Fantasy Recommendation, heavily character driven

Circle_breaker

Thanks for the recommendations, I gave farseer a try and just flew through the first two books. But i think ill take a bit of break before the third, cause man those books are depressing. The title of the series needs to be 'the story of Fitz', 'what else could go wrong?'

Also I really can't stand Regal as a character, and not in a I can't stand Joffery kind of way, I find Regal to be a very poorly written character. He switches from spoiled, pampered, brat who probably can't tie his own shoes to a cunning evil mastermind every other scene.

I think I'll Abraham a try next. Do you guys recommend Mistborn or Price Quartet first?

I think I'll Abraham a try next. Do you guys recommend Mistborn or Price Quartet first?

Mistborn is by Sanderson. Do you mean The Dagger and the Coin or The Long Price Quartet? The Long Price Quartet is my favorite work of fiction ever, so I would suggest that! Plus it is complete, while The Dagger and the Coin is not quite finished yet.

Also I really can't stand Regal as a character, and not in a I can't stand Joffery kind of way, I find Regal to be a very poorly written character. He switches from spoiled, pampered, brat who probably can't tie his own shoes to a cunning evil mastermind every other scene.

I know what you mean, there is sooooort of a reason for that though. Assassin's Quest is a very different book from the first two, barely any court politics and a much more adult book for my money.

I've just started Long Price and I'm loving it.

I know what you mean, there is sooooort of a reason for that though. Assassin's Quest is a very different book from the first two, barely any court politics and a much more adult book for my money.

I've just started Long Price and I'm loving it.

Yeah that was kind of the feeling I got, sadly the court politics was what was keeping me the most interested.

I was really looking foward to Fitz taking over buckkeep. I thought the final story being Fitz balancing a war between the red raiders from the coast and regal from the inland would have been epic....

Get your hands on some Robin Hobb. Nobody does characterization better IMO

Thanks for the recommendations, I gave farseer a try and just flew through the first two books. But i think ill take a bit of break before the third, cause man those books are depressing. The title of the series needs to be 'the story of Fitz', 'what else could go wrong?'

Sorry, had to do this :p

I wish people would actually read the OP and recommend books that meet the qualifications therein, and not just recommend their favorite books that are nothing like what the OP is asking for. Yeah, that would be nice.

Pffft next thing you'll be wanting people to actually read the rec forums first before posting vague request topics.

How about a crew of superheroes, working to overthrow a cabal of cruel dictators with links to the criminal underground?

Shield and Crocus, by Michael R Underwood.

The blurb:

In a city built among the bones of a fallen giant, a small group of heroes looks to reclaim their home from the five criminal tyrants who control it.

The city of Audec-Hal sits among the bones of a Titan. For decades it has suffered under the dominance of five tyrants, all with their own agendas. Their infighting is nothing, though, compared to the mysterious “Spark-storms” that alternate between razing the land and bestowing the citizens with wild, unpredictable abilities. It was one of these storms that gave First Sentinel, leader of the revolutionaries known as the Shields of Audec-Hal, power to control the emotional connections between people—a power that cost him the love of his life.

Now, with nothing left to lose, First Sentinel and the Shields are the only resistance against the city’s overlords as they strive to free themselves from the clutches of evil. The only thing they have going for them is that the crime lords are fighting each other as well—that is, until the tyrants agree to a summit that will permanently divide the city and cement their rule of Audec-Hal.

It’s one thing to take a stand against oppression, but with the odds stacked against the Shields, it’s another thing to actually triumph.

DIsclaimer: Can't really vouch for the character development, because, well, I didn't finish it. As much as I wanted to love this book, certain things about the way it was written just rubbed me up the wrong way. But I know plenty of people who really, really loved it. Most of those guys are heavily into comic book superheroes, whereas I, myself, am not.

Pffft next thing you'll be wanting people to actually read the rec forums first before posting vague request topics.

I have the same problem with vague rec threads that you do. This one, however, was not vague in the slightest.

Archived