Hobbit movie discussion (incl merged Hobbit text deviation thread)

baxus

I understand why they might want to show Azog in full cgi - as a contrast to all the malshaped and deformed orcs we've seen in the past but at least a few of his men past that one that got thrown to the wargs wearing actual costumes would be nice. As a side note I saw a picture of Bolg who is the Mountain wearing prosthetic and he looks far more intimidating than any of the cgi guys

So the Battle of the Five Armies is happening in the 3rd film so is Desolation going to end on the death of Smaug or does anyone think it will go on longer than that?

The second film will not cover that much ground, from the most recent info. It seems that it does not end with Smaug's death.

It's unclear if he may attack Lake-Town in this film. But it seems very likely that he will survive into film 3.

So again, Jackson saves up the big confrontations for the last film. It seems like they are trying to do more with the " Suaron could use Smaug to terrible effect " angle, and makes this film trilogy more about there being all-out war, with Smaug doing his thing possibly as late as the Battle of Five Armies.

Don't know if this was mentioned in the other thread but I feel really sorry for Ian Mckellan in this article - especially considering how much he loved being a part of LOTRs. Another curse of 3D and one where I think it would have almost justified abandoning if Mckellan had quit over it.

The only positive thing that I can think of in relation to this is that LOTR will never be converted to 3D, because then people will see the actors' real positions in front of the camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved LOTR, but I was bitterly disappointed by the Hobbit. The film had maybe two or three genuinely good scenes, the best of which was easily the Riddles in the Dark. The rest of the film felt like a kiddy movie: the action scenes felt like rollercoaster rides where nothing was really at stake and the CGI was gratuitous.

Will not waste my money on the sequel.

I'm actually going to the midnight premiere this Thursday night. I'm doing a line party again, which I did last year and swore I'd never do again. I guess I can't pass up a geek-fest line party.

As for Hobbit part 1, I was very disappointed too. I wasn't sure if it was because I was so tired, or the fast-frame rate combined with the 3-D hurt my eyes, or it was just too much CGI. I haven't even bothered to rewatch it yet, which is saying much since I've watched the LOTR trilogy dozens of times.

I'm glad to hear that Hobbit part 2 is getting better reviews than part 1 though.

Archived