Unreliable narrators

TimJames

Some of the Point Of View characters are reliable and whatever they say is as good as gold.

Others ... not so much.

Which POV characters, in your opinion, are unreliable narrators?

Cersei thinks too much of herself and is therefore unreliable. She also likes to absolve herself of blame after the fact. (*coughBrancough*)

Sansa has moments of being unreliable - the name of Joff's sword and the Unkiss.

Dany also has moments where her information is unreliable - mostly all that bullshit Viserys filled her head with.

Eh, part of me thinks the whole "unreliable narrator" bit was just GRRM covering up his mistakes. I could be wrong, but I never looked into it that much either way.

They're certainly all biased. I wouldn't say that's the same thing as being unreliable.

This

That said, I think Cersei is a textbook example of a clearly unreliable narrator because of her extreme paranoia.

They are all capable of being unreliable when Martin needs them to be. Like when he wants to pretend they are dead, then suddenly, they don't know what's going on.

Some are worse than others, of course. Melisandre is pretty unreliable...she makes too many assumptions.

Since no one knows what all of the characters are up to, the POV characters can only give us their perspective based on what they know. Admittedly, some that know much and more are not POV characters and this is by design. GRRM knows if Howland had a POV that the mystery of the Tower of Joy would be solved way too soon.

If Littlefinger or Varys have POV chapters in the coming books, we are going to learn much more than we know now and understand much more. I would say that its about time that this happens too.

I will say this, I would LOVE to see Bloodraven POV chapters. I don't know if he would be reliable, but it sure would be interesting as all get out!

Archived