Who is Coldhands?

teemo

Crackpot theory Time, please be gentle with me.

I think that Coldhands is a skinchanger who warged into an animal before he died, then warged back into his body after it was raised as a wight. And why did Geaore RR Martin make this character? So there is a precedent for it when Jon does it in the winds of winter, Boom, drops the mike.

(Then runs away before someone picks it up and explains why this is not possible)

Coldhands = Brandon the builder = the last hero = the Night's King. Take a look at the early northern wars from the World book, you can see where the Starks picked up warging and the blood of the First king along with a curse on the undead. He was with the Others then switched sides and went with the children, he used both magics to create the wall.

Coldhands = Brandon the builder = the last hero = the Night's King. Take a look at the early northern wars from the World book, you can see where the Starks picked up warging and the blood of the First king along with a curse on the undead. He was with the Others then switched sides and went with the children, he used both magics to create the wall.

:uhoh: (Subtly abandons own theory and adopts this one.)

Here, Here!

If I knew the answers to all of these questions and theories I would not be so anxiously awaiting the release of the rest of the series! Coldhands is a wight that used to be in the Night's Watch.

I haven't read the World of Ice & Fire yet, although I did just buy it. Thanks for that spoiler alert.

Crackpot theory Time, please be gentle with me.

I think that Coldhands is a skinchanger who warged into an animal before he died, then warged back into his body after it was raised as a wight. And why did Geaore RR Martin make this character? So there is a precedent for it when Jon does it in the winds of winter, Boom, drops the mike.

(Then runs away before someone picks it up and explains why this is not possible)

I don't think that's crackpot at all, in fact I really hope that's true.

My Theory

Coldhands is probably not a major missing character but rather just a member of the Night's Watch that went Ranging with Brynden Rivers in 252AC. He died protecting his Lord Commander and Brynden survived by Coldhands' sacrifice and by reaching the cave where he now resides...now, the dead ranger is a Thrall of Bloodraven...similar to the Wights. I do believe Coldhands is a wight similar to the ones controlled by the Others, but since the Others do not speak the common tongue, the wights who were formally men cannot communicate; whereas Coldhands can. It is my belief that when Coldhands speaks, it is Brynden Rivers speaking through Coldhands.

The Others have the bright blue eyes and all the dangerous Wights have Bright Blue Eyes...I think that is a sign that their body is being controlled by something else (The Others). My guess is The Others are few in number but possess the power to control dead beings and they use them for their army or travel needs (horses and the like).

Brynden Rivers "Bloodraven" commanded The Raven's Teeth, a company of longbowmen, many of which took the black with Bloodraven, IIRC. Remember all those Ravens who protected Coldhands when he saved Sam (symbolism), and then continue to travel with them?

Plus Leaf said they killed him long ago. That duration is relative but I don't think 2-3 years can be considered long ago by a CotF.

Leaf says she has seen 200 years while we know Brynden Rivers is 125. When compared to the age of the wall, they are close in age. Compared to the age of Bran, the age difference is huge. Everything is relative.

But in my opinion, when Leaf says Long Ago regarding when 'they' killed Coldhands, I interpret that as longer than 2-3 years ago, which would eliminate Benjen Stark as Coldhands.

We do not know enough about the Night's King to know what is downfall was or if he just retreated. I have a hard time grasping the notion that the Night's King went from being 'king' to roaming the lands beyond the wall for eternity then helping out another former Lord Commander.

Agree completely. I posted in some other Dead?Jon thread that Jon will return as the new Coldhands via this exact scenario - he wargs into Ghost, his body rises in the ice cells (because no one thought to bind their LC with iron shackles first), and he then wargs back into his own wighted corpse.

Redwyn is a good candidate for Coldhands, or possibly some ancient Stark that served at the Wall (which would account for the warging capability).

Not Benjen.

But I think Benjen is alive and has been saved by CH. He will return later to provide explanations about what really happened with Lyanna in the time of Robert rebellion.

Who is CH is not important. Probably Redwyn or some BR companion, a ranger long dead. But I would like to know how he came to that.

Archived