Keeping Aegon from Daenerys and Viserys?

Isobel Harper

A.) Why didn't Illyrio tell Daenerys and Viserys about Aegon? Whether Aegon's a Targaryen or not makes no matter. There's still a plot to put him on the Iron Throne as the son of Rhaegar. Also, why didn't Illyrio give Aegon the dragon eggs?

B.) How will Daenerys react when she learns of Aegon? What will be her response to Illyrio, who promised the throne to Viserys as well?

I feel like there's more to this plot than meets the eye, and it's more than just (possibly) Aegon being a Blackfyre/Brightflame/descendant from another Targaryen bastard.

A.) Why didn't Illyrio tell Daenerys and Viserys about Aegon? Whether Aegon's a Targaryen or not makes no matter. There's still a plot to put him on the Iron Throne as the son of Rhaegar. Also, why didn't Illyrio give Aegon the dragon eggs?

B.) How will Daenerys react when she learns of Aegon? What will be her response to Illyrio, who promised the throne to Viserys as well?

I feel like there's more to this plot than meets the eye, and it's more than just (possibly) Aegon being a Blackfyre/Brightflame/descendant from another Targaryen bastard.

Dany and Viserys were being hunted because everyone knew they were alive. Aegon was believed dead so he had to stay that way.

P.S. If you know how to create and lock topics let me know i forgot.

Dany and Viserys were being hunted because everyone knew they were alive. Aegon was believed dead so he had to stay that way.

I'm not sure how that answers my question. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. (And no, I don't know how. Sorry.)

You can't lock topics. You report the one you want to lock it for a mod do it for you. If you want to create one, enter the subforum where you want to create and press "start new topic" button.

I'm not sure how that answers my question. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. (And no, I don't know how. Sorry.)

Exposing yourself to marked people could easily make you marked, I figured that was supposed to be obvious

You can't lock topics. You report the one you want to lock it for a mod do it for you. If you want to create one, enter the subforum where you want to create and press "start new topic" button.

Where is the subforum at?

Daenerys and Viserys were targets should Robert finally actively hint them like he wanted to. Aegon was safer separate and later, Viserys was volatile at best and Dany a cowed girl at Illyrio's manse; could they be trusted?

The dragon eggs, not sure - that's the big hole for me in fAegon theories that state Dany was meant to die in the Dothraki Sea - she's going to die, so give her three super valuable stones? Illyrio tells Tyrion he thought she would but I suspect there's something else going on. If nothing else, keep one for Aegon.

Exposing yourself to marked people could easily make you marked, I figured that was supposed to be obvious

That did answer my question, but not fully. Daenerys and Viserys are Targaryens too. Wouldn't they keep his identity a secret? They wouldn't have to meet him or do anything else that would bring attention to his presence. Why does Illyrio promise the throne to Viserys? Viserys wouldn't have a claim with Aegon being alive. Aegon comes first in the line of succession.

It's best not to have all your eggs in one basket .

That makes sense, but I don't think the explanation is as simple as that. Simple is not GRRM's style. :P

Im pretty sure that if viserys found out about Aegon, he would try to kill him because Aegon has the better claim.

Would he though? Don't get me wrong, I know how must Viserys wanted the throne, but more than that, he (and Daenerys) wanted to go home. Three Targaryens are better than two. It could be that Illyrio wouldn't trust him, but then again, Illyrio could also not let Viserys know Aegon's location. He and Daenerys were more or less beggars on the street before they met Illyrio. How would Viserys track him down and kill him with the total lack of resources that he had?

I think you mostly answered your own questions: He didn't tell them because he doesn't need them to know about him, and it could quite likely endanger his endgame. Illyrio was always plotting to have Aegon on the throne, which is why he kept him safe while 'accidentally' introducing an informer loyal to his BBF to Dany and Viserys. They were the smoke screen behind which he hid Aegon. Added benefit: he sold Dany to Drogo for a fortune, and got rid of the Khalasaar as well. He gave Dany three petrified dragon eggs, which were certainly valuable, but definitely not priceless. It was expected of him to give Drogo a fine present for his wedding, so he gave him eggs by way of gifting them to her. I would expect he has an acutal dragon egg for Aegon, like all Targaryens had one in earlier times.

Only when he realized Dany was a lot more than expected and had actually hatched dragons did he start serious attempts to get her attention - but by no means is it certain that he has benevolent intentions towards her.

A) This question pretty much is what leads me to think Aegon isn't legit. Varys and Ilyrio hatch a plot for a Targaryen restoration and create a heir in the form of Aegon and begin nurturing him. However later on when Viserys and Dany fall into their hands, they decide to back them. Given their claim is more suspect than Aegon's would be if he were real, that seems to indicate to me that Aegon isn't real and they only restorted back to him once Viserys died and Dany exiled herself to Slaver's Bay.

B ) It's always hard to tell how Dany will react. She usually seems to base her reactions on her passions more than reasoning. Though given she was told to beware the mummer's dragon and given how invested she is in the prospect of being Queen I doubt for a moment she'd actually end up believing Aegon is real either and see him as another rival pretender.

I think you mostly answered your own questions: He didn't tell them because he doesn't need them to know about him, and it could quite likely endanger his endgame. Illyrio was always plotting to have Aegon on the throne, which is why he kept him safe while 'accidentally' introducing an informer loyal to his BBF to Dany and Viserys.

Not sure who you're referring to in the bold. A typo?

They were the smoke screen behind which he hid Aegon.

Having Daenerys and Viserys around might distract the eye from another potential Targaryen out there, but their distracting comes simply from their existance, not out of someone else's planning.

He gave Dany three petrified dragon eggs, which were certainly valuable, but definitely not priceless. It was expected of him to give Drogo a fine present for his wedding, so he gave him eggs by way of gifting them to her.

It's emphasized in the books just how expensive a dragon egg is, nonetheless three dragon eggs. In fact, iirc, the word "priceless" is thrown out there a few times in the books. It's no simple thing to just gift dragon eggs. Also, according to AWoW, he expected Daenerys to end up dying in the Dothraki sea. If she were expected to die, why give her dragon eggs?

I just feel that there is more to Varys' and Illyrio's scheming than meets the eye, and it's more than just Aegon being (potentially) a Blackfyre.

The Dragons Eggs were just the equivalent of Money to Illyrio. He would provide Aegon's funds, so the eggs could be just given away.

There was no way to foretell that the eggs would hatch. They haven't hatched for 100 years.

IIRC Dany Viserys came to Illyrio's mansion six months before Dany's first pov chapter. What caused this sudden act of benevolence from Varys Illyrio ?

It may very well have been necessiated by Drogo's Khalassar pitching their tents at the gates of Pentos, but could something else have caused this? If so what?

IIRC Dany Viserys came to Illyrio's mansion six months before Dany's first pov chapter. What caused this sudden act of benevolence from Varys Illyrio ?

It may very well have been necessiated by Drogo's Khalassar pitching their tents at the gates of Pentos, but could something else have caused this? If so what?

Because Dany was coming to marriage age and people like JonCon would ask questions if Illyrio didnot do anything to unite these Targaryens finally by arranging a marriage between fAegon and Dany. Illyrio made it seem like Viserys sold Dany for a Dothraki horde and then he will be ready to unite with fAegon. But in fact, it was a death sentence for the Targaryens to keep them out of fAegon's way. Viserys would get himself killed. That was plain to see. Dany OTOH would either die or if she survives that long, she was supposed to join the dosh khaleen.

Because Dany was coming to marriage age and people like JonCon would ask questions if Illyrio didnot do anything to unite these Targaryens finally by arranging a marriage between fAegon and Dany. Illyrio made it seem like Viserys sold Dany for a Dothraki horde and then he will be ready to unite with fAegon. But in fact, it was a death sentence for the Targaryens to keep them out of fAegon's way. Viserys would get himself killed. That was plain to see. Dany OTOH would either die or if she survives that long, she was supposed to join the dosh khaleen.

Why wait so long? Why not bring them in earlier?

Why wait so long? Why not bring them in earlier?

Illyrio never wanted to bring them back. He wanted them dead though he can never make that public. While fAegon was young, he convinced JonCon that in order for the boy's safety, his identity should remain hidden and the spies watching Viserys and Dany might reveal fAegon prematurely. fAegon was not ready. A boy cannot gather any followers but a bright prince who came to age with intense education and training can act as a figurehead. Illyrio must have sent fAegon and his staff shortly before he accepted Viserys and Dany to his manse.

Archived