Should brothels be banned?

Seaworth'sShipmate

No sane person believes that making prostitution legal results in fewer rapes ... merely in fewer REPORTED rapes. Because of course (among other reasons) the extensive raping and sexual slavery of trafficked women and children goes largely unreported and ignored.

You honestly have no clue.

You honestly have no clue.

Umm. I do. The vast majority of rapes are never reported. All evidence is that prostitutes are raped at an astounding rate, and these are almost never reported. Germany is probably the rape capital of the world right now. Yes, it is nice for the local German women that the imported girls controlled by the gangs and cartels are getting raped instead of them (and there is some evidence that this may be happening) but that is all that is happening, and it is not a humanitarian solution.

In any event, comparative rape rates are very questionable, because rapes tend to go unreported in rape-friendly cultures.

This is a joke, right? What is your plan for achieving this?

I'll happily leave them alone as long as it does not lead to abuse and trafficking of women and children. But it does.

I don't admire adultery or prostitution, but I don't think would be a matter for the state if not for these more compelling concerns.

In developed countries, things like abuse, underage sex workers and trafficking generally have legal action taken against them.

I do not think it is correct to assume that adultery and prostitution have to walk hand in hand with those more distasteful elements above, the distasteful elements will exist regardless. Distasteful elements would exist even if society externally embraced your ideal of sex only occurring within marrige - people would abuse marriage, abuse their own children and so on (as they already do),

And what makes you think the removal of rights and legality of the happy ones does anything at all to stop the illegal bullshit that goes on separate from the legal side of the profession? Illegality didn't stop it before. Why would it stop it now? Protip: It won't.

Murder and theft have also been around since the dawn of time. While making those acts illegal did not get rid of them, nobody is suggesting making murder legal and regulating it in a "safe and controlled setting".

While making something illegal doesn't always stop it, it almost always decreases the amount of it (usually drastically).

Umm. I do. The vast majority of rapes are never reported. All evidence is that prostitutes are raped at an astounding rate, and these are almost never reported. Germany is probably the rape capital of the world right now. Yes, it is nice for the local German women that the imported girls controlled by the gangs and cartels are getting raped instead of them (and there is some evidence that this may be happening) but that is all that is happening, and it is not a humanitarian solution.

In any event, comparative rape rates are very questionable, because rapes tend to go unreported in rape-friendly cultures.

I love it how you say Germany is rape central then pre-emptively declare rape rates unreliable. The hypocricy, the irony, the ignorance. You are so full of it, it's embarrasing.

Murder and theft have also been around since the dawn of time. While making those acts illegal did not get rid of them, nobody is suggesting making murder legal and regulating it in a "safe and controlled setting".

While making something illegal doesn't always stop it, it almost always decreases the amount of it (usually drastically).

Don't compare murder and thievery to the exchange of goods and services ever again please, it's insulting.

I love it how you say Germany is rape central then pre-emptively declare rape rates unreliable. The hypocricy, the irony, the ignorance. You are so full of it, it's embarrasing.

I never raised the issue of rape statistics. You did. And you want to just make assumptions. You want to ignore the flaws in your analysis. You want to assume the reported rape arrest statistics represent the full reality, when it is a known fact that there has an enormous increase in human trafficking.

Anyway, this Nevada study does not support your beliefs, even as applied only to reported arrests:

http://cacs.unlv.edu/SDBs/Rape/Rape%20in%20Nevada%20v4.pdf

I never raised the issue of rape statistics. You did.

You're deluded...

What is insulting, and dishonest, is the way you deliberately chose to miss his point.

No, I didn't. He made a point of equating murder to prostitution, and I called him out on his hideous misrepresentation of what prostitution is compared to murder.

No, I didn't. He made a point of equating murder to prostitution, and I called him out on his hideous misrepresentation of what prostitution is compared to murder.

No, I didn't. I made a point explaining some crimes should be illegal even if people will still commit them. I also raised another point that while outlawing something might not make it go away completely, it will still drastically reduce the occurrence of that crime.

You purposely chose to miss my points as an excuse to call them "hideous misrepresentations". The only hideous misrepresentation is your interpretation of my statement.

We have here an enormous parrot riding on a dinosaur.

I fail to see what is wrong with riding dinosaurs.

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DinoRiders.jpg

Is it the factories? Because those industrial facilities are completely legal (as far as you know)!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfuKoXH0amc

This is a false statement. If you replace "generally" with "sometimes", it would be accurate.

I live in a developed country and I don't think there is a noticeable problem with brothels that are selling imported, underage sex. I think if there was, there would be a reasonable public outcry and law enforcement would have to respond.

No, I didn't. I made a point explaining some crimes should be illegal even if people will still commit them. I also raised another point that while outlawing something might not make it go away completely, it will still drastically reduce the occurrence of that crime.

To which I pointed out you're comparing murder to paid sex as if paid sex should be a crime. Rape is a crime. Paid sex isn't in many countries.

Best part about all this? No matter how much you moral police post about how paid sex should be illegal, it isn't, and in future it will only be more and more accepted and decriminalized throughout the world.

I live in a developed country and I don't think there is a noticeable problem with brothels that are selling imported, underage sex. I think if there was, there would be a reasonable public outcry and law enforcement would have to respond.

Right? The thing is these posters keep equating paid sex with rape (and most recently, murder). Paid sex isn't a crime. Making paid sex illegal doesn't stop rape. Most rape has nothing to do with prostitution.

Right? The thing is these posters keep equating paid sex with rape (and most recently, murder). Paid sex isn't a crime. Making paid sex illegal doesn't stop rape. Most rape has nothing to do with prostitution.

I think their argument revolves around some kind of semi religious ideal that sex is a dirty or private word/concept that should be kept behind the closed doors of marriage and, that if it is locked away like this, then violent and sex crimes will decrease.

I come form an almost opposite line of reasoning. I think that it is exactly the 'locking away' of sexuality, that texts like the Bible have enforced, that create sexual repression and disallow society to move forward whilst integrating sexual freedoms into correct functioning.

Archived