How exactly did Rhaegar lose to Robert Baratheon?

Pecnut

Wasn't Rhaegar considered one the best fighters alongside Arthur Dayne and Barristan Selmy?

He managed to defeat them both at the Tourney of Harrenhal, so how did Robert manage to kill Rhaegar one on one?

Rhaegar was on the level of Arthur and Barristan only in Viserys' dreams. Rhaegar was very good but not an elite. Winning once in the tourney doesn't mean much. Jorah won in one, and defeated Jaime himself but nobody in their right minds would tell that Jorah was better than Jaime.

And Jorah won the tourney at Lannisport. While competent, certainly not "the best." Every dog has his day. And wasn't Robert pretty severely injured in the battle as well? Wasn't completely one sided fight.

Also, the story kinda demanded that he lose. Same as Anakin.

A giant fucking warhammer caved in his chest.

In medieval warfare, swords (and other slicing weapons) were not very good against plate armour. One needed a a blunt force weapon, such as a mace, morningstar, or warhammer, to inflict damage through plate armour.

Robert came prepared.

Are we sure that Rhaegar was using a sword? I don't remember.

Yes, if he was using a sword, that alone explains it. It's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. You are fighting on a horse in a river against a man in full plate and you are using a sword? That's an almost guaranteed loss unless the other guy falls off his horse and drowns or something.

The way I picture this fight, the two of them were mounted and charged at each other repeatedly amidst the shallow Ruby Ford. Rhaegar with his sword landed the first blow and gave Robert a deep cut.

During a later pass, Rhaegar went for the killing blow, but a bleeding and enraged Robert fought back like a wounded beast (picture how he slew the boar after getting tusked from groin to shoulder). BAM the heavy steel war hammer smashed into Rhaegar chest and broke his sternum.

Rhaegar fell and couldn't rise anymore, a blunt trauma wound like that from a war hammer is much more debilitating that a cut from a sword or an arrow wound.

rhaegar got a lot of notoriety for being a very good jouster and melee fighter. yes, he was still a good swordsman too but i dont think there was every really any evidence of him being considered great. a current character to use as a comparison would be thoros. for example, he beat the hound a couple times in melee tourneys but way more often than not sandor would take a real fight between the two.

martin said something along the lines of the elite level fighters are so close that what they ate for breakfast could determine the winner. i dont think rhaegar would be considered elite level but even in death he still roughed up robert. robert sent ned to kings landing in his place because he was too hurt from the fight to ride on.

Seriously I wonder what Rhaegar was doing there in the first place. Robert was a giant covered in iron. He was stupid enough to be in the thick of the battlefield. I bet he could be spotted yards away. FFS send a couple of crossbowmen and get rid of him once and for all.

By the way guys this is a picture of a real war hammer, notice it's not a very large weapon or something that can be said to be a "heavy weapon", since the user would likely have to use iyt repeatedly over the hours of a battle, it has to be "light" with its effectiveness coming not from the heaviness of the weapon but the strength of the arm wielding it.

220px-OHM_-_Streithammer.jpg

Seriously I wonder what Rhaegar was doing there in the first place. Robert was a giant covered in iron. He was stupid enough to be in the thick of the battlefield. I bet he could be spotted yards away. FFS send a couple of crossbowmen and get rid of him once and for all.

I don't think Rhaegar had a choice in the matter. I believe that Robert tracked down Rhaegar and forced the confrontation. Rhaegar was commander of the royal army and couldn't prance around on the battlefield looking for a duel. Robert wasn't commanding the overall rebel army, on the other hand. There were few stormlanders at the Trident but they likely form the basis for an elite cavalry company given all that they had survived.

All three of Rhaegar's sub commander were out of the fight by that point in the battle, killed or incapacitated so the Royal force had already essentially lost the battle (Martell and Darry dead, Barristan wounded).

My best guess is Rhaegar was trying to organize an ordered retreat toward the capital to minimize losses when Robert's company crashed into Rhaegar's command and Robert made sure to engage Rhaegar personally.

I don't believe it was a mutually agreed duel. No general in overall command of the army would agree to that and no one expect him to. And if troops manage to reach the enemy general, it usually means the battle is getting rather one-sided...

How things would have been different had Robert confronted Barristan Selmy that day instead of Rhaegar Targaryen. There would have multiple pieces of Robert flowing down the Trident.

Too bad then that someone had already taken care of Barristan because he was seriously wounded by the time Barristan finds Rhaegar.

By the details we know, it looks like the royal army got curbstomped. All commanders dead or subdued... That doesn't happen through chance. That wasn't a close call. They got their ass handed to them and no single duel would change that, this was two 30K+ armies facing each other. If Rhaegar had slain Robert, he'd have promptly been taken out by somebody else nearby. It's clear the royals were getting overwhelmed.

The key here is that the rebels were battle hardened and the royals were not.

Archived