Tywin Lannister pragmatism and coldness ?

King Jon Targaryen I

I understand the whole Joanna thing ( even though I beleive she would have loved Tyrion if she had lived) but blaming your son for your wifes death is a bit cruel and very problematic. I have seen the argument that Tywin when he was younger was outspoken but we really have no glimpse to how Tywin was before War of Ninepenny Kings. But I can assume its just Tywin that was like that cause his brothers where very different from him like Tygett and Geiron. We could argue that Gerion likely defended Tyrion when his father would chastise him telling his brother to calm down.

The whole thing with Tywin is definitely image and his father Tytos was a weak ruler but I think its because Tytos was just like Ned he did not want to inherit he wanted his own life but Gerold Lannister choose him because his other brothers died. One aspect of Tywins personality is that he remembers slights done to him and he is very ruthless likely going a bit too far has seen with the Reynes and Tarbecks. Tywin has a character does fascinate me cause you kinda wonder what would make him raise his children into being so unstable more specifically Tyrion and Cersei.

I wondered how Tywin would react if Tyrion argued with him and told his father there is no need to be the way he is because Tytos has been dead for years. Also cersei didn't help either and torturing a child like by squeezing Tyrion's penis that clearly shows some psychosis there. Of course Jamie never saw this because he was the favorite so he in a way allowed himself to be a more positive person and move away from that narcissism Cersei and Tyrion seem to have. One thing is for sure, Tywin was a horrible father don't know what caused him to change into a cold man?

I find interesting the fact you're poiting, about raising unstable children... even if being the favorite, Jaime is still kind of messed up in some way since he recurred to incest since a young age and there seems that there wasn't enough autority or management over that issue from part of Tywin to make them stop when they were little.

I do belive that Tywin is a very egoist man and only looks out for his own goals... as it's said, all goodness in him died with Joanna, and that maked the big change on him. He indeed, as you say, had to be a stronger ruler to make up for the weakness of his father... but this fact, and the fact of loosing his most trusted counselor, Joanna, might have made him loose the path and forget about all mercy and kindness and become an even more stronger and cold man.

The bad parenting over his children might have been that he always saw them as pieces of his game, on trying to get more power for Lannister House and glory, rather than seing them as their sons and daughter.

Archived