Favorite Quote in the Series?

Lord Coldhands

From the books:

"Only Cat."

"Theon. My name is Theon. You have to know your name."

"I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him."

"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."

Also, a couple show-only:

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb... they refuse. They cling to the realm. Or their Gods. Or Love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."

"Do you remember that cave? We should have stayed in that cave."

"We'll go back there."

"You know nothing... Jon Snow..."

From the books:

"Only Cat."

"Theon. My name is Theon. You have to know your name."

"I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him."

"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."

Also, a couple show-only:

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb... they refuse. They cling to the realm. Or their Gods. Or Love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."

"Do you remember that cave? We should have stayed in that cave."

"We'll go back there."

"You know nothing... Jon Snow..."

I know we're not supposed to mention the show but I loved the exchange between Jaime and Loras:

Jaime "You'll never marry her (Cersei)"

Loras "And neither will you." (pats Jaime on the back)

"You know nothing, Jon Snow" - Ygritte

"Yield" - Arya to Lommy when asked what to do if the wolves came.

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died." - Jorah Mormont

"Those are brave men. Let's go kill them." - Tyrion

"I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood." - Rodrik Harlaw

"There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different." - Sandor Clegane

"There is a tool for every task, and a task for every tool." - Tywin Lannister

"Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born." - Maester Aemon

"We all need to be mocked from time to time, Lord Mormont, lest we start to take ourselves too seriously." - Tyrion

"So young. Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey." - Wyman Manderly

“There’s no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it." - Jon Snow

"Give me sweet lies, and keep your bitter truths." - Tyrion

All Dolorous Edd quotes.

And finally, the one that made me drop a tear: "Egg? Egg, I dreamed that I was old." Maester Aemon

Since many of the 'usual' quotes are posted already, I will contribute two that I think are quite underrated:

The first one shows that the crannogmen are not people to be underestimated:

“There are no knights in the neck,” said Jojen.
“Above the water,” his sister corrected. “The bogs are full of dead ones, though.”
“That's true,” said Jojen. “Andals and ironmen, Freys and other fools, all those proud warriors to set out to conquer Greywater. Not one of them could find it. They ride into the neck, but not back out. And sooner or later they blunder into the bogs and sink beneath the weight of all that steel and drown there in their armor.”

And in contrast a second quote that shows that even in Westeros it is possible that people not only tolerate others who do not fulfill social expectations, but appreciate each other because of those traits:

The gods give many gifts, Bran. My sister is a hunter. It is given to her to run swiftly, and stand so still she seems to vanish. She has sharp ears, keen eyes, a steady hand with net and spear. She can breathe mud and fly through trees. I could not do these things, no more than you could. To me, the gods gave the green dreams, and to you... you could be more than me, Bran. You are the winged wolf, and there is no saying how far and high you might fly [...]"

Bronn is the best :lol:

Tyrion was a little drunk, and very tired. “Tell me, Bronn. If I told you to kill a babe . . . an infant girl, say, still at her mother’s breast . . . would you do it? Without question?”

“Without question? No.” The sellsword rubbed thumb and forefinger together. “I’d ask how much.”

What do you guys think? Do you have a favorite?

I like some if Tyrion's quotes, but my favorite has to be this:

When dead men come hunting in the night, do you think it matters who sits the Iron Throne?

-Jeor Mormont, to Jon Snow

That's one of my favourites. There's so many but a few of my favourites are:

"Men are men, vows are words, and words are winds." - Iron Emmett

"An eye for an eye, a son for a son; Lucerys shall be avenged." - Daemon Targaryen

There are several Maester Aemon quotes I love, but these are the stand outs that don't make me sad:

"I have been called many things, my lord, but kind is seldom one of them."

"What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms ... or the memory of a brothers smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy."

This one is also up there amongst my favorites and I don't believe it's been mentioned.

"Jaime,” she said, tugging on his ear, “sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna’s breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there’s some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak... but Tyrion is Tywin’s son, not you. I said so once to your father’s face, and he would not speak to me for half a year. Men are such thundering great fools. Even the sort who come along once in a thousand years.”

Genna is right in the sense that despite all the genius Tywin possessed, he was completely ignorant about how much Tyrion took after him and how similar they really were. He was so ashamed of Tyrion being a dwarf that he refused to acknowledge the fact that Tyrion had much more in common with him than his golden child Jaime ever would.

A quote that I love, though I've never seen mentioned on here, is the the Widow of the Waterfront (along the lines of): "Give her a message from the slaves of old Volantis, tell her we are waiting, tell her to come soon."

Dany, incredibly, gets so much stick for her humanitarian, anti-slavery campaign, and I'm somewhat a sucker for due credit given in the face of unfair criticism.

The "tell her come soon" quote from above is also a personal favorite that doesn't get it's fair share of love.

"The North remembers"

from the show a line that always pleases me is from S1 between Tyrion and Shae before the battle paraphrase

"If I die weep for me"

"You will be dead how will you know"

"I'll Know".

Love that Dinklage reading.

Archived