TTTNE 446: Ships

Buckwheat

Now I imagine a fire spitting flower :lol:

And here we go! :D

:lol:

We aren't talking about the same name then... I suppose

She always fights me.... its just her way to deal with me :idea:

Maybe not. :wacko:

Nah, I do not always fight you! I just ... do not like getting compliments and congratulations when I feel it is not deserved, it is not my achievement. It makes me confused.

Buck, here in the US in customary to tell someday 'congratulations' when they are sharing good news with others. Since you mentioned it, I assumed it was good news to you.

How's this instead: Seriously, they wasted your tuition money just to send you that :o

Oh yes, of course it is good news. But I thought "congratulations" was only said when one achieves something themselves. Upon such news, I would say "good for you" or "that is great news" or whatever.

:lol:

In correct English, yes 'congratulations' is used when one achieves things. However, language is a fluid entity and with the rise of electronic communications 'congrats' is a frequently used term to appreciate the good news of others.

I would not have normally given a flying flip about the film, but I would have paid to go see it just to prove a point. The ironic part is that by them causing a stink, more people will be interested in the film that would of been to start with. Most likely, it would have done OK for a week before it got shunted off to the $ theatres and DVD. The movie was opening up Christmas Day with too many other good films like 'Into the Woods'.

Well, the remake of Annie opened yesterday. The new 'Night at the Museum' with Ben Stiller and Robin Williams also opened yesterday. Earlier this week was the new 'Hobbit' film. 'Into the Woods' with Meryl Streep comes out on the 25th. 'Exodus' was recently released and will still be popular.

With the terrific family options available over the holidays, many with a fanbase already in place, 'The Interview' never would have a stood a chance anyway. It would have popular exclusively with the single adult male crowd.

:lol: I get online and you people never fail to make me smile.

In fact, getting a scholarship at my school does count as an achievement because it is linked to some level of performance. Usually best 50% of the major gets a scholarship. Or there are additional scholarships you can apply for because you are a social awesome person who indulges in extracurricular activities and student organizations. In which case you also did something to achieve your scholarship. The only case when you actually didn't accomplish anything to reward and still get a scholarship is when you apply for social background scholarship because you live very far or have a drunk parent or are a single mom or have very low income etc. So in this aspect, getting scholarship Counts as kind of an achievement at my school. So congratulations isn't that outrageous to say.

Other than that, I always thought it was impressive, great and admirable about Americans that they always give you very positive and encouraging feedback. Even on the smallest of accomplishments, Americans will tell you That's awesome, you're the best, you did amazing! I think it's a very nice thing because positive motivation Works so much better for many people than what we do. We are always like Oh you did that? Aha, cool. Meh. In fact fuck you. (This is of course based on thr limited experience I had with american people - in person not just over the internet.)

Cora, I know your full name as there is a mutual friend between us on FB.. woops, hahahahah. I won't tell anyone though :P

I think only a handful of people know my first name on here, I know Lany does (only she knows my full name cus Secret Santa :P ) and I think I told KTI too, and I might have mentioned it in chat at some point.. I don't care who uses it haha. Nobody ever calls me by my first name anyway, well only a few people :dunce: I rather like it. Shame

I say congrats on any good news, big or small, it's just my way of expressing happiness! I usually just say grats cus I'm lazy as fuck

My "ship" av is finally up. It's Chickee's first attempt at making a ship from scratch back during her Pirates of the Caribbean obsession phase: tooth picks, popsicle sticks, strawberry boxes, thread & glue - and a lot of imagination. My eye glasses are in the background for scale.

For the cat lovers & others sharing pet talk and pictures, Shadows (all 9 kg of him): http://i.imgur.com/QZwEneX.jpg
Sitting in my lap as I type.

Scars:
- got my first one at about 6. "Move", said my little brother. "No" said I. So he chucks the piece of glass he found in the sand pile and hits me in the forehead hard enough to draw copious amounts of blood. Pretty impressive for 3 1/2 y.o.
- rock fight in neighbor's back yard. Bled all over the nice cap my grandad gave me.
- mother ran a stop sign. Nobody wearing seat belts and I was looking right at the car that hit us. 22 stitches in three places in the face.
- wearing shorts squatted down on a hot poker laying on the hearth stone. Got a nice "L" shaped scar on the calf.
- hitting rocks from the driveway toward the brook with a stick that had a bent over nail in it. The stick slipped and the nail ran through the ring and middle fingers of my right hand.
- fishing on a rainy day about a mile from the house. Rod in one hand hook and worm in the other. Slipped and waved right arm wildly to recover balance. Set the hook deeply in the first joint of the ring finger of my left hand. Walked home, Mother drove me to the docs, and the worm was still wriggling on the hook.
- At FjolkeHogSkole in Rauland, Norway, hugged the headmaster's collie while he was on the leash. He took exception and I got puncture scars on my right ear and right hand.
- in the kitchen of a hogfjell's hotel near LilleHammer, Norway cut off the tip of my middle finger on the bread slicer.
- That was pretty much it for scars except for the small one I got in an apple tree cutting down dead branches for my dad. I cut my right wrist (near the vein) on the jagged end of one of them. It was small, but I picked at the scar while it was healing, so it puckered. You can still see it clearly. When I first met Mrs. Chicken she saw it and worried I might be suicidal so she asked my boss about me.

This is my first multi post in a while - first time reading back in ages.

I'm still a bit suspicious about the USA + Cuba thing, couldn't believe it when I saw it in the news last night.

To me the main danger is that the Republican Congress might want to derail the deal, but as long as Obama is in the White House I don't think there's much they can do. By the time they have another president it will be 2017 and relations will be well established.
I hope.

Here is a picture from my our christmas party. I'm the one with the thumbs up

Looks like a pajama party and you're all sitting on the host's bed in a pig pile. :-)

My most visible scar is on my chin. I won it in a battle for the gum in my sister's purse with the family beagle when I was 10. Radar loved gum, but my older brothers had to use lighter fluid and peanut butter to get it off him and he would cry. So I was trying to save him the hassle.

So the beagle wanted the gum so bad he bit you? Was it just an aggressive nip or did he really go at you? :-o

HC...I'm glad to see things have 'normalized', but will that stop refugee attempts?

Good question.
Eventually it will be like any other immigration situation I would think.
Plus there'll be American Cubans going the other way. Lots of American tourists and retirees will be heading to Cuba. With the state of their health care and what I expect will be a strong American dollar vs. the Cuban currency, the big island should be an attractive place to retire. Less danger of getting gunned down by Zetas as American retirees in Mexico are facing.

I still need a movie recommendation.

Theater? Hobbit, right?
Home? Do you have Netflix? I've been enjoying Agents of SHIELD.

I like that quote My feelings exactly. Some of the scars we carry are of the invisible kind though, but I count them too.

And I got a scar on the top back of my head, also covered by hair. I was so happy when the nurse who was going to stitch it together said she didn't have to shave off my hair around it to sew it together! She used my hair around the wound to make stitches somehow, I didn't know they did that.
I felt pretty unlucky to get that wound. I was at a park and some idiot further away, don't know who it was, decided to throw a glass bottle (wine bottle I think it was) into the air and away. It was a good throw, but it landed right on my head and my head started bleeding copiously. My friends were terrified and called an ambulance. It didn't hurt much at all so it wasn't a big deal apart from me looking like I came out of Carrie :lol:

That's awful, but perhaps it would have been worse if you'd been facing the other way. Did the idiot at least come over and apologize or did he run away?

Stop spamming, I cannot keep up ...

I only came home shortly before 10 PM from the dancing lesson, having stood for half an hour waiting for the bus outside. Earlier in the evening, I only managed to get home from that society's meeting (it was actually interesting) to drop one bag and pick up the dancing stuff and eat a piece of bread. So anyway, I came back home hungry, cold, and in need of a shower, and there was nobody at home to turn on the heating, so the first thing I did was to turn it on, and I showered, and I ate something warm, and I feel much better now. What a difference it makes to be full, and warm and clean, and in one's bed! :) It is still not as warm as I would wish it to be, but there is no use keeping the heating on during the night when I am under the covers, so I turned it off and will try to warm the place more tomorrow. And read and work on the things for school.

This sounds familiar. We have our heat set to go down to 11 C at 10 pm each night (and up to 16 C for two hours in the morning). Thank goodness for down comforters!

I have a permanent knot in the back of my head courtesy an abandoned construction site when I was 12. I was pretending to be a Jedi . My mother's lament? 'Can't you sneak makeup like other girls?' :lol:

eta: Hard to believe that was 34 Decembers ago...I remember it like yesterday

I remember lots of construction site war games when I was 9 - 10 - 11. Don't recall getting any scars that way.

It is a good first thing upon getting up to get the letter from the scholarship fund saying that I, indeed, am getting my scholarship this year. In fact, I get the actual money in January, but even getting that answer to the application is great.

Congratulations!! :-)

Seriously, there is nothing to congratulate me for, it is not my achievement that the lazy people at that office decided to send me a letter.
Is it customary in America to congratulate people for what does not need be congratulated upon?

I understand your perspective. I think.
Unfortunately, we 'Murcans see your scholarship as a big deal because of the barbaric system of paying for college that we have here. Our Chickee is your age, as I've mentioned before and in May she'll be graduating with a four year degree in fashion design - and a bunch of debt.
When I went to college it took me 6 years to get my four year degree. My parents didn't pay a cent, and I only had $5,000 in debt when I got out. I had nearly a year before I had to start paying it back and was given 8 years to do so. It wasn't a hardship at all.
Things have really deteriorated in that regard. The financial aid in grants has all but dried up. Kids are getting out of school with debt equal to and greater than the cost of a nice house (ours for example. $200,000 or more). It's crushing. If you can't pay it your credit score will be ruined for years. Credit score determines how much you will pay in interest for a loan for a car or house and whether or not you get a credit card and on and on.
It's a bad situation that a lot of people are shouting about, but it just keeps getting worse.

So that's why we congrtaulate you for your scholarship.

His name is Sam and he is 18 years old now. So I basically let him do whatever he wants.

Congratulations to Sam. 18 in cat years is 88 human years, iirc. Ours are 15.

I am hopeful today will be a good day :)

Hopeful is good. :-) I'm hopeful for you as well.

I love pet spam :wub:

My puppy trumps all. He remembers me :wub: :wub: :wub: He slept on the sofa with me.last night.

ETA: HC monster post :bowdown: :bowdown: I missed reading these.

Scholarships, at least for the Law School at my uni, are awarded on merit basis - you need to apply by doing various essays etc and the funding office looks at...something, I am not too sure. Other funding based on parental.income etc is available in the form of bursaries (which I recently learned I qualify for. Need to contact the funding office when I go back in the New Year though, as they did not pay me yet. I am not sure if I had missef giving them.my bank details before they shut for the holidays.

Films - I would like to see "Into the Woods". Thats about all really.

What is "The Interview"?

I think I heard that JenLaw got a waxwork in Madame Tussauds today btw. I may go one day and take a photo for Rhae ;)

ETAa: My friend who visited in London had bad news. Her Grandma has been rushed into hospital and it doesn't look good :(

My puppy trumps all. He remembers me :wub: :wub: :wub: He slept on the sofa with me.last night.

ETA: HC monster post :bowdown: :bowdown: I missed reading these.

Scholarships, at least for the Law School at my uni, are awarded on merit basis - you need to apply by doing various essays etc and the funding office looks at...something, I am not too sure. Other funding based on parental.income etc is available in the form of bursaries (which I recently learned I qualify for. Need to contact the funding office when I go back in the New Year though, as they did not pay me yet. I am not sure if I had missef giving them.my bank details before they shut for the holidays.

What is "The Interview"?

I think I heard that JenLaw got a waxwork in Madame Tussauds today btw. I may go one day and take a photo for Rhae ;)

ETAa: My friend who visited in London had bad news. Her Grandma has been rushed into hospital and it doesn't look good :(

Aww :lol: is there a theo james or shailene woodly waxwork by any chance? In such case I might after all be able to drag sister to London with me.

Hope your friend's grandma is okay

Still trying to decide whether I should go and see hobbit or not :bawl:

H c, I have no idea how you're able to get all these quotes together, I'd have lost at least the half of them :bowdown:

And I do remember recommending Agents of SHIELD to you a few month ago :D But thanks, I decided to watch stardust. There are some other movies on my list too, but I haven't seen Stardust for such a long time that I might end up hitting the replay button until I fall asleep :rolleyes:

My puppy trumps all. He remembers me He slept on the sofa with me.last night.

ETA: HC monster post I missed reading these.

What is "The Interview"?
I think I heard that JenLaw got a waxwork in Madame Tussauds today btw. I may go one day and take a photo for Rhae

ETAa: My friend who visited in London had bad news. Her Grandma has been rushed into hospital and it doesn't look good

Hooray for the puppy :wub:

Sorry about your friends granny :(

The Interview: apparently, it's a parody about a filmcrew going to North Korea to interview Kim Yong always forget his stupid name. But they're also hired by the CIA to kill Kim Yong something something what's his face again. It's a comedy. Also a not very bright one. People know this because of the Sony hack. The film was put online last week or so, after Kim you know I don't even bother about his name complained about the "vile attack by capitalism", after the movie was online he (Kim you know) also stated the hackers were heroes and did a great deed to the people of North Korea, blah blah, some more stupid fairy tales.

Sony looses money, cinemas refuse to show it because tension, North Korea doesn't get the idea that the movie got more interesting because of the uproar.

And I had to kill emoticon. May their souls rest in peace.

Yeah I've played it! I didn't love it but it was pretty good. Don't know how much help I could be as far as you being lost though lol

I haven't read any walk throughs and most likely won't have time. The whole Tower thing baffles me and leveling up. And when you're on the field there are other players running around? What's that? Granted, I've only played like an hour but I'm feeling pretty :dunce:

Two people here know my name.

That god awful misfortune of being a name :stillsick:

Was your original handle your name? Cause I remember that and it's a great name :)

Some of you guys know my full name, some my first name, but most probably neither. I've been rethinking FB but I have this feeling that once I finally open one then the next big thing will be here and FB will be a thing of the past.

HC monster post :commie: I have missed thee.

Here's something funny and useless .

One of the most if not the most expensive perfumes around the world is made in the UAE , Dubai I believe . It costs around 3 million dirhams which is around 81 thousand dollars or 66 thousand euros .

At any rate , what you do is that you sit with the perfume maker who has a degree in psychology and a bunch of other shit , for a month or more and tell them your life story and feelings and all . And then he'd create something singular like no other to match it .

I swear if I tried that he'd probably just give some dettol ...

H c, I have no idea how you're able to get all these quotes together, I'd have lost at least the half of them

And I do remember recommending Agents of SHIELD to you a few month ago :D But thanks, I decided to watch stardust. There are some other movies on my list too, but I haven't seen Stardust for such a long time that I might end up hitting the replay button until I fall asleep :rolleyes:

Hooray for the puppy :wub:

Sorry about your friends granny :(

The Interview: apparently, it's a parody about a filmcrew going to North Korea to interview Kim Yong always forget his stupid name. But they're also hired by the CIA to kill Kim Yong something something what's his face again. It's a comedy. Also a not very bright one. People know this because of the Sony hack. The film was put online last week or so, after Kim you know I don't even bother about his name complained about the "vile attack by capitalism", after the movie was online he (Kim you know) also stated the hackers were heroes and did a great deed to the people of North Korea, blah blah, some more stupid fairy tales.

Sony looses money, cinemas refuse to show it because tension, North Korea doesn't get the idea that the movie got more interesting because of the uproar.

And I had to kill emoticon. May their souls rest in peace.

You. I like your taste in films. 'Tis gooood.

My friends Granny has Alzhemiers. She has been getting worse all year so this is not a huge surprise. Sad all the same though, especially given the time of year :(

I am sure the Interview would appeal to some, but not me.

Agree about HC's posts :bowdown:

Taters - Thanks for that interesting fact! I like knowing that. And I am sure you would get something more than Dettol :grouphug: Maybe a strong scent that is bold yet sweet, but also sophisticated...maybe? :dunno:

ETA: I have not actually been to Madame Tussauds Rhae :dunno: But you should still go to London with your sister

then meet up with me instead...:leaving:

I finally got my laptop back from the laptop repair people! :commie: Brand new hard drive. The screen keeps flickering in parts though, which is slightly worrying. And the technicians didn't re-clip the casing, grrr. I think they may have damaged the wiring that runs through the hinge or something, but at least I've got a working computer again.

Adara! Your cat is also adorable. I condone the cat spam

I love pet spam :wub:

:agree: Yes, we need more cat spam. :laugh:

Archived