December Reading Thread

Garett Hornwood

This is on my TBR list,let me know how it goes.

In the end, it's good but not great. Lots of good ideas, and I like the way it sets up the rest of the series (there's an interesting element of doubt about who we're actually meant to be rooting for here), but the execution is mostly functional rather than special. Worth a look, I'd say, it's stronger than a fair few of the recent epic fantasy- and another one in the increasing line of definitely-epic-fantasy-but-not-inspired-by-Tolkienite-settings which can only be a good thing for the genre as a whole. But I doubt it'll blow your mind.

Sword of the North, the follow-up to Luke Scull's excellent The Grim Company landed on my kindle last night. Very much looking forward to this one.

However, it will have to wait as I'm currently a third of the way through Robin Hobb's Fool's Assassin. Hats off to Hobb, she really knows how to set the old heart strings thrumming. There's something about these characters, Fitz in particular, that I just find absolutely heartbreaking. So, so sad. I had to put it down earlier, get a grip on myself. Even now, typing this, I'm barely in control of my emotions. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Sword of the North, the follow-up to Luke Scull's excellent The Grim Company landed on my kindle last night. Very much looking forward to this one.

However, it will have to wait as I'm currently a third of the way through Robin Hobb's Fool's Assassin. Hats off to Hobb, she really knows how to set the old heart strings thrumming. There's something about these characters, Fitz in particular, that I just find absolutely heartbreaking. So, so sad. I had to put it down earlier, get a grip on myself. Even now, typing this, I'm barely in control of my emotions. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

A third of the way through eh? I believe I know what you are talking about...that hit me harder than I thought it would too.

Actually, two things really choked me up around that point :crying: I'm not sure which you are referring to so I wont put spoilers up in case you are not that far in yet.

A third of the way through eh? I believe I know what you are talking about...that hit me harder than I thought it would too.

Actually, two things really choked me up around that point :crying: I'm not sure which you are referring to so I wont put spoilers up in case you are not that far in yet.

Molly just died. And Fitz's reaction ... oh my god. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Molly just died. And Fitz's reaction ... oh my god. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Ah. That.

Yup, that hit me harder than I expected too...I didn't realise I cared so much about Molly :crying:

The other thing that was hard for me was her seemingly false pregnancy. Something about reading those passages where Fitz is convinced she is mad and deluding herself and her obsession with this child that she wants so much...I just couldn't deal with it :(

Ah. That.

Yup, that hit me harder than I expected too...I didn't realise I cared so much about Molly :crying:

The other thing that was hard for me was her seemingly false pregnancy. Something about reading those passages where Fitz is convinced she is mad and deluding herself and her obsession with this child that she wants so much...I just couldn't deal with it :(

Yes, the (supposed) phantom pregnancy got me as well. My 44-year-old sister is currently seven months into her first pregnancy, so a lot of that storyline touched me quite deeply. Poor little Bee. Already my heart is breaking for her. Though, she's clearly a White Prophet. And I'm quite surprised Fitz hasn't sussed this yet, as to me, it's glaringly obvious. Of course, I could be wrong, but I doubt it....

Just finished Prince of Thorns, which I liked. Prose was more fun than I expected and while the ending was rushed, Jorg is great to read about. However

The blurb for the sequel implies that Jorgs betters his way somewhat, which I think is a shame. The fact that he has was willing to do all these things is what made him interest. But anyway I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Now continuing King's Different Seasons anthology.

I finished The Three-Body Problem by the Chinese author Cixin Liu. According to Tor this is the first Chinese science fiction novel translated into English. it is a first part of a trilogy it was a mega hit in China, which made me curious. Overall I was quite impressed. Really good and quite original sci-fi ideas, engaging plot, one of the two main characters (whose story starts at the time of the Cultural Revolution) is very well developed and pretty unusual for the genre. The destructive effect of the Cultural Revolution is very well presented on a personal and societal level. Pretty original and well developed aliens too. Overall I was quite impressed.

There were some problems though. Main one was that the other main character, the contemporary scientist, is extremely underdeveloped. He is a stereotypical scientist to the core and nothing more. He barely interacts with his wife and son and basically forgot about them for the last 2/3 of the novel and would rather discuss his personal problems he barely knew. Some of the "bad guys" turn to be really incompetent which makes the plot resolution for this volume a bit disappointing. Still, I am looking forward to the next volume.

Read Stone Spring by Stephen Baxter. Liked it a lot, an alternate earth where the stone age people are doing something about the rising sea levels that threaten their home as the Ice Age glaciers continue to melt and recede. Already ordered the other two books in the Northlands trilogy.

Currently reading Terminal World by Alistair Reynolds, which is kind of the other end of timeline from Stone Spring, where the last remnants of civilization are barely holding on in a dying Earth. Still trying to figure out all that is going on.

I began December by finishing the ever so tedious and boring American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. Dear god was that a slow read. I didn't care much for any of the characters, I thought the story was kind of silly, and it felt like it never really took off. It just went on and on without any kind of decent pacing or excitement. It also felt like the author thought it was so cool to have gods chainsmoking cigarettes and drinking beer and saying fuck a lot, like he wanted people to think "Oh look how fashionable gritty and raw this story is! No fairytale-fantasy here, which of course automatically makes it awesome! gritty, gritty, gritty!"

I have seen this book being praised a lot around the internet, but it really wasn't my kind of story. Two big thumbs down. It was a big bleh for me.

So I finished it after forcing myself through the last part, and afterwards picked up Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn at the bookstore. I'm halfway through, and so far it's awesome! She's very good at keeping me interested, and paints a portrait of a relationship that feels very real and like something that could happen in real life. After reading Gaimans detached and empty book it feels nice to read a story where I actually care for and feel with the characters. Love it so far, a great December-read!

As feared, I abondoned Jack Whyte's second book in the Camulod Chronicles. Too dull and predictable and the prose and characterization are pretty nondescript. I finished off a non-fiction by Luc Ferry -- philosophy and mythology. He's thought-provoking and expresses his ideas well. I am about a quarter way into Wolf Hall and enjoying it. It's trying to both be a biograhpical narrative and an explanation of the political backdrop (Henry VIII). The author is not yet balancing the back and forth very well but I hope it will improve. There's some very good prose in there but also a few instances where the author lost the thread a bit. It needed a stronger editor.

Those books have been interspersed with a couple of really lightweight urban fantasy. I was exhausted during some flights last week and switched to some lighter fare for a few hours here and there. Outside of Neil Gaiman, I cannot think of any other urban fantasy I have read. Generation V is about vampires but manages to not be as emo as Twilight and its ilk seems to be. It's mainly a story about a doormat loser-ish beta male with a heart of gold and a sob story who disappoints his successful family but now has a sexy female friend who teases him as they unravel mysteries. He just happens to be a vampire who has not yet developed his powers. It's light, funny in spots and entertaining, even if I keep gnashing my teeth at how pathetic is the main character. He needs some testosterone and a spine, never mind his vampire powers. I expect that is the rather thin allegory underlying the books.

I have some interesting options waiting to be read next, including Gears of the City and All the Light We Cannot See

Archived