Ned Stark in the Black Cells with a Spider, or The Madness of Mercy

Voxxer

The Madness of Mercy

This post is focused on the theory of R+L=J, and what Ned Stark means to do about it. I love the first book, it holds the most future foretelling out of any of the five. All quotes come from the first book, but some discussion is based on events from the other books.

To start, the single page that convinced me of R+L=J. Page 733, Bran's Last chapter in a Game of Thrones.

"The Maester had told him the stories, and Old Nan had made them come alive. "That one is Jon Stark. When the sea raiders landed in the east, he drove them out and built the castle at White Harbor....The were almost at the end now, and Bran felt a sadness creeping over him. "And there's my grandfather, Lord Rickard who was beheaded by Mad King Aerys. His Daughter Lyanna and his son Brandon are in the tombs beside him, Not me, another Brandon, my father's brother. They're not supposed to have statues that's only for the lords and kings, but my father loved them so much he had them done". "The Maid's a fair one," Osha said. "Robert was betrothed to marry her, but Prince Rhaegar carried her off and raped her," Bran explained. "Robert fought a war to win her back". He killed Rhaegar on the trident with his hammer, but Lyanna died and he never got her back at all" "A sad Tale".

After all the subtle hints about Jon Snow's parents. George writes in Jon Stark on the same page as Prince Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark. Even the page number is neat coincidence as 3s and 7s hold so much important value in the series Pretty easy to see what is going on here. Also, this takes place where Jon Snow's repeating dream keeps leading him to. Moving on, to my main points. Bran's not 100% right, his grandfather was burned alive by the king in a trail by combat. Also, it's possible that Brandon and Lyanna got statues because they were both a Lord (Brandon for only a moment after this father died), and Lyanna would be a queen if she married Rhaegar. But I have no proof of that. It's just a nice thought that explains their unexplained tombs in the crypts.

Now, that we have a little proof of whom Jon Snow's parents could be, I want to discuss what that means. If Jon is a trueborn son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, Jon Snow would have claim over everybody in the realm. The catch is his vows sworn on the wall and there is no way of understanding his birth and how to prove it. However I don't think the Nature of Jon's birth is that important to his story. I think the way he was raised and how it shaped him is more important to his character arc (nurture over nature). Being a bastard child of the noble Ned Stark, who has honor instead of blood in his veins. Having that dark cloud over his head is what makes him. The fact that he is a king disguised as a bastard son means everything he does is done by is own doing. Not his High birth status. I think the readers will learn of Jon's parents, but it won't mean to much to him if he every learns. There's a lot of room for dramatic irony here and I love it.

Now lets look at Ned.

My favorite, but still foolish character, Ned Stark. He may not so naive as we all think. During one of his last chapters alive, Ned Stark is slowly dying a dark death in the black cells. He is recalling old memories, some which include King Robert in the crypts of Winterfell (right in front of the statue of Lyanna Stark). Now he is eight and ten, and remembers the tourney of Harrenhal in the year of the false spring.Where the day belonged to Rhaegar Targaryen, whom after winning every tilt, crowns Lyanna Stark the queen of love and beauty.Then after he slips back to the present He thinks "promise me Ned". Which refers to his infamous dream of the Tower of Joy. Where Lyanna passed away in a bed of blood.

Short after he is visited by a glamoured Varys, with life like facial hair. Who then talks about how all men must serve, and He serves the realm. This leads me to believe that Varys has some connection to the Faceless Men. I'm not first to suggest this but, I cannot say if he still works for them or was exiled. Who knows, but nobody can really doubt his connection with dealing in secrets, murdering well, and changing his look to fool just about anyone. At one point he looks just like a women and fools Tyrion for a few moments.

But more to the point, Ned gives Varys a letter. Which could be anything, but I believe it's a letter confirming Jon's parents. The one thing he always wanted to tell jon, and now is his last chance. Also it could bear the King's royal seal, because he is still the hand of the king. "The Choice, my dear lord Hand, is entirely yours" Pg, 637 This quote from Varys proves that Ned is still the Hand and has some power left in the form of his letter that Varys now has and choose to keep in till it was best to serve him. "The Though of Jon filled Ned with a sense of shame and a sorrow too deep for words, if only he could sit down and talk to him." Pg. 635 It Makes a lot of sense that the letter would deal with Jon Snow somehow.It would include whatever is making Ned Stark feel so forlorn. The pain of this thought of Jon hurts him more then his fever, or his badly injured leg.

I think Varys is keeping Jon Snow as the ace up his sleeve. Varys is holding onto this letter, and is waiting to use it. That is the reason why the letter has faded into the background of the story, If The young griffon should somehow fall Jon Snow, will pick the torch with the help of Varys. The Golden Company would back another young dragon, one that was once Lord Commander of the Wall and a proven leader. Who also is serving the realm by making tough choices against the army of others. I think after meeting Jon Snow, Varys would see him as a great leader who was now has a second chance to save the realm and create peace.

Also to keep in mind is Robb Stark's will. Which was strongly hinted to make Jon Snow=Jon Stark. What else the will holds, I don't know. But I'm sure these two letters come to use somehow, and will have a shocking impact on the next books. Also much like Bran's 3 eye crow dream after he feel, After Jon's stabbing he will finally make it down to the weeping winterfell crypts.I don't think Jon could have all that dream build up, only for him to fade out of the story. After the end of a Dance of Dragons, Jon Snows Story is only ending, but Jon Stark's Story is just starting. An ending before a beginning, this kills the boy. (Har)

TL:DR

Vary=Some kind of faceless man in exile who has the last words of Eddard Stark in the form of a letter.

Jon has this letter, the will of Robb Stark, and something in the crypts of winterfell all giving proof of his parents and how he is trueborn. Also might be given a golden army if all should fail. Or maybe he is just dead.

Anyways, this is my first post, but I've been a long time lurker. Please be civil, I would love to discuss thoughts on this topic.

Ned didn't give any letter to Varys. He only asked him,if he would deliever a letter to Jon. And Even if Ned gave Varys a letter, he isn't such a fool to write something so explosive in that letter.

Varys mentioned that if he had pen and paper, that he would deliver a letter. I think the letter if it was written, it was off screen. Didn't happen because there was nothing at hand to write with. Also Ned is so desperate he might just give some explosive information to Varys. It's his last chance to talk to the outside world, and he is very weak and feverish. Plus his problem is having too much trust in the game of thrones players. Its the main reason why he is in the black cells in the first place. Ned Stark is a great man, a loving father, but a terrible and foolish Hand of the king. I think Ned stark would certainly trust Varys, it's his last to chance to set everything right. After Varys points out all of his blunders and mistakes, Ned would do what ever it took to make things right. No way he would pass on his last chance to use his power as the hand of the king. Was the only reason why Varys visited Ned was to give him some wine, or was it something else?

Anyways, The Black cell chapter is really well written,and I think it was under discussed on this forum. Moving on, how do you think Jon's crypt dream will play out? Will we ever see Robb's will? Also why does Varys spill the beans to everybody close to death?(Ned, Tyrion, Kevan). All his power comes from having ears in every wall, and hearing every secret, You would think he be very quite when doing his schemes.

Varys mentioned that if he had pen and paper, that he would deliver a letter. I think the letter if it was written, it was off screen. Didn't happen because there was nothing at hand to write with. Also Ned is so desperate he might just give some explosive information to Varys. It's his last chance to talk to the outside world, and he is very weak and feverish. Plus his problem is having too much trust in the game of thrones players. Its the main reason why he is in the black cells in the first place. Ned Stark is a great man, a loving father, but a terrible and foolish Hand of the king. I think Ned stark would certainly trust Varys, it's his last to chance to set everything right. After Varys points out all of his blunders and mistakes, Ned would do what ever it took to make things right. No way he would pass on his last chance to use his power as the hand of the king. Was the only reason why Varys visited Ned was to give him some wine, or was it something else?

Anyways, The Black cell chapter is really well written,and I think it was under discussed on this forum. Moving on, how do you think Jon's crypt dream will play out? Will we ever see Robb's will? Also why does Varys spill the beans to everybody close to death?(Ned, Tyrion, Kevan). All his power comes from having ears in every wall, and hearing every secret, You would think he be very quite when doing his schemes.

He has kept this secret from whole realm half his life, his own wife, whom he clearly came to love. Even if it put a mild shadow between that Perfect Couple. Ned did all that so Jon's identity remain a secret and his life {Jon} safe from all possible dangers for a Targ heir. He has learnt his lesson. He ain't gonna spill the beans now. No Way in Seven Hells, is he going to give that information to Varys.

And the reason for Varys' visit was that he wanted to convince Ned to confess,so that there won't be any further aggression from North and by extension Riverlands and possibly Vale, thus allowing the war to be contained as Illyrio Varys wanted.

He has kept this secret from whole realm half his life, his own wife, whom he clearly came to love. Even if it put a mild shadow between that Perfect Couple. Ned did all that so Jon's identity remain a secret and his life {Jon} safe from all possible dangers for a Targ heir. He has learnt his lesson. He ain't gonna spill the beans now. No Way in Seven Hells, is he going to give that information to Varys.

And the reason for Varys' visit was that he wanted to convince Ned to confess,so that there won't be any further aggression from North and by extension Riverlands and possibly Vale, thus allowing the war to be contained as Illyrio Varys wanted.

Yeah, you make a really good point. His promise to Lyanna is something he would take to the grave. I'm still hopefully Ned will somehow help Jon in the future.I have no idea how though. I can't believe Ned had the power of being the King's hand and did nothing with it. That was his biggest downfall, and point of my post was to prove that he did something good as Hand of the King, as his last act. Jon still has a lot of story left in him, I don"t think he is really dead. He still has Robb's will and the crypt dream left and who knows what else. I can't wait to find out what will happen to him.

Yeah, you make a really good point. His promise to Lyanna is something he would take to the grave. I'm still hopefully Ned will somehow help Jon in the future.I have no idea how though. I can't believe Ned had the power of being the King's hand and did nothing with it. That was his biggest downfall, and point of my post was to prove that he did something good as Hand of the King, as his last act. Jon still has a lot of story left in him, I don"t think he is really dead. He still has Robb's will and the crypt dream left and who knows what else. I can't wait to find out what will happen to him.

Ned downloaded all that he learned from Lyanna to Howland Reed, who had as good as reason to protect that secret, as did Ned. If Lyanna was Knight of Laughing Tree, she saved HR from humiliation, so he would be indebted to keep her secret. Ned also may have told Benjen, who was very close to Lyanna {sword practicing and all}.

I don't think Jon would claim his Targ side. He's been raised a Snow, Stark by extension, and I'm pretty sure the realm wouldnt claim him as a Targ. I feel if Varys was to anything with Jon he'd be more useful as a Stark, calming the North.

I thought Varys and Illyrrio's plan was to erupt the realm into madness, allowing them to attack while the realm was weak.

I don't think Jon would claim his Targ side. He's been raised a Snow, Stark by extension, and I'm pretty sure the realm wouldnt claim him as a Targ. I feel if Varys was to anything with Jon he'd be more useful as a Stark, calming the North.

I thought Varys and Illyrrio's plan was to erupt the realm into madness, allowing them to attack while the realm was weak.

Ultimately,Yes. But they didn't count on LF's machinations, which was causing the situation to deteriorate much faster than Varys Illyrio anticipated.

Archived