Who do you support now?

The Blue Knight

If the OP's list is intended to include those actively vying at the end of ADwD, it should probably include Littlefinger.

I don't think so. Littlefinger is slowly creeping his way up to the top to be some kind of proxy king, like Tywin (king in everything but name). But I think he's moving too slowly.

The Vale still mistrusts him, and the lords in the Riverlands are all exhausted from war, except for the Frey's who are probably competing with LF for the Riverlands anyway. Therefore, LF has no viable army.

LF won't be able to work himself high enough before Aegon/Faegon, Dany, Stannis, the Others, and who the hell knows what else crash down upon Westeros.

I support a marriage between either Stannis and Daenerys, or Daenerys and Edric Storm.

S+D:

This is the less likely of the two, as Stannis is already married and their is something of an age difference between the two, but:

Stannis' wife has not given him male heirs, a common reason for divorce in feudal societies and it is when has age difference deterred marriages in Westeros. Stannis gets a potentially fertile young wife and the legitimacy of marrying the last Targaryen, provided Young Griff is a fake. This could help Stannis with his campaign, since several lords still remember the Targaryens; Ryger, Mooton, Rykker, Martel, etc.

Daenerys gets the benefit of Stannis' command ability and his knowledge of Westerosi customs etc., Though a cold man, he is righteous in his own way, and Daenerys wants her kingdom to be lawful and safe.

D+ES:

I find this to be more likely for several reasons, the most obvious is logistics since Edric is now somewhere in Essos, closer than Stannis.

Edric is an acknowledged natural child and potential heir to Robert. He gains a wife and a chance at the throne.

Daenerys gains added legitimacy through Robert's child and could keep the Targaryen name, helping smallfolk recognize her.She might even be able to treat with Stannis and convince him to take Storm's End as his right.

Stannis, not just because I like him which I do. But he's got a lot of the characters I like entangled with his Fate, Jon and Davos mostly.( I know Jon and to a lesser extent Davos don't need him to succeed to be okay but they'd probably be safer) I'll admit it doesn't bode well for jaime but I feel.like he'll probably die anyway. And sansa probably has little to fear from him. He's also a just king, the mannis etc etc

Order from best to worst:

Stannis: He's good, so long as he's got Davos advising him.

Tommen: Seems to be a good kid, will grow up into a good king, so long as Cersei is gone.

Dany: She'd be as bad as Ned at politics, and doesn't have Ned's patience or experience. Should be OK w/Tyrion, though.

Aegon: He's an unknown quantity, and I don't trust Varys.

Euron: Guy's unreliable, possibly a sociopath.

I agree that those candidates would possibly be better rulers than the ones I listed, but none of them have any ambitions to rule. I just can't see Jon or Sansa wanting to rule the Seven Kingdoms or even the North. Shireen, I think, would be immedietaley unpopular with the Smallfolk and nobles, since she is a cripple. However, you are right that if Stannis were to die Shireen would need to be added to the list I made.

Jon would want to unit the realm to face the true threat. If(when :frown5: ) Stannis dies, he might head Stannis's assembled forces of Northerners, Stannis Stormlanders, Asha Iron Born(?), Wildlings, and Iron Bank bought forces. If he heads it directly, it could be under his claim. (Indirectly, essentially means he wins it for Shireen as a regent figure).

Sansa would mostly be if LF truly does try to sit the thrown with his scheming, and she back stabs him. She would mostly likely be pivotal in the plan, likely as a bride/widowed queen.

I would emphatically support Daenerys, shes like Jesus meets Liam Neeson from Taken if the Throne were her daughter.

I mean, with a heaping portion of teenage girl thrown in yeah, but nonetheless the best ruler of the candidates:

Her character-shes fighting instituitionalized slavery in the Worlds of Ice and Fire, thats fucking righteous! I bet this will have incredibly wide ranging effects on trade as the 'free labor bubble' bursts and the markets correct themselves by contracting. The easy thing is to leave a champion of the objectively good fight for freedom/self-determination. Instead she is fully invested in the matterrs at hand. She takes counsel and advice well for someone her age, and has the courage to stand where she feels strongly. That also makes her

a good leader-She fulfills her duties to her followers. She has done enough good for the victims of slavery in their struggle for freedom, she dl Calls to flee/give up/retreat have been dismissed in favor of doing the best for her people. Lead by example. I love the quote

"Man wants to be the king o' the rabbits, he best wear a pair o' floppy ears."

She wades into the complications of freedmen, dealing with a case involving trade unions and subcontracting.

Her Titles Seriously give it some thought, power lies where men believe it does. She has a claim to a dynasty that ruled for generations, a dynasty thats starting point forms the dating used in Westeros. She comes in with dragons ala Aegon and someone is better suited to keep the realm in line? Not even. Daenerys Stormborne of House Targaryen. Mother of Dragons and breaker of chains. That is so badass.

She adds legitimacy/authenticity to Westeros as a whole by pushing a democratic/merit based organization style, bearing in mind her delegation of responsibilites to Grey Worm and Barristans among other examples.

Adversity. she has been through a lot, and shown perserverence. She made it to where she started the series, no small task when the Beggar King uses you as property. She takes being sold off to Drogo in stride and turns it in her favor. The Red Waste ordeal was well handled in my opinion. She goes on to Qarth and comes out alive with her dragons. The Meereenese Knot debacle has a lot of very complex politics in play. She is handling her role in many affairs rather well, though she can be too fickle in rulings sometimes.

Nobody is perfect.

Can't deny her Swagga stuck on fleek, yo!

Who was that ingrate again, MMD? Fire and Blood get rekt. Sorry for crown bro couldn't deal with your shit anymore. Wise to be skeptical of Illyrio, which she was at the beginning. Nailing those slavers up, too. Shes kind of a populist, you can expect the majority of people to be better off with her. Thats whats up. Everyone loves an underdog, and consensus seems to either she dies or IT dissolves. Everyone also loves comebacks, fact. Her rule would also symbolize incredible progress for gender equality and social/economic mobility. She was gifted an enormous power in her dragons, and she has protected them through their most vulnerable years. Good job Dany!

She doesn't content herself with ruling over people through fear/control, she believes in her people. Vote Daenerys 2016.

In this order:

Aegon Targaryen/Blackfyre (he seems like he would make a good King and I doubt Varys would go to such lengths for a lost cause)

Stannis Baratheon (he's a bit too just, otherwise he would be a great King)

Daenerys Targaryen (she needs good advisors around her and she needs to learn how to control her anger)/Tommen Baratheon (too young and naive, but has potential)

Split up Westeros (this is a bad idea in the long run because it would lead to wars)

Euron Greyjoy (only if you want chaos)

I don't think so. Littlefinger is slowly creeping his way up to the top to be some kind of proxy king, like Tywin (king in everything but name). But I think he's moving too slowly.

The Vale still mistrusts him, and the lords in the Riverlands are all exhausted from war, except for the Frey's who are probably competing with LF for the Riverlands anyway. Therefore, LF has no viable army.

LF won't be able to work himself high enough before Aegon/Faegon, Dany, Stannis, the Others, and who the hell knows what else crash down upon Westeros.

And we do not know if Littlefinger has any kind of plan for Aegon. It seemed like Littlefinger and Varys always countered each other but did Littlefinger know about Aegon and if he had a plan to counter him. I doubt LF knew about Aegon ahead of time though and will totally throw off any plans LF had at being the "shadow king" behind Sansa or Harry, or whoever he had in mind.

Honestly, I support Cersei and Tommen. I just want Cersei to learn some things first. I want her to stop sleeping around and find a good man she loves and can be with. If that is her brother Jaime, then fine. If not, make up her mind. I want her to realize that flatterers and fools are not good leaders (which I think she knows now anyway, after having found them all so useless in helping her out when the Faith took her). And then she actually builds a Small Council that can do things!

I just think Cersei deserves to sit the Iron Throne because she wants it the most and I think she is beautiful besides. Also she is very ambitious and I like that.

Honestly, I support Cersei and Tommen. I just want Cersei to learn some things first. I want her to stop sleeping around and find a good man she loves and can be with. If that is her brother Jaime, then fine. If not, make up her mind. I want her to realize that flatterers and fools are not good leaders (which I think she knows now anyway, after having found them all so useless in helping her out when the Faith took her). And then she actually builds a Small Council that can do things!

I just think Cersei deserves to sit the Iron Throne because she wants it the most and I think she is beautiful besides. Also she is very ambitious and I like that.

So let us believe in a redeeming aspect for her? Considering where we left her that is unlikely. Where we leave her in ADWD shows her visually subservient to those that arranged her walk, but she exults to herself the idea of vengeance against all her enemies. Before she was shown to be vindictive against and bloody against those she hated (recall that it was her who ordered the deaths of Roberts bastards) and now her list has increased since the walk. She deserved to be tried for the crimes that she was responsible for, and her rule was corrupt and disastrous, and not the punishment she received which was a slamming of her gender.

As to the OP, my care-o-meter for who gets to sit on a spiky chair is not really functioning at the moment. Cases can be made for several to be kings and cases can be made against the others for obvious reasons. The only thing I would want to see is the end of the Lannister rule considering how much of a disaster it has been.

On the others:

I love how many people like Tommen as an option based solely on his malleability. I can't see him growing up into anything good, given his disposition and upbringing. The scene with Him, Cersei, and Jaime at the funeral comes to mind. Poor kid. He just seems too ripe for manipulation and degeneration.

Aegon needs to do more. I can't fault his supporters for believing in him given what we know, but I need more from/about him to feel familiar enough supporting him.

Stannis used to be my dude. The more I read, the less I loved him as a leader. Hate how much he takes Davos for granted, such an earnest/good guy. Its a huge folly, this whole AAR tomfoolery. He has taken The Red God to use it and Melisandre for personal gain, thus robbing Westeros of the The Mannis. He should have held the 7 as his Gods in public and held his tongue in private, the man has no love for religion. 'Cart before the horse' kinda guy, to paraphrase a quote from a quality thread in the reread section. Point is, he gave up himself and his friend for his desire. Not cool.

Archived