Moments that didn't affect you as much

Tastes like Frey

Are there any moments in the series that you felt you should have reacted to differently?

Personally, Lady's death never really got to me. Sure I felt bad for Sansa, and the injustice of it kind of left a sour taste in your mouth, but I didn't need to put the book down for a minute or anything like so many other parts made me do.

Also this is my first time posting a topic, it's kind of a surreal feeling after lurking around here for so long...

Welcome! I am sort of in the same boat as you. Officially only been a member on here since August, but a regular "reader" since summer 2013.

I'd probably say Kevan's death by Varys. Durring my first read of the 5 books, and especially durring FFC and DWD, I really started to like Kevan as a character. Seemed level headed enough. But quite a while after that last epilogue (maybe a day later even), I explicitly remember telling myself, "holy moly, Kevan is dead." I had gotten so focused on Vary's speech that I almost forgot he actually killed the guy.

**assuming none of the crack-pottery about Kevan only being wounded is true.

I was more upset that Edwyn Frey turned down Dacey Mormont's invitation to dance than I was at the slaughter that followed.

Same here ! I don't know why, but the way she's denied that dance felt really harsh and really got to me. Maybe because it reminded me how innocent and young she was despite being a soldier. The slaughter was hard too but for a tons of other reasons, and this little moment got me more.

Davos' fake death in aFfF didn't affect me at all. It was really obvious he wasn't dead. I'm not sure GRRM tried to make it suspenseful or not, but that should be something that affects readers more imo. When I read that White Harbor had Davos' head on a spike with an onion in his mouth, I was like "Yeah, sure".

EDIT: Come to think of it, these fake deaths never affect me. That's one of my few gripes with GRRM. It's like all deaths have to be some big scene with confirmation shortly later that the character is actually dead.

Believe it or not the purple wedding surprised me more than the red wedding. Once Robb and Grey Wind were separated I basically knew we were in for some shit. With the purple wedding even though there were signs that something was coming I didn't think it was that and my mouth was basically hanging open as he clawed at his throat. Then I yelled at Tyrion for picking up the chalice.

I didn't have much of a reaction to Dany saying to question them sharply.

Davos' fake death in aFfF didn't affect me at all. It was really obvious he wasn't dead. I'm not sure GRRM tried to make it suspenseful or not, but that should be something that affects readers more imo. When I read that White Harbor had Davos' head on a spike with an onion in his mouth, I was like "Yeah, sure".

EDIT: Come to think of it, these fake deaths never affect me. That's one of my few gripes with GRRM. It's like all deaths have to be some big scene with confirmation shortly later that the character is actually dead.

I was surprised to find out the fake deaths still fool people.

I think the Hound smashing Arya with the flat of an axe was supposed to terrify readers, but I had no reaction to it at all. There was no "OMG! Arya's dead!" thought process whatsoever. I had no doubt she was coming back.

Never really thought Bran and Rickon were dead either.

Nor Davos.

Nor Jon.

Wasn't sure about Theon, but when he showed back up, I sort of wished he had died instead. We all know that GRRM enjoys killing Starks, but what he does to characters who kill Starks is almost as ridiculously over-the-top as you can imagine. Which is why I'm pretty sure that Stannis won't make it (i.e., the leeches).

And I first reacted to Cersei's walk of shame with a Walder Frey 'Heh.' It's only going to get worse for her from there.

I agree, there have been too many fake deaths. We've gotten a bit desensitized.

Archived