Does BWB do much good?

Seaworth'sShipmate

I sometimes wonder if the Brotherhood without Banners, when led by Beric, really helped the Riverlands peasants all that much.

I mean they were incapable of really fighting the Lannisters lords and soldiers, and Im not sure who they really killed of consequence. They didn't really put a dent in the bloody mummers, and that seems like a group they could have had a reasonable time of eliminating ( or at least damaging).

Part of me thinks the BWB, just gives people like Gregor Clegane or Amory Lorch an excuse to make the peasants lives harder. Granted they'd make them hard even without BWB, but there seem to be a lot of instances where Lannister soldiers occupy villages and torture people asking where "Lord Beric is?"

Also, I know they have the whole "Robin Hood" image, but have they really helped poor and suffering people that much? They may care about them, but the first priority of any outlaw group is to finance itself. I imagine they keep or benefit themselves of most of the gold they steal. Thoughts?

Archived