SyFy - Ascension - SPOILERS if you want...

Jaxom 1974

My wife and I watched it. It has problems but we were caught up enough in it that we didn't see the big twist coming. To my wife's irritation, I kept referring to the psychic young girl as "Little River Tam".

And what the kind of deal did Tricia Helfer make with Crowley? She looks like she walked right off the set of BSG, not aging a day.

I watched it. I will DVR the other two parts and watch them at some point this week. It was OK.

And because someone below this post complained, spoilers within spoilers.

The twist caught me a little by surprise, but I was beginning to have suspicions before it happened.

After all, the twist explains a few things...

It wouldn't make sense to send colonists to Proxima Centauri without knowing for sure whether or not there is even a planet there. We don't know that now, let alone in 1968. And even if the U.S. had the resources in the 60s to build a starship of that size and scope, and ensure the survival of so many people for an entire century, creating artificial gravity for that ship that's pretty much similar to Earth's gravity would be a monumental achievement.

Now I get why the people on board, other than depressed teenagers, wouldn't question whether or not the planet they're going to even exists, but nobody seems to question the presence of artificial gravity.

That will teach you not to click on a thread for a movie/show you haven't seen yet.

Board policy is pretty clear on this. No spoilers unless [spoilerS] have clearly been indicated in the thread title. It's not that hard.

From what I've read, they leave an opening at the end of the third episode for going to a series. But we really won't know what that is, and how plausible it is, until that episode airs.

Man, on a cruise like that they're lucky nobody's created a compass for novelty's sake. I mean there are guides in basic school text books and random adventure novels. It takes what, 5 minutes? Would be a cool way to see things going bad for the big conspiracy, heh.

I quite enjoyed the pilot.

Saw episode 1 tonight. What a load of shit.

I fear for The Expanse. These fuckers are going to ruin it.

I fear that if this one has high enough ratings, they will turn it into a series, and scrap the much more expensive Expanse. Actually I don't really fear, if it happens, I will just go back to not watching SyFy.

Saw episode 1 tonight. What a load of shit.

I fear for The Expanse. These fuckers are going to ruin it.

I hated it too. I didn't watch any of the trailers or any other promotional stuff, all I knew was that this was supposed to be a generation ship science fiction show. What I watched was a mashup of a nighttime soap and crime procedural. There's no way this becomes popular enough to make it past this initial miniseries, so I wouldn't worry about it pushing anything else off the schedule. Do worry about whoever it is that's responsible for making this getting near any other potential scifi shows in the future though.

Second episode was worse than the first, imo.

Still, since I'm 2/3 in, might as well finish it. Based on what I saw in ep. 2, I predict a couple more twists:

The conspiracy lady that is helping the investigator is in fact working for the head scientist. They made a big deal about the investigator being a lesbian, so I'm thinking the two will get friendly.

This whole experiment has less to do with determining whether or not it is viable to send a large group of people on a century long journey in space, and more with achieving human evolution. The name "Ascension" would be more apt for a human evolution project than a project dealing with interstellar travelling. And the geniuses who made this show probably got the idea from Stargate SG-1.

Corvinus, those same thoughts occurred to me.

I think that at this point, Tricia Helfer's ass should get its own credit. I've got nothing against a good bare butt but sheesh, the gratuitous nature of the nudity on this show is just clueless.

Corvinus, those same thoughts occurred to me.

I think that at this point, Tricia Helfer's ass should get its own credit. I've got nothing against a good bare butt but sheesh, the gratuitous nature of the nudity on this show is just clueless.

4 hours and 3 ass shots. Is that really that gratuitous?

Archived