Average height in Westeros?

Real Jaime

Well i think Gregor is near 8 feet, but not 8 at all. Still it´s too much for that musculature

I don´t know if people in Westeros are taller than in the real world in average... I mean, they should be shorter, especially the peasants who would have a poor diet with lack of proteins.

I would say that a nobleman could be 5`9-510 in average, and a peasant maybe 5´7-5´8.

Well i think Gregor is near 8 feet, but not 8 at all. Still it´s too much for that musculature

I don´t know if people in Westeros are taller than in the real world in average... I mean, they should be shorter, especially the peasants who would have a poor diet with lack of proteins.

I would say that a nobleman could be 5`9-510 in average, and a peasant maybe 5´7-5´8.

I think it's less, all around 6 foot are described as tall, average would be like 5'8, peasants 5'5 or so.

I think it's less, all around 6 foot are described as tall, average would be like 5'8, peasants 5'5 or so.

That depends on what you think is tall. For me if you are two inches more than the average you are tall, so would be a 6 foot guy

Maybe we could also make distinctions between regions... I imagine Dornish shorter, for example

The author noted how Oberyn was tall at 6 foot. So I assume that nobles with a good diet are on average 5 foot 9 for men. The peasant males are a lot shorter.

Theon said that he was shorter than most knights, so he was happy with a smaller yet nimble horse. Assuming the nobles who were strong enough to become knights are taller than the average 5 foot 9 noble, so maybe 5 foot 11 or so, Theon would be an average noble at 5 foot 9.

Theon being 5 foot 9 would mean Asha would be 5 foot 8, which would fit Victarion's description of her as being "tall for a woman", but she still had to stand on her toes to kiss Victarion (who's probably closer to Sandor's height than to Robert)

I would assume that the height is very different depending on where ya come from, just like in the real world? For example, some documentary I saw said Vikings were very popular as body guards in Turkey and the surrounding region because they were much taller than the average man there...

Not based on anything specific, I think people from the North, Vale and Iron Islands are the tallest... followed by the Westerlands, Reach, Crownlands, Stormlands and Dorne.

The author noted how Oberyn was tall at 6 foot. So I assume that nobles with a good diet are on average 5 foot 9 for men. The peasant males are a lot shorter.

Where does the text say that Oberyn is 6 foot? I only remember that Tyrion think he is tall, but for Tyrions everybody is tall...

Theon said that he was shorter than most knights, so he was happy with a smaller yet nimble horse. Assuming the nobles who were strong enough to become knights are taller than the average 5 foot 9 noble, so maybe 5 foot 11 or so, Theon would be an average noble at 5 foot 9.

Well i don´t think that knights are taller in average. At least that you were really weak, or fat, or crippled, probably you would be knighted anyway. There were also short knights, i suppose.

Not based on anything specific, I think people from the North, Vale and Iron Islands are the tallest... followed by the Westerlands, Reach, Crownlands, Stormlands and Dorne.

I imagine that regions with more Andal Blood would usually have taller people , so I´d put the Vale and the Westerlands above the list. Probably the shortest would be the Dornish(more Mediterranean type) and the IB(poor diet)

Slightly taller than in the real world I think? The Mountain is said to be 8 feet tall and that just doesn't happen in the real world.

Yes it does. 18 men and one woman have been recorded and verified to have grown over 8 feet tall since 1835, with the tallest, Robert Wadlow, growing to 8 feet 11 inches, and not showing any sign of stopping growing before dying of a leg infection at the age of 22.

Yes it does. 18 men and one woman have been recorded and verified to have grown over 8 feet tall since 1835, with the tallest, Robert Wadlow, growing to 8 feet 11 inches, and not showing any sign of stopping growing before dying of a leg infection at the age of 22.

The weird thing about the mountain is not that he´s so tall, but his musculature. The tallest and most muscular person i can think of is Shaquille O´Neal, and he is 7´1...

Where does the text say that Oberyn is 6 foot? I only remember that Tyrion think he is tall, but for Tyrions everybody is tall...

Oops, you are correct. It's not stated in the books that Oberyn was 6 foot, I remembered wrong.

I agree that some knights were of average height, such as Raymun Fossoway and Glendon Flowers from Dunk and Egg (although they were age 16 or so at the time, still time to grow), but I still believe that knights are taller than the average noble.

In general, only strong fighting men can become knights. If the son of a knight is weak, and he tries to knight him anyway, the father would expose himself to ridicule. From the wiki:

Knighthood is seen as primarily a martial position, so even the sons of powerful lords are not necessarily knighted if they are incapable of fulfilling the requirements. Doing otherwise would lose honor rather than gain it, and would make a lord and his family be held up to ridicule, this social pressure generally prevents knights from giving out knighthoods for petty or selfish reasons.[2]

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Knighthood

Davos Seaworth is an example of a short knight, but he was born a peasant and knighted for smart service rather than combat prowess.

It just makes sense to me that Theon would be of average height for a nobleman, and Asha who is slightly shorter than him, can still be considered tall for a woman.

Since a tall woman should at least be around the height of an average nobleman.

To those who say Gregor Clegane can't happen IRL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edouard_Beaupr%C3%A9

Also, Sansa should be taller than most women as she's noted to be "womanly" in appearance and height and that at 14 Lysa's adult clothes couldn't fit her properly.

We have Jaime and Tywin who are both meant to be over 6 ft too.

Stannis is meant to be huge dude compared to Jon Snow, the Baratheons in general seem to be big men.

Then we have the Cleganes, Dunk, Brienne, Left and Right etc. It's hard to say.

Well i agree that knights would usually be taller, but not much more. I mean, height is an advantage, but not the most important thing in a battle. You can be strong, quick and good with the sword and short at the same time.

In the books we have the example of Ser Shadrich the Mad Mouse, who is said to be 5´2 , although we don´t know how capable he is...

The weird thing about the mountain is not that he´s so tall, but his musculature. The tallest and most muscular person i can think of is Shaquille O´Neal, and he is 7´1...

Arvydas Sabonis is 7'3" and a pretty muscular guy - not like Shaq or the Mountain (few people are), but still, a big, strong man who is in proportion and does not suffer from gigantism.

The Mountain is not 8 feet tall, he is said to be "closer to 8 feet than to 7", so he may not be taller than 7'7". It doesn't seem impossible. He may or may not be suffering from some form of gigantism that may be responsible for his migraines.

ETA: According to Wikipedia, the tallest man ever who did not suffer from any form of gigantism was 7'9" tall.

Probably taller than regular north American's based on how Arianne is viewed as short at 5'2 despite the fact that's only about a inch below average.

That or G.R.R.M wasn't aware of the average height.

Most "Tall, but not extraordinarily tall" guys are about 6'2 or 6'3. 6'6 is the "Fearsome combatant height"

Theon being 5 foot 9 would mean Asha would be 5 foot 8, which would fit Victarion's description of her as being "tall for a woman", but she still had to stand on her toes to kiss Victarion (who's probably closer to Sandor's height than to Robert)

I thought he was 5'8? No source, but I thought it fit. Pedro Pascal was apparently 5'11, if that means anything.

I'd push Theon up to 5'11, if only to match him with Bloodraven, just because they were both archer's.

Sandor and Robert have a height difference of about two inches, but I do agree with the assessment that Victarion is probably "Fearsome combatant height" or similar *6'6*

Arvydas Sabonis is 7'3" and a pretty muscular guy - not like Shaq or the Mountain (few people are), but still, a big, strong man who is in proportion and does not suffer from gigantism.

The Mountain is not 8 feet tall, he is said to be "closer to 8 feet than to 7", so he may not be taller than 7'7". It doesn't seem impossible. He may or may not be suffering from some form of gigantism that may be responsible for his migraines.

ETA: According to Wikipedia, the tallest man ever who did not suffer from any form of gigantism was 7'9" tall.

:agree: I usually view him as 7'8, but it is more intimidating to say "Eight-feet tall"

Archived