Westerosvision: A Festival of Ice and Fire

olojkross

I wrote down notes as I listened to each song. Didn't keep the ones for the songs to which I decided not to give points. Though I remember writing something about cat-screeching with regard to New Ghis. ;) Here are the notes for the ones I kept.

1. Norvos- evokes a feeling of peace and beauty, almost pastoral. Very much Quentyn--possibly Trystane as well--but not fiery enough for Arianne. Does not make me think of either Mellario or Areo Hotah. Knowing so little about Norvos, it's hard to gauge the suitability.

2. Pyke- strong sea-faring music. Has a definite martial feel to parts of it. The reed-based bits are less like the warrior men of Pyke, but would probably fit the lesser iron born. I could see Asha dancing to this maybe. The darker parts would fit the knife/axe game well. Good solid choice. Would have liked more fiddle in it.

4. Myr- interesting right out of the gate. Atmospheric. Evokes activity and a vivid, energetic sort of place. But also people who know how to relax.

6. Eastwatch-by-the-Sea- I'm liking the soft reeds above a military style percussion background.

7. Tyrosh- Funky! I like it! Definite flavor there. Sounds like life is a bazaar in Tyrosh. Love it.

8. Volantis- nice Middle Eastern/Eastern flair. Sounds like it's too hot to move in Volantis. I'd like more forceful percussion to evoke elephants' footsteps. Very nice choice.

9. Riverrun- not impressed at the start. Okay it starts getting better a little over 30 seconds in. Would prefer strings to woodwinds for the melody. Mood of the music fits with the past of the inhabitants. It goes well with Lysa/Littlefinger/Brandon/Cat/Hoster and all of that.

10. Lands of Always Winter- definitely sounds cold. This one gets better by the second! I'm loving it!

11. Tarth- soft opening. Simple, yet beautiful. Restful and lovely. Sounds like a love theme. Brienne and Jaime FTW!

12. Oldtown- definitely dramatic. Mix of dark and whimsical. Very appropriate. Odd percussion begins at around the 2 min 30 sec mark. Takes it down a bit in my estimation. Nice choir. Excellent crescendo toward the end.

13. White Harbor- Nice. Ended abruptly though. (actually that could be because of my browser, been having trouble with it lately)

18. Bear Island- Interesting. Rather understated for what I expected. Drums should be louder. This would have been better for Starfall or Tarth.

20. Vaes Dothrak- I'm liking Vaes Dothrak.

These are my votes! :)

12 Pyke, 10 Starfall, 8 Norvos, 7 Summer Islands, 6 Lands of Winter, 5 Tyrosh, 4 Volantis, 3 Myr, 2 Riverrun, 1 Bear Island

Ranking after 4 people voting

1. Pyke 42 points

2. Tyrosh 28 points

3. Lands of Winter 28 points

4. The Summer Isles 20 points

5. Myr 19 points

6. Volantis 18 points

7. Starfall 16 points

8. Norvos 11 points

9. Oldtown 10 points

10. Tarth 9 points

11. Lorath 7 points

12. Eastwatch-by-the-Sea 6 points

13. Vaes Dothrak 6 points

14. Riverrun 6 points

15. Asshai 5 points

16. Bear Island 1 point

17. Maidenpool 0 points

18. New Ghis 0 points

19. The Eyrie 0 points

20. White Harbor 0 points

Notes:

1. Braavos--sounds appropriate for an island nation, sea-going style music. Suits the multiple

nationalities and faiths that are found there. Sounds both magical and mysterious, but hopeful

overall. Very nice. I'm really loving this one. It somehow manages to be ominous and cheerful

at the same time. The arrangement is nicely balanced. I might like it a tad better if it was

written down a second or a third, but it's still great as is.

2. Qohor--nice percussion to open. Middle Eastern sort of vibe to it. Don't know much about

Qohor other than that they follow a god called the Black Goat. Isn't Vargo a Qohorik? Can't

remember for sure. Half-way through the vocal is now too loud, it overshadows the music too

much. Harmony is nice, but the lead is still a bit too strong. Ok, but not a favorite.

3. Skagos--loving it off the bat. Great fiddle and percussion. Nice choir work too. Funky music

says my daughter). Great song, an early favorite. I can see Rickon and Shaggy amongst

the "savages" with this music.

4. Yunkai--mystical goat-herder music! Nice drums. Good beat. Really great! A top pick for sure.

daughter says it's funkay.

5. The Arbor--pastoral, at least compared to the first four. Sweet song. Like a lullaby.

I can see the vineyards and flowers, hazy warm summer days. Not getting a sense of the

Westerosi navy at all though. Good but seems incomplete.

6. Castle Black--sounds military-ish. Sounds like a place where rough men live and the

strong survive. Nice bagpipes. They remind me of Braveheart. Nice wolf howl in there for Ghost.

Solid choice thus far. In the second half you get a definite sense of the danger near the Wall from

the way the music builds.

7. Pentos--kind of non-desrcipt beginning. I'm pausing it now for buffering. Wish I had a faster

internet connection. Almost a minute in and it's just not impressing me. Which may be a great

fit for Pentos actually. I've never found that city particularly interesting. Meh.

8. Lys--sounds mysterious. Not a big sense of place though.

9. Meereen--much better than Lys to start. Sounds sad and dramatic. Good song overall.

10. Storm's End--Wow! Strong beginning. Awesome fit! Top contender! Possibly number #1.

the song evokes might, drama, passion, tragedy, and triumph.

11. Astapor--slow beginning. Different. It's ok. Sounds ominous but not quite bloody enough, if

that makes sense.

12. Qarth--I like it so far. It doesn't seem to capture the complexity. It's a lovely song, just not

quite what I would have expected for a city with those massive walls and the warlocks.

13. Saltpans--nice, but not particularly evocative of anything really.

14. Three Sisters--start sounds kine of like a foghorn, which is unique and thus good. It seems

rather halting and unfinished. Not sure if I like it or not. Definitely different.

15. Valyria--too quiet, at least at the start, but it's a longer song so there's time to develop a

stronger sound. Takes the desolation approach rather than the doom approach. Which is

unexpected but nice. I like the song a lot. It just doesn't fit my conception of Valyria as an

empire. Probably fits the wasteland ok, but needs more smoke. I don't know how to explain

what I mean by that right now. Underwhelming

16. Mantarys-- opens with a nice beat. This I like. Very cool. Sounds like a versatile and

possibly dangerous place. Music cut out at the end. But still a great one.

17. The Dreadfort--appropriately spooky. I like it's ominous tone overlayed with almost sprightly

woodwinds. Ending was a bit disappointing.

18. Old Ghis--definitely better than new Ghis. Makes me think of snake charming. Very

atmospheric. Makes it sound like a place that's fascinating but you should stay far far away from.

Strong contender for my votes.

19. Naath--sounds a bit complex for a place that's peaceful most of the time, but it's early.

Doesn't seem quite right, but I like it anyway.

20. Dragonstone--picks up about 30 secs in, which is good. I'm liking the beat, and the strings.

Fantastic as we head toward the 2 min mark. I hope it has a good finish. Ending was a little

underwhelming but still it was a great song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived