Spoilers! Will Arya be recast when...

silvertone1484

... she changes her face? I have wondered about this. Maisie Williams is such a great actress, it would be a shame if someone else played the part but I don't know how else they will handle this development? I am new to posting (long time lurker: I have checked this forum every day for at least two years) so I don't know how to hide spoilers; I tried to give as much warning as I could in the title.

I remember someone suggesting that they might have it so that we see Maisie's face, but when she stands in front of a mirror or other reflective surface we see whoever she is supposed to appear as. I am curious to see how they approach it.

That's a fantastic idea, I hope they do it this way.

Or they will simply cut it as they will cut Mel´s glamour tricks with Mance. It is not that important for Arya to get into that stage of training, Even if it become important in the books, it would be something D+D would want to rewrite. It is one of those things that does not work well on TV. I am sure they want to concentrate of parts of training where they can use Maise fully. Espionage, brainwashing, loosing/mantaining her indentity, her relation to Kindly Man, revenge on Trant for Syrio. More then enough material for season 5.

They could do what they did to Georgia in Dead Like Me. She had a public face that was barely seen, but they keep the actress for obvious reasons.

I've only seen a few episodes of that show but I agree, they could do that. It's basically what FreeParking suggested since the girl in Dead Like Me had a 'new' face when she was dead.

... she changes her face? I have wondered about this. Maisie Williams is such a great actress, it would be a shame if someone else played the part but I don't know how else they will handle this development? I am new to posting (long time lurker: I have checked this forum every day for at least two years) so I don't know how to hide spoilers; I tried to give as much warning as I could in the title.

You seem to not notice that in THE UGLY LITTLE GIRL that Arya gets her name day face back , so FM can have the faces they were born with if they want to , the 'disguise' is used whenever it's needed. So it should be obvious , even in the book, Arya will have her name day face most the time. For sure Maisie will be on the show through season 7. For the show the face-changing stuff will be held to a minimum.

As was mentioned it's an old trick , not used a lot, in film and TV , to have two POV's , one when the camera is the viewer's POV and one when it's a different character's POV. Character's will see a different face and you the viewer will see Maisie, sometimes this can be a bit of tricky editing when characters interact.

A careful reading of THE UGLY LITTLE GIRL gives curious information. In the story Arya seems to physically get a new face while twice in the story Arya notices , to herself, that her face has not changed.

Also the Kindly Man says:

“Mummers change their faces with artifice,” the kindly man was saying, “and sorcerers use glamors, weaving light and shadow and desire to make illusions that trick the eye. These arts you shall learn, ..."

Using artifice or glamor may be what Jaqen did. It's hard to believe he carried a real face around with him! It would have rotted.

I can see this 'face changing' stuff done by CGI VFX , it's amazing what can be done at the present , it might be expensive but it can be done.

Not sure what they will do about it , since face changing, has been done on the show, I don't think it will be discarded, but probably held to an absolute minimum.

or she might just not change her face?

Jaqen did in the show, so it would be a wasted opportunity to let go of that particular piece of magic. And that's assuming it doesn't become critical in TWOW or ADOS in a way they'd be hard pressed to replace.

I'd say that Arya would not need to change her face in either the books or the show, since most people are convinced that Ramsay married Arya so would they even believe her if she told the truth? I mean yeah i get that it would be great if she got to reveal herself to Jon by showing him Needle when he wouldn't be able to recognize her appearance otherwise but Maisie is such a good actress as Arya that it would be a shame to swap her for another actress just to pull this off.

My guess, they'll do without the hard face changes. Jaqen changes faces using glamors, but as the KM said, it takes years to learn how to do that. So Arya never learns how to do that, she leaves before it gets that far. I think she's heading back to Westeros the first half of TWOW, the penultimate book.

“I asked him how he changed his face... Jaqen used magic.”

“All sorcery comes at a cost, child. Years of prayer and sacrifice and study are required to work a proper glamor.”

I agree that some visual trickery will probably be used, such as the mirror trick mentioned above. I'd have suspected that they would simply rewrite her plot to make it less of a literal changing of faces and more figurative, but Jaqen's change of appearance in Season 2 confirms that Arya will literally wear another face.

Archived