Hating the "badasses"

larastone

so you think that condoning rape in fiction is okay then? because i would say that even condoning rape in fiction is fucked up and is indicative of a person having some sexism ingrained in their minds.

lmao please, i have never blatantly defended or excused any of cersei's actions. just because i don't see her as a 1D character like many other people here do and think she has interesting motivations and talking about them isn't blatantly excusing her actions. blatantly excusing her actions would be something like "well everything she does is justified because she's trying to protect her kids". if people are grossed out with me doing a literary analysis on a character then that's their fucking problem tbqh and i can't say i care about it at all. and cersei isn't even my favorite, dany and arya take the cake for that but i'm just more loud about her because of how unbelievable disgusting pretty much every post about her turns out to be with how robert didn't rape her or making dumbass jokes about her sleeping with people that aren't jaime or corrupting ~jaime~ without having any ounce of knowledge about female sexuality.

and with this i think i'm done with this post tbqh.

You are still a fan of Cersei, who is, ironically, a rape apologist, but I guess that doesn't count because she is a woman. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that you don't like how people see Cersei as 1D character and don't consider her motivations and vulnerability, yet you do this same thing with the characters you listed. You may not justifying Cersei's actions (although honestly, you do sound like you are doing it a lot of times, even if you may not see it) but this:

And it gets even worse when they have a couple of vulnerablities or weak spots or something because then people just use that to woobify the shit out of them to the 500th dimensions.

is what you are doing with her all the time. Yet you whine when other people are doing it with a character you hate. You are just applying double standards here.

I won't really argue about it further, just expressed my opinion.

But then again, this is a work based on a medieval time in which power and strength were based on how a man proved himself on the battlefield. That's why we have so many men crushing skulls or sticking each other with pointy ends. Saying that they are simple is like saying athletes now lack deepness and are all dumb because they run around behind a ball to score points. That kind of thought is snobbish, rude and idiotic.

But true. Most top athletes are dumb. That's a fact of life. Most NBA and NFL end up bankrupt few years after their retirement, for example, despite their huge salaries. Most soccer players are total dumbasses.

Look at the highest rated movies nowadays: they all have a female badass who kick ass. literally kicks ass.

Not really. Most blockbusters barely have any women in the cast in the first place, and they are usually mostly eye-candy.

except there's like a thread once a week or every couple of weeks about how tywin wasn't so bad to tyrion.

No, there isn't. You're making that up.

and tyrion being privileged doesn't excuse any of the shit that tywin pulled on him it was even more goddamn predictable with how "TWOIAF" prompted all these woobie Tywin posts instead of you know, idk people showing some empathy towards Rhaella and Joanna. so goddamn predictable this forum.

That's because Tywin is a much more interesting and central character than Joanna or Rhaella, so of course there is going to be more commentary on him. Negative and positive.

No, I think that badass is a term for someone who's tough, uncompromising, defiant, brave, rebellious, dangerous, has an 'attitude'...

Yeah, I would agree with you... But general perception on badasses seems to be borderline defined as "scums we like"

you're missing the point. i already said that i don't care if people like characters who do immoral things, i only care when it turns into abuse and rape apologia which i've seen that it often does with some of these characters. Love Tywin as much as you want, but the moment you say any crap about how he wasn't ~so bad~ to Tyrion or that any of his actions are justified in any way is crossing the line and its the same with all the other characters.

its just that with many of these characters "badass" is used as the easy compliment or justification for their horrible crimes or likeability factor which comes across as shallow to me.

The problem is that you're being blind to the good things the characters have done, Robert for instance. He's never done anything that strikes me as terrible.

Badass is in the eye of the beholder. Hell, I consider Davos badass. He doesn't wield a sword and take down twenty bad guys at once. But he does a ton of dangerous shit that earns my respect enough for me to consider him badass.

What Davos did for Edric was quite badass.

The guy was also a smuggler, again pretty badass.

What Davos did for Edric was quite badass.

The guy was also a smuggler, again pretty badass.

I would never call Davos "badass." It's all subjective, but there has to be some darkness, some element of danger, for a character to be "badass" (imo). Davos has none of that. His saving Edric is smart, and the right thing to do.

I would never call Davos "badass." It's all subjective, but there has to be some darkness, some element of danger, for a character to be "badass" (imo). Davos has none of that. His saving Edric is smart, and the right thing to do.

Treason with Stan is pretty dangerous.

He secured Edric then faced Stannis, he did what he thought was right despite the danger, I think that's pretty badass.

Treason with Stan is pretty dangerous.

He secured Edric then faced Stannis, he did what he thought was right despite the danger, I think that's pretty badass.

He also ran through the Redwyne blockade at SE. If he was caught, they'd have no trouble executing him. Again, badass.

Archived