College Football 2014: The crowning of Mariota

Kalbear

And from the prior topic:

I don't think it's some disaster if an 8-4 team gets in once every 5 years or something. They're almost assuredly going to get the piss beaten out of them by the #1 team on that team's home field in the first round, so it's not going to be a non-factor most of the time, and a nice reward for finishing number 1 overall in those random years.

And if an 8-4 team beats, say, Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon in three straight weeks, well, then maybe you need to look into what factors led them to be 8-4 (maybe they're conference was a lot toughter than thought, for example).

The only time the power 5 conferences have produced a champion with more than 2 losses in the last several years is when Wisconsin won the Big 10 after finishing third in their division, because Ohio State and Penn State were both on probation. 95%+ of power five conference champions finish with 2 or fewer losses.

I'm much less worried about a champion sucking and much more worried about teams letting up the gas if they've got the championship in the bag. Having a team that is 8-4 get into the playoffs is a feature, not a bug (provided that they were a good team that got unlucky). Letting a team in that lost because they rested their starters sucks hard.

And from the prior topic:

I'm much less worried about a champion sucking and much more worried about teams letting up the gas if they've got the championship in the bag. Having a team that is 8-4 get into the playoffs is a feature, not a bug (provided that they were a good team that got unlucky). Letting a team in that lost because they rested their starters sucks hard.

I agree that it sucks, but I don't think it will happen too often, and I think it's much, much less of an issue than leaving a conference's worthy champion out of the playoff, which is going to happen almost every single year, and sometimes multiple conferences.

I agree that it sucks, but I don't think it will happen too often, and I think it's much, much less of an issue than leaving a conference's worthy champion out of the playoff, which is going to happen almost every single year, and sometimes multiple conferences.

I agree with you, I knew if everyone won out, the BIGXXII would be setting there scratching their head. And its all because the never played a championship game. Now, it will probably be hard to add two schools. Even if they do, it will be 2-3 years before the can move to the Conf. There's talk the might petition to change the amount of teams needed for a Conf. championship, I don't see it happening.

Even though Mariota wins in a landslide, it's ridiculous that Boykin didn't get an invite to New York. Aside from Mariota, he's the most electric player I've seen all year, and the player who made the biggest difference to his team. On top of that, he's coming off a career day - 30/41 for 460 yards, 4 TD/1 INT, 44 rush yards, and a 55 yard TD reception.

In happier news, TCU cleaned house in awards:

- Patterson wins national COTY, almost certainly Big XII COTY although not yet announced.

- Boykin is Big XII OPOTY

- Paul Dawson, LB, is Big XII DPOTY (this is a converted WR who has worked his way up from zero draft prospects to fourth or fifth round this season)

- 2 safeties on first-team all-conference defense

Lots of players are finalists for other awards, and I expect a few (especially Dawson) to make All-American team. Boykin probably second team.

We only lose a single starter on offense for next season. If we can reload on defense, which hasn't typically been a problem for us, we should be a top contender next season as well.

I do think the Big XII is going to tell Baylor to step their game up non-conference scheduling wise, or else pass a rule that disallows scheduling FCS programs.

Because Baylor's non conference schedule screwed the conference this year in a big way. The fact that the committee had shown that they were going to punish Baylor for their non-con painted the conference into a corner on naming a champion. I think had the roles been reversed and TCU won the head to head with Baylor and the committee had shown TCU respect, they would have supported TCU. But Baylor was never getting into that playoff because of their non conference schedule.

If that happens then the playoffs have already been a force for awesome.

Second Mariota gif-fest is up if anyone's interested. I get to experience rage again at De'Anthony Thomas for not blocking. Why, DAT? WHYYYYY

If that happens then the playoffs have already been a force for awesome.

Second Mariota gif-fest is up if anyone's interested. I get to experience rage again at De'Anthony Thomas for not blocking. Why, DAT? WHYYYYY

Yeah that was a tough one. I had almost forgotten about it. Gotta say I love the gif-fest.

Also Melvin Gordon said he's going to the draft.

I do think the Big XII is going to tell Baylor to step their game up non-conference scheduling wise, or else pass a rule that disallows scheduling FCS programs.

Because Baylor's non conference schedule screwed the conference this year in a big way. The fact that the committee had shown that they were going to punish Baylor for their non-con painted the conference into a corner on naming a champion. I think had the roles been reversed and TCU won the head to head with Baylor and the committee had shown TCU respect, they would have supported TCU. But Baylor was never getting into that playoff because of their non conference schedule.

The Big XXII has no right to correct Baylor for anything. As a matter of fact, I can not think of a time where a conference has screwed over a program in a larger fashion.

The Big XXII has no right to correct Baylor for anything. As a matter of fact, I can not think of a time where a conference has screwed over a program in a larger fashion.

No, Baylor screwed themselves by playing a schedule so bad they had no shot at the playoff. They forced the conferences hand to tacitly support TCU.

Baylor has skills and talent to compete on a national level but the coach is making some perplexing decisions about their schedule. The road to respect and reputation for their football program does not go through schools they are choosing to schedule. The same year Baylor lined up Incarnate Word, TCU scheduled Ohio State. Which team gets more national respect? Which game gets national ratings? These things matter to the playoff committee. Like it or not, Baylor is going to have to play to the whims of the committee or they're going to get dismissed year after year.

Archived