Hobbit movie discussion (incl merged Hobbit text deviation thread)

baxus

from the previous thread:

A moose once bit my sister....

so this time... it's personal! (in that deep movie-trailer voice)

its called character development filler! :drunk:

there, i fixed that for you ;)

Don't know if this was mentioned in the other thread but I feel really sorry for Ian Mckellan in this article - especially considering how much he loved being a part of LOTRs. Another curse of 3D and one where I think it would have almost justified abandoning if Mckellan had quit over it.

With regards to the film - I'll be watching it as soon as I can get a ticket booked. However there's no great expectations this time around - I'm mentally prepared for it being overly long with childish humour but that's fine as long as there's still some action and epic-y-ness.

I bought the extended edition of part one, and while I haven't re-watched the movie yet, I have watched all the special features.

They do cover Sir Ian's breakdown when he was forced to sit in a green room acting to nothing (while the other 14 guys were on the other side of the studio). You can see he was having a very hard time with it. Heartbreaking, really. But I think it was mainly the scenes in Bag's End that were so torturous.

One benefit of watching the special features is now I feel like I know all 13 dwarves, not just Thorin, Kili, Fili, and Balin. And Bomobur. Seeing the actors work through their individual roles and the designers building the characters through costume and make-up was pretty cool.

Granted, you shouldn't have to sit through 4 hours of special features to get the individuality of the characters, but I think my next viewing of the movie will be improved because of it.

I saw the first of the Hobbit trilogy. I do not intend to see the other two. I suffered through a trailer tonight.

I am sure this has been hashed to death elsewhere on this board....Three movies to cover LOTR. And three movies to cover The Hobbit?

Ridiculou$

I think the whole Hobbit would have been well fitted in one movie. What's the point in making the story longer than it is...?

Would've been cool if everything had been the same as in the book, since it would not be a problem to fit it all in!

I actually enjoyed the first Hobbit film. I liked seeing the Dwarves in their glory when the Mountain was still theirs, mining their gems. I enjoyed seeing Gandalf again and Sméagol/Gollum. The "Riddles in the dark" scenes were well-played, I thought. I thought PJ **almost** redeemed the great insult to the Dwarf race by the character of Thorin Oakenshield (although, sometimes he was a bit too unrelentingly dour.) .

In short, if you forget the book ever existed, you could enjoy this movie on some level.

Don't know if this was mentioned in the other thread but I feel really sorry for Ian Mckellan in this article - especially considering how much he loved being a part of LOTRs. Another curse of 3D and one where I think it would have almost justified abandoning if Mckellan had quit over it.

With regards to the film - I'll be watching it as soon as I can get a ticket booked. However there's no great expectations this time around - I'm mentally prepared for it being overly long with childish humour but that's fine as long as there's still some action and epic-y-ness.

Thats pretty heartwrenching as his acting preformance is one of my favorite things about these movies.

I actually enjoyed the first Hobbit film. I liked seeing the Dwarves in their glory when the Mountain was still theirs, mining their gems. I enjoyed seeing Gandalf again and Sméagol/Gollum. The "Riddles in the dark" scenes were well-played, I thought. I thought PJ **almost** redeemed the great insult to the Dwarf race by the character of Thorin Oakenshield (although, sometimes he was a bit too unrelentingly dour.) .

In short, if you forget the book ever existed, you could enjoy this movie on some level.

Yeah Thorin did seem too dour. I know he had some misgivings about Bilbo in the book, but i feel as if PJ has magnified them a 100 fold. What did you link lead to? Its not working for me.

This is horrible. I kind of wish I hadn't read it, because now when I see Gandalf in the next few films I'll just be thinking ''He's hating this...''.

I'm more than happy for 3D to go out of the window if it meant Ian was happier.

As much as I enjoy these films, I kind of wish they'd taken a more accurate approach to it. The stone giant scene from the first could have cut in half, time- and budget- wise and still been better

It made me sad as well because he's such a nice guy and clearly loves the part. Thing is he's such a great actor you can't pick it up at all. I'll definitely be paying close attention during the scenes he shares with dwarves and hobbits in the next film and feel a little bad. I'll feel better when some elves join the team as then he'll at least have some company.

It made me sad as well because he's such a nice guy and clearly loves the part. Thing is he's such a great actor you can't pick it up at all. I'll definitely be paying close attention during the scenes he shares with dwarves and hobbits in the next film and feel a little bad. I'll feel better when some elves join the team as then he'll at least have some company.

Although based on stuff we have seen so far, Gandalf will spend a lot of screen time with Radagast during the next movie. Potentially there is some time for him with the White Council/Elven forces, depending on whether the assault on Dol Guldur is in this one or not.

Yet another reason to say boo to 3D. Sadly it seems to be here to stay. Though I think I read a report saying the 3D proportion of ticket sales for Thor the Dark world were substantially down compared to the other Avengers franchise movies. So perhaps 3D will fade back into obscurity in a few years. Hopefully Avatar 2 will be a flop and not resurrect this format.

I'm hoping that the orcs at the battle of the five armies will be more guys in prosthetics like the Orcs in Moria in fellowship rather than the cgi bunch in Azogs band. For me the latter just don't have the same impact

Was it just me or has the CGI in the hobbit felt a lot faker than it did in LotR? What gives?

I think we have such great expectations of CGI now. And the Hobbit, which I loved all those years ago, is now boring to read. But not LotR. There is not enough story, so it is almost a cartoon of itself. The rollercoaster ride through the Gobllins cave? Every scene is so long we have time to really look at the CGI.

And you are right, it is much more obvious. The only thing I can think of, is that there was so much squabbling and dropping of the ball on The Hobbit, PJ may be a bit sick of it.

Archived