Fantasy Recommendation, heavily character driven

Circle_breaker

Hello all, I'm looking for some recommendations for a new book to read, so i figured this forum would be the best place to ask around.

I hope character drivin in the correct term but I'm looking for a book that is centered around an ensemble of characters. If anyone has read the Tales of Ketty Jay or even Lies of lock lomore, a book similar to those with a 'crew', 'gang', or company working together. I am open to spread out POVs but it would not be my ideal choice.

Just as a refrence here are some books that ive read and loved (most wont be in the style I'm looking for, it's just a current mood kind of thing.)

The Heroes

Lies of Locke

Tales of the Ketty Jay

Blood song

the red knight

The heresy within

name of the wind

I would say those are my favorite books, so if you enjoyed those you could point me in the direction of other books you enjoyed.

Thanks for the help! I've hit a bit of reading snag and need something to pull me out.

I guess i'll give this robert stanek guy a shot.

Readers all over the world are discovering the works of Robert Stanek. Fans have called his books the "Star Wars" of fantasy, and liken his writing to a wonderful cross between JRR Tolkien and JK Rowling. We tend to think that the books are just plain fun to read. Filled with mystery, intrigue, adventure, and magic the books transport readers to a world unlike any other. In this insightful book, you get the real scoop on Robert Stanek. From his childhood days to his recent success with the Ruin Mist books, this outstanding book sheds new light on his life and his struggle to excel as a writer. His story is a story of hope and dreams, and in many ways, reading this book is like visiting with an old friend. You'll laugh and you'll cry and you'll be enchanted.

I mean what could possibly go wrong?

I guess i'll give this robert stanek guy a shot.

I mean what could possibly go wrong?

I am not entirely sure this is a serious post, but just in case ...

In this thread you can find many better recommendations.

I'd like to recommend you the books of Michelle West. In particular, the books set in her Sun Sword world.

Start with The Sacred Hunt duology: http://michellesagara.com/series/the-sacred-hunt/

and then move on to the Sun Sword series (imo even better than her first two books) : http://michellesagara.com/series/the_sun_sword/

There is now a newer series set in the same world (The House War) that overlaps some of the other books, time-line wise. But imo you can read the books perfectly fine in publishing order (as all her longtime fans had to ;) ).

The books have very deep worldbuilding and a group of characters that are the center of the plot over those series. There are shifting PoVs though (so the narrative is not only from the PoV of one "gang"). And be warned, Michelle West is not what i would call action-packed fantasy, where every second page a big chase or battle happens (depending on your taste, that's a pro or a con). She has nice prose imo and her worldbuilding and her characterization are superb. West is, for my tastes, one of those authors that can really trigger emotions in me as a reader (in that respect, only Guy Gavriel Kay is on a similar level as her).

One thing I would do if I were you, is go to Amazon, to the books you liked the most, and then click on some of the other books they recommend or which people bought frequently. It's a great way of reading a sample from a related fantasy book, and deciding if you want it.

I'm looking for a book that is centered around an ensemble of characters. If anyone has read the Tales of Ketty Jay or even Lies of lock lomore, a book similar to those with a 'crew', 'gang', or company working together. I am open to spread out POVs but it would not be my ideal choice.

Try some of the fantasy centered on soldiers. Erikson might be too spread out for you, but for something more recent, Django Wexler's The Thousand Names, or for something older Cook's The Black Company. Sanderson's Mistborn books focus on a thief crew. If you're okay with urban fantasy, most of it will meet the above requirement, but most have a different feel from your posted favorites. If you don't mind a modern-day setting, possibly Aaronovitch's Rivers of London/Midnight Riot?

The term "character-driven" immediately makes me think of the likes of Hobb's Assassin trilogy, but it doesn't sound like that's the type of thing you're actually looking for (then again, NOTW isn't really ensemble-focused, either, so maybe not a hardline theme here?).

Archived