Davos Seaworth Appreciation Thread

Seaworth'sShipmate

He is one of the too few characters in the series that truly have well......character. He is a good man, he has a good heart. He is loyal and true to the man he believes should be king and that loyalty does not waver no matter what happens. He loves his family and wants a better life for what remains of his sons. He is brave, intelligent, a splendid strategist and politician. It is my opinion that he would make a wonderful king.

I am a man. I am kind to my wife, but I have known other women. I have tried to be a father to my sons, to help make them a place in this world. Aye, I’ve broken laws, but I never felt evil until tonight. I would say my parts are mixed, m’lady. Good and bad.

This pretty much wins me over. It says a lot about Davos. First, it demonstrates his honesty; he knows he is not the saintliest, purest person in the world yet he makes an effort to be. He also shows wisdom, the kind that Melisandre lacks, in saying that no one is, to borrow from Herman Hesse's titular character, Siddhartha, wholly saint or wholly sinner, but everyone is a mixture of both.

Davos is probably one of the few purely decent guys in the series. His POV's are great

comparatively, yes, in relation to other got characters. but by any widely accepted current real world estimations, he is at best deranged, more likely to be assessed as a sociopath or blood thirsty criminal collaborator and facilitator.

i was thinking today that davos represents the closest thing to a decent, by our (developed, civilized societal standards) own, albeit entirely irrelevant, standards; he does remain loyal to stannis, but stannis (who i liked a lot in terms of reading his chapters, and liked a little more in the show due to the actors portrayal) is responsible for, along with many others, for death and destructionon a grand scale.

for what? to impose his debatable right to be king, to be the highest authority in a society established and maintained by violence.

his assistants, whether down to earth peasant-come-lord, or slave-cum-sorceress, are engaged in the attempt to slightly elevate the status of an already massively privileged individual.

not meaning to be preachy, i have no desire to see more liberalism in the story; or in the real world, which is only superficially more enlightened.

but for one huge castle and lands and titles not to be satisfactory, and to dispose of the lives of ??many?? common-folk and soldiers to try to improve his lot, stannis shows he is very far from a good or decent person.

to not accede to the argument that robert, from whom stannis derives his 'rightful' claim, came to rule by non hereditary means and therefore weakens the inheritance right, shows a belligerence i could only attribute to gross stupidity or good old fashioned greed.

for power, position and ego satisfaction, greed is my conclusion, as i hate stupidity and like stannis.

and therefore all those who encourage or assist his mission are just as bad. i hope if i 'had the kings ear' i would point out he had it pretty good, his brother stole the crown while enraged about his best mates sister eloping/kidnapping/rebuttal/piety, and maybe he (stannis) should find some better way of spending his time.

yes, davos is the most decent person in the story, in my opinion, and in the opinion of most fans i would think; he is meant to be.

but being the most decent person in westeros is like being the prettiest woman in politics - not difficult.

• 6 months later...

Archived