GoT during Awards Season

Lion_Eyes

I know TV awards (SAG, Golden Globes & later in the year Emmys) in the US are far from the reason that Benioff & Weiss decided to pursue making the television adaptation of the Song of Ice and Fire series but do you think the lack of nominations and recognition annoys them and others involved in the show? And why do you think it is not nominated?

It is arguably one of the most talked about current shows, has an excellent ensemble cast and is a bloody great show but generally hasn't done well - a big problem I imagine is lack of screentime. None of the actors are in the show enough to be "main" actors so would all be competing as supporting actors and will split votes in the initial process if even considered.

Right I love Peter Dinklage as Tyrion but I feel for the other cast members when he is generally the only one nominated. Yes he gets all the witty one liners and was particularly excellent in season 1 but I felt much of Season 4 he didn't really "bring it", the same as he has in the past apart from the speech at his trial which was really over-acted I felt. Is it star power, love for his character or his brilliant acting that got him an Emmy and SAG nomination this year? Charles Dance was excellent - not sure his billing (supporting or guest). Fair enough the other male actor who in my opinion challenge Dinklage to get the nomination would be Nicolaj Coster Waldau but then I am not sure he features enough and cannot imagine his invented storyline in Dorne packing many punches. Which leaves the only other realistic (future) tip for an Emmy. Lena Headey was snubbed after season 2 (I wondered if her gurning and scowling put people off as well as her probably not featuring enough but she was amazing in Blackwater!) but if the Walk of Shame/fall from grace doesn't get her even a nomination then she is never gonna win! Obviously as GoT is a predominantly British show it would be nice to see someone British win!

Michelle Fairley should have been nominated for Season 3 not Emilia Clarke but as "Khaleesi" is a more recognisable (and in some opinions a more likeable )character a la Tyrion I wonder if this was why!

Are shows contractually obligated to put everyone they want forward (I know Natalie Dormer submitted herself one year) or are they better putting all their eggs in one basket?

Its probably all political I know! Sorry if i have rambled - I just want the opinions of others who know the whole award thing better than me :read: :blushing:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived