Video Games: This is (Elite) Dangerous

Werthead

Hey I just got Rogue Legacy on the last sale and love it. Anything else like this? I have Shovel Knight on my list, and Abyss Odyssey. Rogue Legacy reminds me of Symphony of the Knight but I think I've played it out and would another game like it.

It depends what you like about it. The "start over when you die, but keep your improvements" thing is common to Roguelikes; RL is a marriage of that and Symphony of the Night style Metroidvanias. Abyss Odyssey is a close-ish match, but I thought it was just okay.

Do you have any form of DS? The best Metroidvanias post-SOTN were the DS Castlevanias (Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia). There were also good GBA ones if you have a GBA or an older DS with a GBA slot. They lack the Roguelike elements but offer the same sort of gameplay.

You might also look at Super House of Dead Ninjas on Steam, which plays differently but has some elements in common with RL.

Beyond that, I am always on the hunt for proper Metroidvanias, so I'd love to get some new recommendations. A lot of the games billed that way (e.g., Shadow Complex, Guacamelee!) aren't really the same style.

Hearthstone finally came out for Android devices a few days ago, rejoice! Runs pretty smoothly on my tablet. So nice not to have to use Splashtop to play it in bed anymore :lol:

It's not meant to run on smaller devices (I think a 6 inch screen is supposed to be the minimum) but some folks figured out how to get around that and I've got it running on my phone as well. Surprisingly the Galaxy S3 can handle it. There's a significant amount of lag of course, sometimes the game will just hang for 4 or 5 seconds after you give a command, and the framerate is of course very low but none of that really matters in a turn based card game anyway. Being able to play a quick game on my phone is pretty awesome.

Works well over 3G and 4G as well which is nice since the network at my office blocks it :devil:

Managed to ambush another four of them with some stealth boys, dynamite, a hunting rifle and Boone. All Boone succeeded in doing was getting shot to pieces while I sneaked away and picked them off at a distance. He's been great as a companion, but that was not his finest hour. :PYeah I killed all of the Legion guys at Nipton, and am now vilified. :/

This game is great fun so far, but glitchy as fuck.

Ambushing with dynamite is my favorite. :cheers:

Saw a promo bit for Final Fantasy Type Zero. All the kids running around in Japanese schoolgirl/schoolboy outfits really just didn't do anything for me. Between that and the "Meh" reaction that the FFXV trailer elicited in me, I think I can honestly say that for the first time since I came up with four letter names for a Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, and Black Mage back in fifth grade; I have zero interest in Final Fantasy anymore. Kind of a sad realization.

Came across my copy of Jade Empire when trying to find a place to hide Christmas present. Might give it a replay, its aged quite well, shame it was a standalone though

Wish it had gotten a PS translation, would like to play it.

Just played my first ever 30 minutes of a Metal Gear Solid game. Woah.

Yes, which game are we speaking of here? I lost interest in Ground Zeroes pretty quickly, but MGS1-4 are some of my favorite games for their respective systems.

Successfully carried out my first clandestine smuggling in Elite: Dangerous.

Normal trade runs in the early game will net you 2,000 credits if you're lucky and canny, so, since I have access to a super-fast Eagle ship (thanks to the pre-order), I decided to do a fast retrieval mission. I had to go grab some black boxes from a big battle around a remote star (picked up some nice extra cash for surveying the system at the same time) and then get them onto one of the big Federation stations. Not every ship is routinely scanned - the lore says that even the moderately busy systems still get upwards of 50,000 ships passing through every day, so it's impractical - so it's a case of having to avoid the spot checks. The station has Viper fighters on routine patrol, so I had to work out their routes and stay out of scanning range on the final approach. Then one of them closed to scanning range and started pinging me, so I screamed "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck it!", slammed on the afterburners and screamed through the docking portal at 30kps, or about three times faster than is safely recommended. That got me out of scanning range (nearly ramming another ship in the docking tunnel in the process) and then I had to slam into reverse to avoid crashed into the interior hull of the station before pulling of a relatively graceful landing on my designated pad.

Slightly nerve-wracking but 12,000 credits made it worth it. Totally sweet.

It depends what you like about it. The "start over when you die, but keep your improvements" thing is common to Roguelikes; RL is a marriage of that and Symphony of the Night style Metroidvanias. Abyss Odyssey is a close-ish match, but I thought it was just okay.

Do you have any form of DS? The best Metroidvanias post-SOTN were the DS Castlevanias (Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia). There were also good GBA ones if you have a GBA or an older DS with a GBA slot. They lack the Roguelike elements but offer the same sort of gameplay.

You might also look at Super House of Dead Ninjas on Steam, which plays differently but has some elements in common with RL.

Beyond that, I am always on the hunt for proper Metroidvanias, so I'd love to get some new recommendations. A lot of the games billed that way (e.g., Shadow Complex, Guacamelee!) aren't really the same style.

I love that type of game, and am so bummed they've decided to go another way with the Castlevania series. If you can get two or three friends who like those games the multiplayer one for 360/PS3 can be a blast.

Nice. What order are you playing in?

Yes, which game are we speaking of here? I lost interest in Ground Zeroes pretty quickly, but MGS1-4 are some of my favorite games for their respective systems.

I've only played Ground Zeroes so far, and like I said, I've only spent about half an hour playing it. The stealth feels really different compared to Splinter Cell, or Hitman, or what have you. I really like it so far, and I'm probably gonna get my hands on the older games that are on PC and maybe even try to emulate the ones that aren't.

I have a coupon for 20% off Origin, I'm looking for some shooter action after much hours passed on Inquisition. Is Titantall a good buy at 20ish dollars? Also, is it like BF3 where the community is split asunder with all the map DLCs or did they dial down on that stuff and the vanilla game still sees some players?

343 Industries is adding ODST, Relic remake, and a month of gold to the Master Chief Collection for free (to the people who have already played the game in the first month) in the spring.

My guess is it's recompense for the problems thus far.

Goddamnit. Well that's decent of them I suppose, but I'm going to miss out on free stuff. :(

My motherboard broke so hoping to get conputer back tonight or tomorrow from the shop (got the computer on november). The tech guy said he might need to reinstall windows, meaning I'll have to reinstall swtor and Elite :(

Wert,

So is Elite Dangerous readily playable with a mouse & keyboard and/or Xbox controller, or does it require a joystick of some type?

It's easily playable on mouse+keyboard, as long as you're not planning to go hardcore PvP. For everything else it's reasonable. X-Box controller is doable, but you'll run out of butons fast.

A joystick/HOTAS set-up is by far the best option. I got a very cheap (£30) Thrustmaster T-Flight which is superb and works readily with all the old space sims as well.

Tried to do a dodgy black box retrieval mission in a system wracked by pirates, but by the time I got there the Feds had turned up in force. Retrieved the box but got stung for a 12K fine, which was more than what the job was worth. So after selling my stuff and clearing my record, I was worse off. Fortunately the system I was in was embarking on a major attempt to destabilise a neighbour, resulting in a sweet run of easy propaganda-dispensing missions. At the end of that I was up to 30K, about 10% of what I needed to get a Cobra.

Sigh.

Archived