How do you retire into oblivion?

Tellus Explorer

So, as some of you know, I don't sleep too often, and when I do it isn't for long.... I was told this is a problem, and I would like to fix it.... I was wondering, does anyone else suffer with insomnia, ...how do you live through it?

Also, how do you guys relax to get to sleep, and stay that way?

I can't seem to get my internal alarm to stay off longer than four/five hours at a time before I wake up... when I try to go back to sleep, I just stay up longer....

thanks in advance :)

BTW, this is Cora

known previously under a few other handles

Exercise has really helped me, going to the gym or running might do the trick. A lot of times the lack of sleep comes from energy you still have and you haven't used that day. I like to combine that to ASMR.

(Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is a perceptual phenomenon characterized as a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp, back, or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, or cognitive stimuli.)

I follow a few people that make ASMR videos on Youtube, they are relaxing and perfect to watch before sleeping or if you're not being able to sleep.

I recently spent a few hours surfing the web to find relaxing techniques so I could get to bloody sleep. A good one is focusing on your breathing, and relaxing your body from your toes up. I also think "sinking down and shutting down", and imagine myself sinking into the softest mattress. It's a bit weird, but it does tend to work, and it's better than rolling around in bed for hours, watching time tick by.

Exercise has really helped me, going to the gym or running might do the trick. A lot of times the lack of sleep comes from energy you still have and you haven't used that day. I like to combine that to ASMR.

(Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is a perceptual phenomenon characterized as a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp, back, or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, or cognitive stimuli.)

I follow a few people that make ASMR videos on Youtube, they are relaxing and perfect to watch before sleeping or if you're not being able to sleep.

for some reason i feel like someone has mentioned this before... but I never took the time to look it up? ...I can't remember

I exercise everyday, and run a minimum of five miles before it ends...

I'll watch the video's now

for some reason i feel like someone has mentioned this before... but I never took the time to look it up? ...I can't remember

I don't think a lack of activity/too much energy is really applicable to you :p You are non-stop girly!

ETA: Sometimes I find background noise helpful. A movie, or relaxing music as I drift off to sleep.

A few other things that help - try to avoid caffeine close to the time you want to sleep. Even if you feel like you aren't affected by caffeine usually, you would be surprised what cutting out caffeine late at night can do.

Is your bed comfortable and warm enough? My sleeping at uni is not brilliant, and since I came home to q warm, comfortable bed I feel much more rested. If you feel your bed is uncomfortable, you could try buying a mattress topper. Cheaper than a new mattress, and very comfortable too.

Make sure you have a good pillow too, that supports you neck and shoulders, or whatever.

You really should. Even if you can't experience ASMR (not everyone can) the videos are still incredibly relaxing. I'd check out Heather Feather or Hailey Whispering Rose, they're two of the best imo :).

White noise. A good white noise can be relaxing, and lets me space out long enough for my brain to switch to standby. Otherwise, I just lie there thinking about things until the sun comes up.

Alternatively, I just get up and do things until I get tired and actually need to sleep. Humans naturally sleep in bursts, with brief periods of activity in between. Trying to force a continuous 8 hour sleep can be counterproductive, or even stressful. Relaxing and doing something productive has helped me sleep better than, say, worrying about how many hours I have left before I need to get up.

For general insomnia, avoid food, exercise or stress for an hour prior to sleeping. Do something that relaxes you, e.g. walk outside, read.

I have insomnia lately from carpal tunnel. It's so annoying.

also get away from screens. I, naturally, ignore this advice and am struggling with insomnia now. My excuse is that I've been on nights for a while now and this longterm non-vampiric lifestyle is strange and wrong.

Archived