Explanation of TV Stannis and hope for the future

Tyrell_like_Squirrel

Being the huge Stannis fan that I am, I along with many others have been somewhat disappointed in how his character has been handled. Stephen Dillane is a fantastic actor who clearly grasps the character and knows how to deliver. But while I don't feel like all the team dragonstone scenes have been terrible, or that Stannis in the show is an awful character, Stannis definitely feels muddled in season 3 and most of season 4. I do feel like season 2, and comparatively it was much stronger in terms of how that storyline played out.

My theory is that David and Dan had definite plans for what they wanted to do with Stannis in season 2, and that they have strong ideas about what to do with him in season 5. My guess is that they have been waiting for season 5 to roll around, and in the mean time they really haven't had an idea of what to do with Stannis.

I think Davos had a really clear character arc in season 3, and it makes sense. He starts off morning the loss of his son, then gets locked up when he tries to kill Melisandre. He spends his time in prison reflecting, connecting with Shireen, and most importantly learning to read, which is what his son Mathos wanted him to do all the way back in season 2. After his release, he makes the conscious decision to save Gendry's life, even at the potential cost of his own. That acts as a sort of coming to terms with his son's death, he saves this boy's life since he couldn't save his son. So that works on its own, but they seem to have not known what to do with Stannis himself. He spends much of season 3 just wandering around, running into people, and lacking agency as a character.

Seeing how they needed to keep Alfie Allen around in season 3 despite not having a real sense of what to do with him either, I think you can make the same judgement regarding Stephen Dillane as Stannis. You don't cast someone that talented on a character you're just going to throw away. What is more likely is that they didn't really need Stannis in season 3, but had to put him in so as not to lose Stephen.

Likewise for season 4, team dragonstone doesn't really need to have a huge presence until the end, but you have to use the actors or lose the actors.

I feel like season 5 will be the season of Stannis, where we finally see the character we've been waiting for. Anyone else agree? Disagree? Or just have any other thoughts they'd like to add?

• 1 month later...

Agree and I think they have made this clear. I also think the showrunners are not nearly as down on Stannis as some people seem to think.

I think part of the reason why people think they hate him is because they said he'd be a terrible king, which is a perfectly valid opinion to have, just like some people think Daenerys would be a terrible queen.

Agree and I think they have made this clear. I also think the showrunners are not nearly as down on Stannis as some people seem to think.

I think part of the reason that many fans think that is because they said that he'd be a terrible king, which is a perfectly valid opinion to have, just like many think Daenerys would be a terrible queen.

Yes, I'm also pretty sure that this is the season Stannis will start to get really likeable to the TV audience.

I seem to have missed the part(s) in the books where he became likeable to the readers. hehe. unless you are suggesting the TV show is going to take his story in a very different direction. fighting worse people than him (the Boltons) to gain the alliance of the north certainly is not enough to make him "likeable". witty, hard, unyielding... yes... but not likeable.

He is likeable to plenty of readers, as we all know, whereas the TV audience (non-book readers mostly) somewhat hates him. I was however refering to his time with Jon at the Wall during this season, which is also the time when I guess most readers really started to like him.

Yes, he fights the Boltons which most people now hate because of what they've done, and he was also the only one who came to the Wall to join the fight and "save" it from the wildling invasion. He also agrees to save Mance, agrees to let Jon kill Janos (a rather annoying character) and respects Jon's leadership. It's enough I think? :P Besides, people really need someone to root for, since people seem to die left and right, and with another important death coming up, well...

He is likeable to plenty of readers, as we all know, whereas the TV audience (non-book readers mostly) somewhat hates him. I was however refering to his time with Jon at the Wall during this season, which is also the time when I guess most readers really started to like him.

And he is disliked by plenty of readers, as we all know, and is one of the controversial characters of the book, at least judging by this forum. And there are TV viewers that like him, tool. And I disagree that it is his time with Jon that swayed readers. Readers were in his camp fairly early on and are usually very sympathetic toward him because of Davos. They also like that he went to the wall (brought up in damn near every Stannis thread), which was Davos' idea.

And he is disliked by plenty of readers, as we all know, and is one of the controversial characters of the book, at least judging by this forum. And there are TV viewers that like him, tool. And I disagree that it is his time with Jon that swayed readers. Readers were in his camp fairly early on and are usually very sympathetic toward him because of Davos. They also like that he went to the wall (brought up in damn near every Stannis thread), which was Davos' idea.

This is my personal opinion (and that of my friends who have read the books/watched the show). As a reader, I was a bit indifferent towards him until he got to the Wall and started interacting with Jon. :dunno: Can't disagree about the plenty of readers disliking him though, that's a fact.

This is my personal opinion (and that of my friends who have read the books/watched the show). As a reader, I was a bit indifferent towards him until he got to the Wall and started interacting with Jon. :dunno: Can't disagree about the plenty of readers disliking him though, that's a fact.

Actually I'm not aware of any surveys of GOT viewers regarding Stannis so, yes, I can disagree and no, it's not a fact. Perhaps it is a fact within your circle of friends. If you read any of the unsullied threads you'll see plenty of Stannis fans.

Actually I'm not aware of any surveys of GOT viewers regarding Stannis so, yes, I can disagree and no, it's not a fact. Perhaps it is a fact within your circle of friends. If you read any of the unsullied threads you'll see plenty of Stannis fans.

Did I present any survey or statistics? Some people like him and some people don't, that's what I was getting at.

Did I present any survey or statistics? Some people like him and some people don't, that's what I was getting at.

This is true.

It will be very interesting to see how things progress with Stannis this season. And in the remaining ones. Especially regarding Melisandre and Shireen.

I'm quite excited to see what happens to Stannis. I have my theories on how he will deal with Roose and Ramsay. I don't see him dying at their hand. Honestly I see him being betrayed by Melisandre once she confirms once and for all the Jon is the PwwP. Everyone is on board for how Stannis is gonna take the Bolton forces 'Ice Fishing' right?

While we are kind of on the topic of Book v TV, I am bummed out the Moqorro isn't around. I loved the interaction between him and Victarion.

I think even in the books it was the same with Stannis (though I read them a few months ago so I don't remember everything in detail). Stannis is sort of a beaten man after the Blackwater and there isn't much said of him other than that he stays locked away in Dragonstone and doesn't talk to anyone but Melisandre. The story follows Davos more up until the point when Stannis goes North.

I think you're right though that this season we'll see a lot more of Stannis as he interacts with Jon.

Archived