion is too smart to have gotten caught.

At first, he didn't believe it, that's why he helped him. Until Tyrion simply told him to his face he did. By the time Jaime realised Cersei had been indeed fucking Lancel, Osmund and Moonboy for all he knew, he also believed what Tyrion apparently also did.

:agree:

You believe his innocence or guilt has some bearing on Jaimes choice.

It seems like jaime killed aerys based on the fact that the Starks that aerys was roasting didn't do anything bad, so I'd say it's possible that his emotions played a part in his choice to help tyrion

I say it's mostly in favour of "did not", but with some doubts.

Jaime has good reasons to suspect Tyrion did not / would not kill Joffrey. Protecting Sansa is one. Joffrey having acted like a monster and having made many enemies besides Tyrion is another. Tyrion not knowing the truth about Tysha at the time is another. Lastly, Tyrion said he did so, but after finding out about Tysha so that may have been to hurt him.

The reasons why he would have doubts, and think Tyrion might have done it are:

If Cersei has been lying to Jaime all these years, then why not Tyrion also?

If Tyrion thought his life was actually in danger (or Sansa's), he might have done it in self-defense thinking he has no choice.

Tyrion did kill Tywin after all, and he was kin too.

Lannisters seem to be very good at hurting each other.

I'm afraid that Jaime had good skills but not much of a brain. Yes he believes he did it, because he said it to him face to face, while he was telling (other) true facts.

If you think for 2 seconds about Tyrion attempting to kill Joffrey, knowing Tyrion, you should figure out he wouldn't try to do it with such a big crowd. But I guess Jaime can't see that .

If you think for 2 seconds about Tyrion attempting to kill Joffrey, knowing Tyrion, you should figure out he wouldn't try to do it with such a big crowd. But I guess Jaime can't see that .

I know! I consider Jaime smart, so it troubles me the author would write it this way. Jaime is the person who knows Tyrion the most.

Archived