The worst thing you've ever read.

peterbound

I'm so pleased you've read every other YA book to make such a dismissive generalisation

If you can show me that's not the overall trend, I'll take it back. But nearly every damn book that does come out follows this paterrn and there's no denying that

I have actually read these pieces of shit so here you go

That Divergent shit, that shit about child military police, that shit about the kid with electricity powers, that shit where all the adults disapper , that clockwork shit, that roman and greek demigods shit, that shit about undergruond society of monster hunters, that shit about fairytales in real life, the twilight with zombies, twilight with aliens, witches and werewolves. Oh and that shit were arranged child marriage is the norm until one gndl decides to hang out with a bad boy.

are there any YA books that do not feature an adolescent protagonist whose mission is to save the world while remaining a virgin?

On the Wings of a Falcon, by Cynthia Voight.

Protagonist spends a winter boning his lover in a mountain cabin while his best friend listens from the other room. Then protagonist tries to bone the princess. Tragedy ensues.

I second the Dresden files. The first five are decent, but after this there is absolutely no character development, magic consistency, and the dialogue actually gets worse and more unbelievable. I think they are up to 13 or 14 now. AS for the wheel of time, I stand by the first half of the series. Not as subtle or nuanced as ASOIAF, WOT still has a very interesting world/history/backstory, but the writing can be repetitive and a little hokey, and the plot definitely gets long winded and overly complex, and he dies before he can finish it. Brandon Sanderson ended up finishing the series and it was one of the worst things I have ever attempted to read. Dont know if BS original material is decent, and I doubt I ever will know as Ill never get the bad taste out of my mouth.

"The Night Angel Trilogy" by Brent Weeks is probably the worst thing in Fantasy I've ever read. I didn't even make half-way through. I'm going to give an honorable mention to Brandon Sanderson's "The Stormlight Archive". Look, I know the guy has legions of fans and I'm sure many of them reside here, but I just can't wrap my head around what readers see in him. Now, I should pause and state that I've only read "The Way of Kings" and "Words of Radiance" by him, so perhaps his other work is better. I get that he creates original magic systems and is focused on world-building, but everything else, such as his characters and overall writing ability seem so average to me.

To each their own.

Peace

Thank fuck ive not read very many bad books but i really do love to get indignant and rant every now and again (not insulting anyone here im being genuine) so im kinda morbidly curious to read some of these lol. At least i found 50 shades unintentionally hilarious

You have, however, watched blade runner. I'm willing to extend this thread to include the worst thing you've ever seen. At least in your case.

Haha, well this thread has gone totally off the rails.

Let's see:

Dresden: I actually don't hate these as much as it comes across, but my god, the fans of these can be....intense when I say I don't like them. Read 3 or 4, didn't find the humor humorous, want the main character to die. So, maybe I do hate them as much as I come across, but it's certainly not the wrost thing I've ever read.

Blade Runner: I dunno, when i was a wee lad(read: high school) and I saw the theatrical cut for the first time I hated it. It's one of those movies that's often advertised/presented as an action film when it is anything but. I mean, now it's one of my favorites, and my God, the restoration on the Blu Ray, and the directors cut, which is sooo much better, but is someone just kinda sat down and watched the the theatrical cut without knowing what they were getting into, I can see how one may not like it. If you don't like the final cut though you suck!

YA: Dude, you read A LOT of YA for some one who hates YA so much. (Talking about MRRG here). Also half of those books you mentioned don't even fit the model you're bitching about, and, well, if YA is all about teens trying to save the world, what the fuck is SF then? Old bitter men trying to not save the world because GRIMDARK? You need to expand your horizons.

Ahem, back to the spirit of the OP, one book I tried and tried and TRIED to finish but absolutely could not was Chadwicks The Scarlet Lion. The first book wasw OK, and this book is lauded as one of the best historical novels ever written, and made some top 10 list by the "Historical Novel Society" (which list I have never been able to find, and whose uh, opinions seem to be awful) but my God I could not finish this piece of garbage. The whole thing read like some Victorian era revisionist history book, with noble knights and chivalry and all that made up shit. I know William Marshell was one of the major exceptions but my god, Kvothe has more characters flaws. And EVERY FUCKING PARAGRAPH ended with some sort of terrible metaphor. It was like something a 7th grader would write for English class after learning what a metaphor is. In fact that sentence I just typed, image every fucking paragraph ending with something like that. And he something to the something like a something. GAH. Rant over.

Archived