Tonight is the Last Colbert Report

drawkcabi

I will probably shed a tear or two.

TCR has been one of my favorite shows ever since it premiered. I'm a bit worried at what network tv will do to Colbert's humor, but I guess we'll just have to see.

So long and thanks for the fish :)

TCR has been one of my favorite shows ever since it premiered. I'm a bit worried at what network tv will do to Colbert's humor, but I guess we'll just have to see.

So long and thanks for the fish :)

I will sorely miss his Colbert Report character.

Stephen is a funny guy, so I'm sure his new show will be fine. It just won't be the same. :crying:

I will sorely miss his Colbert Report character.

Stephen is a funny guy, so I'm sure his new show will be fine. It just won't be the same. :crying:

Agreed.

I hope he at least does maybe a segment once in a while on his new show that's like a mini Colbert Report.

I was just watching a compilation of Colbert breaking character and laughing, and this classic was in there. Petty juvenile, but it slays me.

Somewhat more seriously, the context of that joke is Colbert at his finest. After Citizens United he exposed the farce of American election funding and Super PACs, by actually setting up his own Super PAC and doing stupid shit with it, while actually getting across some information about the way they work and how absurd they are. I've always felt that Colbert's satire had a lot more bite than Stewart's. I'll never forget his speech at the White House correspondent's dinner, where he tore into Bush and the press with them all standing around him.

Anyway, I'm going to miss the character and having Colbert as a political satirist. I'm sure he'll do some of it on the Late Show, but probably a lot less. Kind of sad thinking about it, although I haven't watched his whole show through in I don't know how long. I'll watch tonight's.

Yeah, he's the best political satirist of all time. Stewart and Oliver are funny, but they're playing themselves. What makes the Colbert Report amazing is that its Colbert playing a character, improvising all the time as a persona he definitely has very little in common with.

His interviews are also the best. He uses the Colbert character's absurdities to great effect in these, allowing him to ask some of the toughest questions.

I was just watching a compilation of Colbert breaking character and laughing, and this classic was in there. Petty juvenile, but it slays me.

As an Englishman I'm not hugely familiar with the guy, but Imgur tells me the reason he cracked up so much was that the picture they had under 'Munchma Quchi' was his mother in law.

Colbert --among his myriad talents-- is probably the best interviewer I've ever seen. Even in character, his ability to think quickly and be funny by asking the right/awkward question is like no other.... its a skill that will serve him well in his new gig.

He can never be replaced. But someone new, and awesome will come along... a la Jon Oliver... probably someone we haven't heard of yet

I'm too sentimental for my own good. That actually made me tear up.

Even thought I didn't watch it all the time Colbert Report and The Daily Show are just shows I expect will always be around and take comfort in that, now one is gone. :crying:

Nice ending, very sweet. Having his character become immortal (instead of dying as hinted) was perfect. I'm guessing we can expect Colbert to turn up on the Daily Show, maybe even Larry Wilmore's new show, in character in the future.

Some of the guests I didn't recognize, but also lots of very recognizable faces. Speaks well of Colbert on a personal level and in terms of cultural reputation that so many people were willing to turn up for that.

Archived