What betrays that Martin is an American

Arbor Golden

Hopefully this hasn't been done to death. Tried to find it.

Title pretty much said it. One of the great things about this forum is that there are people from everywhere. Just a curious American. If you knew nothing of the author what passages or characters or whatever, if any, made you say, yeah this was written by an American. Go to town but try not to get this locked.

It's quite a Western fantasy saga and, though GRRM says that he doesn't insert direct parallels to modern events, I'm sure some of the inspiration for the world comes from the idea that America may be building towards an economic winter - that all empires reach a type of saturation point. It has long been my feeling that GRRM is quitely making comments about the empire he is part of with Westeros.

The incest.

kidding, KIDDING!

in all seriousness, nothing, tbh. He's good at what he does, and like all good authors makes you go beyond the creator and fully into the world they've created.

He's not my favorite fantasy author, but i'd argue he's one of the best (and not because his style is "fresh" "a new spin"- i don't think they make a series good, a stereotypical story can be great if executed well).

Sorry, got off track.

It's quite a Western fantasy saga and, though GRRM says that he doesn't insert direct parallels to modern events, I'm sure some of the inspiration for the world comes from the idea that America may be building towards an economic winter - that all empires reach a type of saturation point. It has long been my feeling that GRRM is quitely making comments about the empire he is part of with Westeros.

Interesting you should say that. After all, when the us economy was coming out of recession in the 80's reagan advertised it as "Morning in America."

Interesting you should say that. After all, when the us economy was coming out of recession in the 80's reagan advertised it as "Morning in America."

Well, all good fantasy/horror/Sci-Fi has some level of contemporary social commentary. It's probably not in GRRMs best interest to announce that part of his writing is a type of satire of his homeland but, if he does it subtly enough, people will get the 'feeling' of what his is writing and come to their own conclusions.

In broad economic terms, we could liken the North to Bears, the South to Bulls and know that Winter is Coming.

Last I was in England was the late 90s - but I was surprised that, on average, Poms were thinner than Yanks and Ozzies. I thought we'd all be much the same but for some reason the Poms look like they keep their average weight down more as a culture.

Archived