Sansa: The Unreliable Narrator

There were theories (although I don't agree with them) that she knowing poisoned Joff and was sort of blocking it out. When she was brushing her hair her hands were all numb some are suggesting that she is suffering the effects of prying the poisonus gems out of her jewelry. She could be a little less innocent then people think she is when it comes to playing the game. Although the game she is playing is for her survival first and foremost. I do think when the time presents itself she will suprise a lot of people with a plan that we didn't see coming.

Our own memories are imperfect, especially in times of stress (Ned's execution; the un-kiss). Sansa doesn't have a journal to look back to, for confirming she's remembering things correctly.

It's a powerful point about what makes people tick, because of course our experiences shape who we are; but we remember things in a particular way, we generalise, our brain takes shortcuts and in the end, you wonder how much of our personality is shaped by the event and how much by how we remember the event.

I think Sansa is on the same level as every other character, in terms of being a narrator. The time being questioned by the OP, was an extremely traumatic moment.

The same can be said about the "kiss" with the Hound. The Battle of the Blackwater was raging and Kingslanding could have fallen, which may have meant her dying.

In a real life situation; a combat setting or a law enforcement officer using his firearm, individuals can't always be counted to give an accurate account of the instant in question. It comes back in bits and pieces. Sometimes, taking weeks for the full memory to come back. This happened with me, with an After Action Report once. It took me the better part of a week to finally give an accurate account of the events. That is how I feel about Sansa and the times in question.

Sansa just likes to blame people for events. She must have hated Janos for some reason, I finished AGoT a while ago so I forget if she did. But she clearly had some sort of dislike for Slynt, and of course put the blame on him for this situation, even though it wasn't directly his fault.

Sansa just likes to blame people for events. She must have hated Janos for some reason, I finished AGoT a while ago so I forget if she did. But she clearly had some sort of dislike for Slynt, and of course put the blame on him for this situation, even though it wasn't directly his fault.

.....and that is completely inaccurate. But....to each, his own.

I always sort of thought GRRM just thought he had written the Hound kissing Sansa in that scene, and had to backtrack and give a reason for the inconsistency when readers started noticing it.

Which is fine. Writing a story as immense in scope as ASOIAF, I think it's impossible to remember every single detail and not get mixed up every now and then.

I always sort of thought GRRM just thought he had written the Hound kissing Sansa in that scene, and had to backtrack and give a reason for the inconsistency when readers started noticing it.

I rather doubt GRRM would have forgotten such a significant detail.

Archived