NBA Regular Season 2014-2015: Injured Kobes and All Star Unibrows

Rhom

Hit page 21. Continue discussion.

I watched the end of that Warriors-Grizzlies game as well. Who would have ever thought that we'd see a day when one of the greatest statistical match-ups of all time would be GS and Memphis?!!? :stunned: The Warriors really do look great offensively and the Grizz are looking to be really well built for a sustained run this year. I'm impressed.

Also coming from that game, Conley sets a new standard for blown traveling calls. :lol:

Another goodie considering the last comment on the previous thread was about Wall dishing 17 assists... Taking Cowherd to task on his sort of apology on his original John Wall comments.

Cowherd is hit or miss for me. There are times that I like his show, but then there are times where he just goes off on random bizarre takes that make no sense. This "playing defense means you have good character" thing is ridiculous.

"If you play real defense in this league, you've got character." Tell that to Ruben Patterson, Dennis Rodman, Lance Stephenson. Or actually, tell that to the nanny Patterson allegedly attempted to rape, the multiple women Rodman allegedly abused and the woman Stephenson allegedly threw down a flight of stairs. John Wall doesn't have character because he plays defense, and he doesn't play defense because he has good character. John Wall has character because he is a good human, as he has apparently been his entire adult life. He plays good defense because he has the physical attributes, mental acuity and consistent effort required of good NBA defenders. It's really not that hard to understand.

Style of play and quality of production in sports say absolutely nothing about a person's character. MVPs aren't saints, scrubs aren't thugs, defenders aren't angels and scorers aren't scourges. There is no connection to how well someone does their job and how good a person they are. None.

A lot of former Cats are coming into their own now in the NBA and its great because it gives me a reason to watch more than I ever had in the past. One that surprised me this morning though was to see how well Enes Kanter is doing.

In a loss to the Pelicans (and former Cat Anthony Davis ;) ), the big kid from Turkey registered 29 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 2 steals. Apparently Kanter’s been on a tear lately, averaging 17.6 points on 52% shooting, 9.5 rebound, 1 assist and 1 block per game in the month of December. He got off to a slow start to his NBA career, but is really starting to show off why everyone was so high on him coming into the draft. Still angry that the NCAA ruined any chance he had at enjoying his year of college.

Another goodie considering the last comment on the previous thread was about Wall dishing 17 assists... Taking Cowherd to task on his sort of apology on his original John Wall comments.

Cowherd is hit or miss for me. There are times that I like his show, but then there are times where he just goes off on random bizarre takes that make no sense. This "playing defense means you have good character" thing is ridiculous.

Why would you listen to some asshole who just spouts off ridiculous statements for attention? The fact that this is a viable strategy to generate interest boggles my mind.

Thought John Feinstein was the only font of endlessly irrational John Wall takes. Not sure what it is about John Wall that generates these takes from talking heads. Actually I know exactly what it is and it's sad in the old-white-sportscaster-get-off-my-lawn kinda way.

What's satisfying to me is it feels like Wall is having a moment now. Seemingly every other stud, young PG from Rose to Irving to Curry to Lillard has become a media fascination at some point in recent years. Somehow Wall's always been left behind. Now he's playing so well he cannot be ignored.

And it's funny to watch the narratives that emerge when a guy starts playing at a really high level - suddenly everyone comes to realize he's been a good dude all along. His character was iffy when the Wizards weren't winning but now the talking heads have peered into the soul of the man and discovered they were mistaken. Well at least Cowherd did. Feinstein still probably believes Wall sucks at defense because of that one time that backup PG went for 30 points against them....

Thought John Feinstein was the only font of endlessly irrational John Wall takes. Not sure what it is about John Wall that generates these takes from talking heads. Actually I know exactly what it is and it's sad in the old-white-sportscaster-get-off-my-lawn kinda way.

I want to avoid using subconscious racism as the explanation, and just explain it as #1 pick syndrome, where if you fail to be an All-Pro by your second year, you are deemed a disappointment. But there sure were a lot of people who seemed ready to bury John Wall before he even turned 20 just because the Wizards were a bad team. It's nice to see that if you bring in solid pieces like Beal and Gortat that Wall's talent comes to the surface. The Wizards really are a fun team to watch and to root for. Gortat is a big goofball, and Beal and Wall both come across as a class act. We've even had a few Otto Porter sightings, and I'm really hoping he can develop into a starter (or better yet, Kevin Durant's backup). What? No I didn't say anything, I hope Porter is our starting Small Forward for the indefinite future.

I will say that I was very skeptical of the "Durant to DC" plan of the Wizards when I first heard it. But if Durant is actually going to seriously consider leaving OKC, the Wizards actually look like a really appealing destination. The Wizards already look pretty good, they share the ball and play defense, and their weakest position by far is SF. Crazy as it sounds, Durant could win championships here.

A little surprised Russell Westbrook isn't getting more attention, considering he's playing at a historically great level currently.

This is the best team the Thunder have had, so hopefully they can avoid the injury bug for the remainder of the season. At least for the playoffs.

Russ is a monster, but at this point i need to see him stay on the court for 5 consecutive months before i get too excited about their prospects.

Meh, he played every game in the first 5 seasons of his career. He's not an injury risk.

Meh, he played every game in the first 5 seasons of his career. He's not an injury risk.

three knee surgeries, and a host of small injuries cause by his breakneck pace of play. We'll see if that's sustainable. I hope it is.

BTW, Maith, saw a stat that this is the first time the Wizards have been 12 games over .500 since the 70's. So in our lifetime, we've never seen a Wizards team this good. How hilariously sad is that?

A little surprised Russell Westbrook isn't getting more attention, considering he's playing at a historically great level currently.

Wow, yeah his numbers are nuts. 26/6/7 is crazy for only playing 29 minutes a game. Great defense too. Really looking forward to Wizards-Thunder and Wall vs. Westbrook on Jan 2nd.

BTW, Maith, saw a stat that this is the first time the Wizards have been 12 games over .500 since the 70's. So in our lifetime, we've never seen a Wizards team this good. How hilariously sad is that?

I was actually wondering when the last time the Wizards were winning like this, because I know the best of the Arenas years and the best Howard/Webber teams were never above .600 teams. I obviously have no memory of the Wizards before that, but it doesn't really surprise me that you have to go all the way back to the 70s championship years. The Wizards/Bullets have been a bad team for a long time.

Hit page 21. Continue discussion.

I watched the end of that Warriors-Grizzlies game as well. Who would have ever thought that we'd see a day when one of the greatest statistical match-ups of all time would be GS and Memphis?!!? :stunned: The Warriors really do look great offensively and the Grizz are looking to be really well built for a sustained run this year. I'm impressed.

Also coming from that game, Conley sets a new standard for blown traveling calls. :lol:

IMO this is the best version of the video for that: https://vine.co/v/OgHlweDbZPz. Music seems to fit perfectly! :P

ST

Archived