School children killed in Pakistan

DJDonegal

According to Al Jazeera the Taliban in Pakistan have claimed that they carried out the attacks as revenge for the armies killing of their families and such. They also claim to have ordered the smaller children let go but the older ones killed.

This will certainly galvanize the public against the Taliban I think.

You would certainly hope so.

I've heard some reports that children as young as 2 have been killed, but I'm not going to push that point as there'll be a lot coming out at the moment that may prove to be untrue. The point that is irrefutable is that they purposely went into a school, with weapons, and began firing at innocent minors.

That's completely unforgivable and at a time when I didn't think it was possible the Taliban have managed to plumb new depths in their pointless war.

What troubles me a lot about events in Pakistan is how little they seem to be reported, at least in the news around here. Considering I live <5000km away from there (as the missile flies) I'd expect to be getting much more news about it than, say, Sydney Australia. In no way am I trying to marginalize the importance of the Sydney hostage crisis, however, 120+ children is a tragedy on a far greater scale and happening in a much closer proximity. And it's not just that particular case, it's news from that country and even region in general, that gets little coverage here. Nothing was mentioned about the year-long mass protests.

I agree Solomyr. However, I think the lack of news stems from the fact that there is purportedly continuing gunfire between the Pakistani Army and the Taliban. They may not be letting the media in yet for safety purposes.

What troubles me a lot about events in Pakistan is how little they seem to be reported, at least in the news around here. Considering I live <5000km away from there (as the missile flies) I'd expect to be getting much more news about it than, say, Sydney Australia. In no way am I trying to marginalize the importance of the Sydney hostage crisis, however, 120+ children is a tragedy on a far greater scale and happening in a much closer proximity. And it's not just that particular case, it's news from that country and even region in general, that gets little coverage here. Nothing was mentioned about the year-long mass protests.

Sydney hasn't made international news for anything until the hostage crisis either.

That's the way it goes with international news.

Pakistan's main problem is selectivism in their counter-terror operations. International terrorists hold massive rallies advocating crimes against "enemies" in Lahore in broad daylight, yet Rawalpindi carries out eye-wash Operations in NW taking out anti pakistan militants then calling the seperatists 'Taliban'. Every once in a while a few foot soldiers become bullet fodder too to appease America

I agree Solomyr. However, I think the lack of news stems from the fact that there is purportedly continuing gunfire between the Pakistani Army and the Taliban. They may not be letting the media in yet for safety purposes.

Certainly I would not expect the same media coverage in Sydney as I would in a war zone (or close enough to one). However, it can at least be reported what is going on there, e.g. X is fighting Y, death toll is #X and #Y, attempts at ceasefire failed early yesterday, military marshals 5,000 extra troops to the region. This kind of news can be reported without boots on the ground.

Sydney hasn't made international news for anything until the hostage crisis either.

That's the way it goes with international news.

I have no problem with far-away countries not making international news for events that do not matter on an international scale. What bothers me is that somebody decides that 120 dead children <5000km away matters less than a few people on the other side of the world. Also mass protests for over a year have made international news for most other countries in the world - not Pakistan.

How can the Taliban think delberately targeting and the. killing a bunch of little kids isn't going to provoke a huge reaction from their opponents? Do they really think anyone would see their actions as "just" or "proper" or is this an effort to provoke just the kind of reaction everyone would suspect?

Scot,

They are operating under the belief that they are acting in retaliation to attacks on their own families following a large operation into their territory throughout this year.

This will appease their hard-line followers that what they're doing is ultimately just but I can't see it appealing to anyone who might have been susceptible to falling under their sway, and I hope that it causes many internally to question the continuing motives of the Taliban and what they are trying to achieve.

With no reference to historical fact whatsoever, I'm sure that it's often the case that volatile groups such as this tend to implode from the inside rather than capitulating to pressure from the outside. At the very most it's a mixture of the two, and hopefully this is the catalyst in the fall of the Taliban regime within the area.

How can the Taliban think delberately targeting and the. killing a bunch of little kids isn't going to provoke a huge reaction from their opponents? Do they really think anyone would see their actions as "just" or "proper" or is this an effort to provoke just the kind of reaction everyone would suspect?

Militant strikes are often motivated by the desire to get their 'message across' which is just to garner publicity. When the militants know that their mission is one where sympathy from third players against enemy State is not to be recieved, they purposely seek bad publicity to scare potential external interference on behalf of the State to ensure the State too does not recieve a third player assistance in their operations. This one was primarily done to show that the Taliban will got to any limits to secure their objectives.

How many hours/days of torture of such a person does it take to bring back one of those children from the dead?

Why even bother engaging him in debate? He's got bricks for brains. People in developed countries who are unaware of how violence and cynicism breeds more of the same are little better than these Taliban assholes.

Why even bother engaging him in debate? He's got bricks for brains. People in developed countries who are unaware of how violence and cynicism breeds more of the same are little better than these Taliban assholes.

Fun fact : At one point the developed nation you talk about looked at sympathetically at The Taliban. ' Freedom fighters' I guess they were seen as

Archived