Was Jeor Mormont right to give Longclaw to Jon Snow?

Malakai Kahn

Longclaw is the traditional sword of House Mormont and therefore Jeor Mormont had no right to give it away. If Ned had survived and passed Ice on to Robb and Robb then gave it away so many people would be annoyed at this claiming Robb had no right. With Jeor Mormont in the Nights Watch I don't think he has any right to have the sword anyway, it should have gone to Dacey as a noted warrior.

Jorah was so desperate for money he sold people into slavery, a capital offense, but he didn't sell the sword even though he could've gotten a fortune for it. That's how important the sword was for House Mormont. Then Jeor just gifted it to some guy he met a few months ago and barely knew. Makes total sense. Not.

I think it depends on what Jeor might have thought would happen to the sword when Jon died. See, the Mormonts aren't Jeor's family anymore, the Watch is. And it's possible (since he probably already had Jon pegged for leadership) the sword could become the property of the Lord Commander, passed from one worthy leader to another.

Or he could have just been a bit more into patriarchy than we suspect and felt the sword should go to a worthy male, of which there were none in his family.

Jorah was so desperate for money he sold people into slavery, a capital offense, but he didn't sell the sword even though he could've gotten a fortune for it. That's how important the sword was for House Mormont. Then Jeor just gifted it to some guy he met a few months ago and barely knew. Makes total sense. Not.

I have to agree with this. At his worst, when he was selling away his soul literally, Jorah kept the family's most valuable treasure with it. I don't know what Jeor was thinking giving away a family heirloom on a virtual spur of the moment choice. I think it would be an incredibly classy move on Jon's part if he returned it to the Mormonts at some point.

It's his sword and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Well yeah? I mean... sure.. but it might still be wrong..? And yes its his, but like the lordship he got a responsibility.

He is giving away a family possession- one which should stay in the family. I believe its wrong. That others may disagree I understand, but the argument that "its his, he can do whatevah" is just terrible

So is the simplistic counter argument of "It's the family sword, it should stay."

Right, wrong, don't we all know by now that reality is more complicated?

Technically the men of the watch have no other family*, so by that logic it should go to a man of the watch surely? ;)

Okay, yeah things are a bit more complicated than that. The thing is, why does Jeor even have the sword? As far as I remember, Jorah (the scumbag) left it behind when he ran away like a little girl, and it was sent to Jeor (?).

*while that seems to be true in theory, in practice we know it isn't like that at all

I agree with this is. It's one of the most WTF moments in the series that exists for no other reason than to make Jon even more special.

If Martin really had to give Jon a Valyrian steel sword, he could have just as easily introduced Longclaw as the sword of the Lord Commander that Jon took possession of when he became LC at the end of SoS. The sword has been utterly irrelevant so far anyhow.

Archived